Spyder Garage

Default New 2018 RTL Blue Chrome First Ride

After what seemed like an excruciating wait for my accessories to get installed, they called me to come pick it up. The ride home was thrilling to put it mildly. Riding in about a 20-25 MPH crosswind on Kenda's that were under-inflated at 16 PSI front and 24 PSI rear (Didn't find that out until the next day). Crap tires are so bad they make the handlebars jump at 45 MPH. Out of round. Thanks to all the very knowledgeable folks on here I already have 2 new Vredestein's 175/55R15's on hand, waiting on the rear to come in. Just don't know if I should take it back to make BRP eat the same crap they're serving us and at least give me some good Kenda's to take off.

I'm still in the break in period, so nothing too exciting as far as the speed goes. I bought a Krikit, belt tension wheel off the ground was 220 Lbs. While down there, I noticed the belt is running against the flange on the rear to the right, but also the front sprocket flange to the left. I lowered the off the ground tension to ±180 LBS, and tried to split the difference on alignment. I have about a micron of clearance on the back flange, and that gives me about the same clearance at the front. Nowhere near spec, but not touching and also not heating up or making noise. Has anyone every had that kind of issue? I read that the belt can touch one flange, but not two. If you had to pick one, would you go for the rear because it's moving slower? Is there anything to help the front alignment? Nothing in the service manual as far as technical alignment of the engine.

The bike wallowed at first due to the low tire pressure. Brought the fronts to 20 PSI, rear to 28 PSI, the bike became really flighty. Probably me white knuckling it. Got better when I set the pressures at minimums 18/26. Seemed to smooth things out slightly. Still needs a ROLO alignment though.

First tank yielded 35 MPG, but that's assuming the odometer is measuring correctly. Power on this bike is great, transmission is smooth as silk. I think I sprained my grin muscles. I didn't know it, but the computer won't let you shift at too low of an RPM range, reckon this is to protect the high revving motor from lugging. Hard to break old habits! Nice feature though.

I can say this about the accessories I put on. I gave up 2 wheels because of spinal damage, pain, and loss of strength. I rode my bike over to the dealer to trade it in, that short jaunt messed me up pretty bad pain wise. I chose the adjustable driver backrest and Tri-Axis bars to get all my broke junk aligned over my hips. Considering I'm only 5'8", that's usually impossible on almost everything I've ever ridden. Those 2 options allow me to maintain a perfect alignment, and riding this fun machine is no more painful for me than driving a car. I wholeheartedly recommend those two options for folks suffering from neck and back pain.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

welcome aboard, the more you ryde the more you will understand about your RT.
    Don't rush the learning curve, it is sooo different than your two wheeler. Go when you can, and have fun.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

h0gr1der, Congrats on getting and setting up your new ride. " I think I sprained my grin muscles. " made me bust a gut, here, here. Well said.
    You should see/feel marked improvement with your new tires.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

&

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

We like pictures/or it didn't happen.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I'm working on it. I'm old and crotchety, can only do one thing at a time. Right now I'm trying to wipe this stupid grin off my face. That RTL can be pushed into a corner much more energetically than I thought possible.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Ms Deanna777,

Finally got a pic in my avatar. It seems to reject it everywhere else, maybe size limitations. I'll figure it out. Meanwhile, gotta go ride!
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

on your new

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red