Spyder Garage

Default Google map route to Garmin GPS

Does anyone create routes using Google maps, and then upload them to Garmin? I've been using the MyRoute app with a lot of success, but I'd like the feature of having audio directions as well. I thought I'd try both my phone and my GPS to see which option is better. If you create routes using Google and then send it to a Garmin, could you share how you do that please?

Rick
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Use Garmin BaseCamp. Free software from Garmin site. After map is created it can be easily exported to the gps as an .xml file. Piece of cake. I can even do it��.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Rick, I do export the Google Map created route in MyRoute app and then export it using their directions to my Zumo. Is that what you're referring to?
    Seems I had to experiment with using the different export options to get the Zumo to follow the actual same path.
    While viewing the route on my computer, with a USB cord to connect my Zumo, I click on the Export tab in MyRoute.
    The first time you have to install the connector, (after that you won't). You should see something like,
    Installation
    The connector enables you to put routes directly onto your navigation system through USB. Before being able to use this convenient tool, the program must be installed.

Install the connector

Use the connector
    Through the "Open route"-button, the connector is started.
    Connect your navigation system through USB.
    Click on the "Export" button. Your navigation system is now ready for the trip!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Are you looking to use on GPS or your smart phone? I've found 4 apps that work on GPS and the smart phone; Google Maps, MyRoute (fee), Bike GPX (if you want voice turn by turn, there is a fee), H-D Drive. If you create a map on your computer with Google Maps and you have Google Maps on your phone, as long as you sign in to Google, the maps created on your computer are available on your phone. The same goes for H-D Drive. Create on your computer and they are available on your phone. I'm having an issue with H-D where the "sound" is not coming through on the phone.....working on a resolution. MyRoute app is very good, but I've had issues when creating a PDF where the instructions were not right. MyRoute is very easy to export to GPX of KML files and other types. You can export directly to your Garmin with MyRoute. There are pros and cons to any app you get. You just have to try them and see which one fits what you want to do. It is possible to create a custom route and have it exportable to anyone via any social media.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryinWI View Post
    Use Garmin BaseCamp. Free software from Garmin site. After map is created it can be easily exported to the gps as an .xml file. Piece of cake. I can even do it��.
    +1 for BaseCamp. The learning curve is a bit steep and right now the Help function does not work; reported it to Garmin a couple of days ago. The Garmin tech told me to go the the Garmin homepage and navigate to the Support section where I was able to view and download the BaseCamp manual http://static.garmin.com/pumac/BaseC...p%20-%20PC.pdf.
    I've been using the program for a number of years and once you get over the learning curve bow wave it works very well, IMO. It is not for the impatient however and I refuse to let it defeat me. The Garmin techs have all been very helpful although I find some appear to be more knowledgeable than others about the program.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I really do like the MyRoute app, and have gotten pretty good with it and my Garmin GPS. The only reason I'm looking into Google maps is to have mapping with audio, and music in one single device, my phone. I like Google maps for creating routes, but it only allows 10 waypoints per route.....from what I've experienced anyway. I'll keep putzing, but it's lookin like I'll stick with the MyRoute app for creating my routes for my Garmin.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I do like that the MyRoute App doesn't have the 10 point limit, yet can use Google Maps (at least in my paid version).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020