Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another 998 oil consumption question

I have a 2013 RT-S that seems to use an excessive amount of oil. I have searched the forum and it appears the 998 has an oil consumption habit, but then I saw people were adding half a qt between oil changes. I'm adding half a qt every few hundred miles. One post said consumption is higher if you have the stock crankcase ventilation system. What is the modified crankcase ventilation system? I'm hoping to find a solution to the consumption issue before having to sink a ton of money at a dealer or carry a case of oil with me when I go on a long trip. And because I will be asked. I check the oil after riding so the oil temp is up and within the 2 minute mark. I have no drip marks on my garage floor under the machine. Thanks in advance!

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Mine burns 8 oz. per 500 miles.Dealership said its "normal" 2014 ST......

Spyder Garage

Dealerships will tell you just about everything wrong with your Spyder is 'Normal'. Makes it hard to know when they are right.

I would say a quart in 2,000 miles is excessive. Though I am not sure what is normal.

Oil usage will vary somewhat depending on what oil you use, how heavily you are loaded, plus where and how you ride. Running hard and heavy at high RPM, changing speeds a lot on mountain roads will increase oil usage. I use about a quart in 6,000-6,500 miles. As far as I know, this is about average for most of my Amsoil customers. Maybe some will chime in here.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That's pretty much the amount of oil my 2013 RT uses when we're cruising/touring the open road & sitting at a steady speed for long distances. But riding like stink thru the twisties or playing hard on the backroads in the Hills uses about twice that, sometimes more. It seems to me that the amount of oil used depends very much on the amount of open/shut/open work my right wrist gets on the throttle, and it doesn't seem to be bothered much at all by running at high(ish) revs for long periods, IF it's done with a steady throttle.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I am runnin valvoline 10/40 full syth. now......I have tried castrol as well.Mostly used the brp oil/kit. ALL of em do the same.Aprox. 2 quarts at 5000 miles. Been this way since new. I try to keep the rpms at 4800 rpms.Shift at 6 and hardly ever go 7000 rpms. Never more than 8. 30000 Miles. Its still under warranty.Im goin to the dealership in a couple days.....Ill see what they say...AGAIN

Spyder Garage

I'm definitely not under warranty. It just seems a bit concerning. I filled it with oil, rode probably about 300 miles and my level is near having to add another half qt. Unfortunately I have quite a bit invested in this machine so I can't justify selling or trading to get a newer model. I guess on the bright side I have a machine that changes it's own oil.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    I'm definitely not under warranty. It just seems a bit concerning. I filled it with oil, rode probably about 300 miles and my level is near having to add another half qt. Unfortunately I have quite a bit invested in this machine so I can't justify selling or trading to get a newer model. I guess on the bright side I have a machine that changes it's own oil.
    This statement reminds me of another oil consumption possibility. Over filling your oil. This will definitely add to your oil consumption issues and can also tend to put oil in your air box.

If you are checking your oil level cold, before you ride, you are likely to overfill. Always ride for several miles before checking your oil level. I check my oil level right after I get back from a ride. On long trips I may check my oil at a gas stop. Hotel parking lots are not always level. This is the only way to be sure you are getting an accurate reading. And prevent over filling.

Spyder Garage

I haven't checked the air box yet but I do check my oil after I ride and in the garage where it's on a level surface.

2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

I haven't checked the air box yet but I do check my oil after I ride and in the garage where it's on a level surface.
    I am assuming that you're changing oil at the recommended 4,500 mile mark. This is important if you are using the BRP blended oil as it tends to lose a lot of viscosity around the 4,000 mile mark. Lower viscosity will definitely increase oil consumption. If you're getting a lot of oil in your air cleaner it will start to drip out of the right front corner. Since this is not happening I don't think you're losing any significant amount through the crank case breather.

Spyder Garage

I have only done one oil change on it. My bike only has 5000 miles on it so far.

2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

I use about a quart between oil changes. I use BRP Blended oil. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I have only done one oil change on it. My bike only has 5000 miles on it so far.
    Oil consumption should diminish as you get more miles on your Spyder. Though I still think what you are using now is more than it should be.

Spyder Garage

I'm planning a big trip this summer so I will probably try to get it into the shop before long to have them check it out.

2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

Last year, a buddy and I took our '12 and '13 RT's on a 5,000 mile trip and used about a quart each. We'd each done an oil and filter change before the trip, checked oil each night at then end of our days ride, and bought and shared a quart when both were near/at the add mark. Also did a Blackstone oil report at the end of the trip and Blackstone reported still usable oil life left. Still did a full filter and oil change after the ride.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I'm planning a big trip this summer so I will probably try to get it into the shop before long to have them check it out.
    What kind of oil are you using( brand and viscosity)
    , and at what mileage was the oil change done?

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

It was the brp branded oil and it was changed just before the 4000 mile mark.

2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

Got my wires n plugs Ron.......THANKS! Question......I posted my oil and RPMS above. What are your thoughts on it? Should I run it at lower rpms? The tech guy at the dealership explained that the 990s were designed to burn oil. I was really taken aback about it to start with n had some REAL questions for the dealer. I dont mind topin it off as long as its not hurting the engine life. TY For your knowledge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    Got my wires n plugs Ron.......THANKS! Question......I posted my oil and RPMS above. What are your thoughts on it? Should I run it at lower rpms? The tech guy at the dealership explained that the 990s were designed to burn oil. I was really taken aback about it to start with n had some REAL questions for the dealer. I dont mind topin it off as long as its not hurting the engine life. TY For your knowledge.
    The 998 is designed to rev. It's hard to evaluate someones RPM range and shift points as there is no 1 Size Fits All solution. Under light loads with light throttle, running anywhere above 3,500 RPM is fine. Same for up-shifting to 3,500 RPM. If you are riding in hilly country or more aggressively, then a minimum or 4,500 is probably better. Running much over 7,000 RPM starts to drop your power curve numbers and is not usually efficient. But it won't hurt anything either.

Obviously, more aggressive, hard throttle, high RPM will tend to burn more oil than straight line cursing on flat roadways.

Spyder Garage

Default Vent modifications for 998

See post #7 on this link for modifications to the crankcase vent.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...l%2Bvent%2Bcan
    Reduces oil loss and consumption. Parts are shown in the later posts.
    There is another post dealing with oil level and the effects of vent modification.
    I'll look for it tonight when I get home.
    David C.
    Last edited by Haze; 04-24-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thank you David. I'm going to look into that some more.

2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, other than idling at a stop I typically keep my Spyder at 4500 rpm for cruising and typically shift a little over 6000 when getting up to speed.

2013 RTS

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When we had the twin I kept the oil between add and full. About a quart used between oil changes
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

We have found the 998s blow more oil into the crankcase vent when they are near the full line. Advise keeping the hot oil level between the add line and halfway up the the hatch markes.

Just fyi, when checking the oil level cold, this will normally have the dipstick just wet on the tip.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just fyi, when checking the oil level cold, this will normally have the dipstick just wet on the tip.
    That's good to know.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

No one has mentioned to make sure the dip stick is screwed in to check oil. Just dipping it in is not accurate. Also, when I got mine there was a big fat Oring on the stick. And it leaked. With the proper, more slim Oring, the measurement comes out a little different.

Try this; don't fill it to the full mark. Fill to halfway between the add and full. Keep an eye on it. I'll bet you get better results.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited