Spyder Garage

Default F3T or L air suspension vs Elka

What is better? Has anyone replaced the rear air shock with an Elka or added the air shock? Just wondering what has a more comfortable ride. Thanks
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The shock is separate from the air bag. Ride depends on the spring and damping control. There is a new vendor here that sells shocks.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I thought it was all one assembly. So does the air bag make a difference in ride quality? Or is it just there to take weight off the shock?
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I thought it was all one assembly. So does the air bag make a difference in ride quality? Or is it just there to take weight off the shock?
    It is to adjust ride height.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

What Bob said, JS. You can swap out your stock shock for any of the aftermarkets like Elka, Wilbers etc without going anywhere near the air ride bag........as an aside, I called it an air bag on one of the Facebook forums, and was swamped with people saying they didn’t get an air bag on their Spyder, even though the thread was about suspension. They all immediately thought of a crash airbag like comes on the Goldwing

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Help

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    What Bob said, JS. You can swap out your stock shock for any of the aftermarkets like Elka, Wilbers etc without going anywhere near the air ride bag........as an aside, I called it an air bag on one of the Facebook forums, and was swamped with people saying they didn’t get an air bag on their Spyder, even though the thread was about suspension. They all immediately thought of a crash airbag like comes on the Goldwing

Pete
    I just brought my 2021 F3-T home last night. I spent half the night checking on it in the garage cause I’m in love with it. After noticing that it was extra mushy, and ending up on this fine forum, I found my way to the valve under the passenger seat. Wouldn’t you know it— zero PSI. The people at the dealership are a gang of bozos (for many reasons).

Can you please tell me what Can Am recommends as a psi? I’m reading 15 40 even 60.

Thank-You.
    Ted

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    It is to adjust ride height.
    Bob
    I would agree, but it also affects the ride. It defiantly makes a difference in ride for me. I have 65# in when my wife rides with me and the ride is perfect. If I leave the 65# in when I'm by myself the ride is very firm. Usually have about 35 or 40# for great ride and handling by myself.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    I just brought my 2021 F3-T home last night. I spent half the night checking on it in the garage cause I’m in love with it. After noticing that it was extra mushy, and ending up on this fine forum, I found my way to the valve under the passenger seat. Wouldn’t you know it— zero PSI. The people at the dealership are a gang of bozos (for many reasons).

Can you please tell me what Can Am recommends as a psi? I’m reading 15 40 even 60.

Thank-You.
    Ted
    Please read your manual. Lots of important info there, including recommended PSI. There's also a label near the fill valve I believe.

Spyder Garage

Thank-You Michael. Couldn't seem to locate that particular topic upon glancing last night but I'll read it inside out when I get home. (FYI-- no sticker anywhere near the valve on the 2021)

Spyder Garage

Thank-You Michael. Couldn't seem to locate that particular topic upon glancing last night but I'll read it inside out when I get home. (FYI-- no sticker anywhere near the valve on the 2021)
    Your right about the sticker. I just went and looked at mine and it the sticker is on the bottom of the passenger seat. I knew it was there somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

After noticing that it was extra mushy, and ending up on this fine forum, I found my way to the valve under the passenger seat. Wouldn’t you know it— zero PSI. The people at the dealership are a gang of bozos (for many reasons).
    Thank-You.
    Ted
    Wow.......it’s great to know that the manual set option is still available on the 2021 F3 T, Ted. I MUCH prefer that to the auto adjust option..... and you certainly aren’t the first to leave a dealer with zero in the air bag... it’s an all too common occurrence.
    .....and just by way of info, as you now know where your sticker is, I am running my airbag at around 65-70psi for my 310lb frame.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Your right about the sticker. I just went and looked at mine and it the sticker is on the bottom of the passenger seat. I knew it was there somewhere.
    Found that exact chart in my owner’s manual. I’m about 175 lbs and I often ride with my wife or kids (all really light) so I set up at 40psi :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Wow.......it’s great to know that the manual set option is still available on the 2021 F3 T, Ted. I MUCH prefer that to the auto adjust option..... and you certainly aren’t the first to leave a dealer with zero in the air bag... it’s an all too common occurrence.
    .....and just by way of info, as you now know where your sticker is, I am running my airbag at around 65-70psi for my 310lb frame.

Pete
    Beautiful !! And thanks Pete. It’s my first bike of any kind and you guys here on this forum are awesome. I’m glad I found it.... and you all. :-)

Spyder Garage

Thank-You.
    Ted
    Ted...

I have played with the psi and like 15psi for one up. For me, it lowers the center of gravity and helps my F3T hug the road better than any higher setting. I run up to 60psi or more if I have 2 up and perhaps other weight.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Ted...
    I have played with the psi and like 15psi for one up. For me, it lowers the center of gravity and helps my F3T hug the road better than any higher setting. I run up to 60psi or more if I have 2 up and perhaps other weight.
    Regards,
    Don
    Yeah, that is far and away the best option if you have the patience, Don. Everyone’s thresholds and gut feelings are different. You HAVE to find what suits you personally

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

At 175lbs, one up, I find 25Lb works for me.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    At 175lbs, one up, I find 25Lb works for me.
    Everybody's pucker factors different!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl