Spyder Garage

Default Took Screw Out Of End Of Hand Grip - So now what?

Trying to remove mirror in order to install yellow Caterpillar o-ring(s) for a highly effective cruise control. But mirror is not loose one iota, and does not pull off nor even pivot. So what now?

Spyder Garage

I had to pull hard on the mirrors while twisting back and forth to get them out.

I was expecting it to take less effort, but I really had to put some oomph! into it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyuberalles View Post
    I had to pull hard on the mirrors while twisting back and forth to get them out.

I was expecting it to take less effort, but I really had to put some oomph! into it.
    I saw on a video that there is a captive nut that squeezes the end of the mirror in the tube, and I thought loosening the screw about 1/2" then banging it in would loosen it, but it would not budge (screw would not move in a bit).

Spyder Garage

Default Get a bigger hammer....

Well sort of. If you have the screw out you could get a longer one and thread it back in and give it a few more taps this will avoid damaging the original screw. From the parts breakdown it looks like the end fitting is split and the box nut is pulled in by the bold spreading the end to make pressure and hold it in place.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Well sort of. If you have the screw out you could get a longer one and thread it back in and give it a few more taps this will avoid damaging the original screw. From the parts breakdown it looks like the end fitting is split and the box nut is pulled in by the bold spreading the end to make pressure and hold it in place.
    Screw threaded back in fine after being fully removed. When I banged on it, screw was fully threaded into nut. Just banged with end of screwdriver pretty hard. Maybe I do need a bigger hammer!

Just got this from Lamonser that sells handlebar mounted mirrors:

"Tread the bolt back in but don't tighten it. Then push or tap in on the bolt and the mirror will pop off."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe with the screw out, use some silicone spray and stick the nozzle tube extender in the hole and see if that helps loosen things up. cueman

Spyder Garage

It sounds like the mirrors use a 'BarkBuster' device to secure them. You might need to do more than just tap them with a screwdriver; and unthread the screw about 1/4" at a time as you 'tap' it with a hammer. I wouldn't take the screw all the way out, you might lose the jamb nut inside the bar. It shouldn't take a great deal of force but enough to dislodge the jamb nut from the expander.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From the parts breakdown it looks like the end fitting is split and the box nut is pulled in by the bold spreading the end to make pressure and hold it in place.
    Yup. It was just really snug for me. Silicone spray probably would have helped, but I was able to muscle it out.

Spyder Garage

I took my mirrors off to put on foam grips. Loosened the screw enough then twisted mirrors back and forth. Both came out fine. I kept the mirrors off as I put on larger bar mount mirrors — Ordered end caps and placed them on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZRykerGal View Post
    I took my mirrors off to put on foam grips. Loosened the screw enough then twisted mirrors back and forth. Both came out fine. I kept the mirrors off as I put on larger bar mount mirrors — Ordered end caps and placed them on.
    Which mirrors did you put back on?

Spyder Garage

Update!!! Oh, come on!!! I finally received my cruise control o-rings, and this time I loosened screw at end of handlebar quite a bit, and pounded it to push inside nut away to hopefully loosen/remove mirror mount, but when I pivot it back & forth, ONLY the mirror mount pivots, and the plastic tube inside the metal tube does not budge!!!

Spyder Garage

They are hard to remove and put back on.I removed the screw completely and twisted and pulled to remove and twisted and pushed to put back on.The nut that the screw goes into sits in a grove that spreads the plastic tube.Good luck,stay at it they will come off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    They are hard to remove and put back on.I removed the screw completely and twisted and pulled to remove and twisted and pushed to put back on.The nut that the screw goes into sits in a grove that spreads the plastic tube.Good luck,stay at it they will come off.
    I'll need to use a narrow vise grip to grasp the actual tube inside the handlebar apparently.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE! I finally got it, and it didn't take vise grips either. Surprisingly it took only one o-ring to lock the throttle. I thought it would take 2 or 3. So now I have 3 extra o-rings. If anyone wants one, PM me your address.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Update!!! Oh, come on!!! I finally received my cruise control o-rings, and this time I loosened screw at end of handlebar quite a bit, and pounded it to push inside nut away to hopefully loosen/remove mirror mount, but when I pivot it back & forth, ONLY the mirror mount pivots, and the plastic tube inside the metal tube does not budge!!!
    Remove the controls and use the index hole to spray some break free or WD40 toward the end of the handlebar. Use the spray tube attached so you can direct the spray at the bar end and give it a good spray. Let it set a few minutes and then try working it free.

Spyder Garage

How it looks with FINALLY being able to remove mirror, and install a simple, highly effective o-ring for cruise control:IMG_20190505_111054 (1).jpg

It fits PERFECTLY!

I believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle; Keep It Simple, Stupid! This el cheapo, highly effective CC fits the bill!