Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I am having this same issue with my 2010 RT SM5 in that it goes through 1/2 to a full quart in under 300 miles.
    I bought it used in October with very low miles so she’s only had one oil change and it’s now due for the next one.

I would be ok with loosing that much oil between changes but the current rate essentially renders the Spyder to be a pretty lame machine and I’m super disappointed. My wife and had a 4 day weekend of riding planned and I made the judgement call to turn back home after day 1 and grab the car given how much oil I had to add at the end of day 1. I have ridden various sport-touring class bikes over the past 20 years and have NEVER had need to carry oil or be concerned about checking it mid way through a ride. The town we we were in this weekend had the synthetic oil I needed but only in gallon size. We used a small amount and had to leave the rest behind. A ridiculous waste of money. It was cheap insurance to ensure we were topped off and got safely home but I’m at the point where I can’t rely on this bike to get me through a multi day ride lest I risk being be stranded in in the middle of no where on some forest road with a low oil indicator and or check engine light.

CJ.RamMan, I’d love to know whether you got this issue resolved on your ryde and what you learned regarding the cause. I’m really hoping there is a path to resolution. I really want to like the Spyder but I refuse to accept dealer BS of, “...yeah, that’s normal....”. Normal and acceptable if you’re ok with staying close to home but that never has been in my plan. It’s not what sport touring is about. The RT should be an ULTIMATE platform for this sport but frailties like this are making me regret the purchase.

And yes, I check the oil PRECISELY per the owner manual instructions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has successfully conquered this excessive oil consumption issue.
    2019 RTL , Phoenix Orange Metalic

Spyder Garage

not sure of my " extra imput here " 2012 r-t semi auto ( with clutch ) used around 7 or 8 ounces at if I remember right 1200 miles around there maybe even a little higher 1500 miles , we just tour no hot rodding , easy riding ... / 2011 r-t limited seems to be about the same auto shift , easy riding although the shift R-P-M are a bit more higher , the oil usage seems to be almost the same around the 1200 to 1500 mile mark --- about 7 ounces ( BRP oil 1/2 synthetic blend )