Spyder Garage

Default Just got the New Version V20.80 Firmware on my 2018 RT

Just got it done today. Version V20.80. Did not have the chance to try the new features, like headset music, but they added the range to empty feature. It shows how many miles left on the tank. How accurate it is remains to be seen. (sorry, the picture is sideway)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

I asked my dealer to do the upgrade before I took the bike. 2018 RTL. So, as you probably guessed I had no firmware upgrade when I looked.

My question is, did the dealer charge you to implement the upgrade?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I asked my dealer to do the upgrade before I took the bike. 2018 RTL. So, as you probably guessed I had no firmware upgrade when I looked.

My question is, did the dealer charge you to implement the upgrade?
    Mine didn't. They didn't even know the update was available for the RT. Their computer data bases only told them it was for the F3's. And a VIN number check said there were no updates for my RT either. It's a disconnect between Can-Am and the dealer's computer databases. I had to tell them if they plugged in the cable it would indicate on the bike that the update was available for my RT, and when they did that they agreed it should have been done before I picked up the bike from them. No charge to me.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks FalconAF, that's info I can use. My dealer may not be informed either.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

There was no charge although there was a discussion with the service manager regarding a recall stating that my VIN was not on a recall list. I had to educate the service manager that recalls are only issued if it was a SAFETY issue. Firmware upgrade is not a safety recall. Was at the dealer for almost 3 hours because they did not have the correct USB cable and had to run all over town to find one. Anyway, your dealer should do it free of charge and do not take the BS of recall.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

I just had mine done yesterday. My FL dealer was going to charge me $40 plus tax to do the upgrade since I was already at 13.2 (Earlier versions there is a service bulletin). I was ready to pay, just wanted the system to work. When the first technician hooked it up, I heard him telling some people there was no update available. Before I had a chance to talk to them, another technician said that's BS (my words), and that he would update it. A very short while later, I heard him talking with the service desk telling them it was ridiculous to charge me, that it should be a warranty issue. That was going to be me exact argument, even with 13.2 BRP Connect did not work reliably, and FM/Aux did not come over the bluetooth. Thought I'd have to have that discussion with BRP though. Long story short dealer did the right thing, and I was out of there in 30 mins for free.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Can someone tell me how to check my RT to see if it was updated before I bought it? It's a 2018 RT Limited. I'm new to the Can Am. I was reading the thread and did not know anything about an update. I bought it new in May of 2019. Due to illness, not riding it 'til lately. It's only got 478 miles on it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bandaide View Post
    Can someone tell me how to check my RT to see if it was updated before I bought it? It's a 2018 RT Limited. I'm new to the Can Am. I was reading the thread and did not know anything about an update. I bought it new in May of 2019. Due to illness, not riding it 'til lately. It's only got 478 miles on it. Thanks.
    Turn your key on and push the mode button. When the screen boots up, use the left had joy stick to navigate. Push in to get menu, scroll down to get the gear symbol, scroll to select the About symbol. Software revision will be in there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I checked mine this morning before heading out to work. v10.5. I called the dealer and scheduled for Saturday morning to update. They may or may not know about this so I'll reference this thread.

Thank you, SpyderLovers!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I checked mine this morning before heading out to work. v10.5. I called the dealer and scheduled for Saturday morning to update. They may or may not know about this so I'll reference this thread.

Thank you, SpyderLovers!
    That was the very first one. There has been several since that. You will notice much better sound and device connection.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    That was the very first one. There has been several since that. You will notice much better sound and device connection.
    I hope so. I'm a little disappointed that the dealer didn't bother to check that before I took delivery but as long as they don't try to charge me, I guess it's all good. I've been getting pretty frustrated trying to get everything to sync up. Hopefully, this alleviates that issue. I like my tunes. Maybe I can add GPS to the screen, too once I have this upgrade.

Any idea how long it should take to get the upgrade? 20 minutes? An hour?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I hope so. I'm a little disappointed that the dealer didn't bother to check that before I took delivery but as long as they don't try to charge me, I guess it's all good. I've been getting pretty frustrated trying to get everything to sync up. Hopefully, this alleviates that issue. I like my tunes. Maybe I can add GPS to the screen, too once I have this upgrade.

Any idea how long it should take to get the upgrade? 20 minutes? An hour?
    Mr. Monk,
    Do not be surprised if you get some BS from the dealer. Mine hadn't heard that the RT needed the upgrade, VIN didn't have the designation for upgrade, etc. etc. I finally had them run it as a warranty fix issue as my trip gauges weren't working as advertised. From the 10.5 to the newer 20.8 you will gain a miles to empty on the left side of the gauge, and your trip gauges will start calculating correctly. One hint I got was to zero all the gauges after the upgrade to make the mileages calculate correctly, even the total mile odometer. Took about 20 minutes to hook it up and download.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I know this is an older thread. Both my buddy and I got the latest 20.80 loaded about 1.5 or 2.0 years ago in our 2018's. My second 2018 is still on 13.20 and I have been given the run around by two different dealers. Has anyone got a dealer to do this update recently? TIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:15 PM. Reason: 20 years?!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I know this is an older thread. Both my buddy and I got the latest 20.80 loaded about 1.5 or 2.0 years ago in our 2018's. My second 2018 is still on 13.20 and I have been given the run around by two different dealers. Has anyone got a dealer to do this update recently? TIA
    You can try to get the update free, but 6 years have passed since the 20.8 update. It is worth paying the half hour it takes to update. Your music will work better along with your helmet headsets. You can listen to music thru your speakers or your Sena headset speakers ect. I still cannot figure out BRP Connect for maps and other things.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:16 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue