Spyder Garage

Default 2014 rt funk lock

i HAVE A 2014 RT THE ELEC SWITCH FOR THE FUNK DOES NOT WORK. ANY IDEA WHERE I START TROUBLESHOOTING IT? CANNOT FIND A FUSE OR ACCESS TO THE SWITCH TO CHECK FOR POWER.

Spyder Garage

Are ypu certain that you have the switch? BRP eliminated the electric switch in model year 2014 due to safety concerns (some owners accidently released the brake instead of opening the frunk) At any rate my 2014 doesn't have that switch, so I cannot help.

Spyder Garage

If you look on pg 43 of the of the operator's guide the picture of the switch for the front trunk is one of a number of errors the BRP technical writers missed. As LongIsland said there is no electric frunk switch on the 2014s. Updating manuals is not one of BRP's strong suits IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy View Post
    i HAVE A 2014 RT THE ELEC SWITCH FOR THE FUNK DOES NOT WORK. ANY IDEA WHERE I START TROUBLESHOOTING IT? CANNOT FIND A FUSE OR ACCESS TO THE SWITCH TO CHECK FOR POWER.
    Imho the elec lock is not worth the trouble and expense to deal with it …. just put a pull cable or cord on the release lever and use that … I have since 2014 …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless you added a electric release you may not have a 2014RT

If you do have one its next to the latch under the black cover when you open the frunk.

Spyder Garage

Here is the picture of the switch i have 20190422_180044.jpg

Spyder Garage

That looks like the switch in the op guide picture. Is yours a Ltd or RT or RT-S.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The 2014 does not have the electronic frunk switch. You have to use the key.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What? That looks like park brake and heated grips switches. The frunk is released by the key on 2014 RTL.
    2018 RTL--------------------------------2018 RTL
    Champagne Metallic-------------------Oxford Blue
    Lamonster Pegs------------------------Lamonster Pegs
    Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts----Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts
    Big Bike Parts Backrests--------------Big Bike Parts Backrests
    Magic Mirror mounts------------------Magic Mirror mounts
    Tri-Axis Handlebar---------------------Tri-Axis Handlebar
    KurYakyn Grips-------------------------Foam Grips

2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like to engage and disengage the parking brake and the heated grip/seat switches

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy View Post
    Here is the picture of the switch i have 20190422_180044.jpg
    I think you may an early production model of the 2014 and the factory guys used switches left over from previous years! Or maybe, your switch cluster was assembled before BRP decided to not include the electric opener.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting

https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder.../dp/B01FG3JK8S

I should go look at my 2014 RT now..

Updated and just checked mine. The lower switch just has black nubs no picture.

Now if you did have one the power actuator will be next to the frunk latch under the black cover.

Spyder Garage

Fireguy, Your pic shows the Park Brake/Frunk Unlock switch just like the one on my 2013 RT Ltd, so you must've been lucky (or maybe not?) & scored a 2014 with the 2013 spec Park Brake/Frunk switch! However, the Frunk lock component of those switches failed with alarming regularity or at least wouldn't pass enough electrickery to trip the latch, so even on the models that should have them, they often don't work all that well!

That's widely considered to be at least part of the reason BRP pulled them from the 2014 models & haven't fitted them since! Altho I do know that a few new 2014 buyers at the time bought the 2 part switch as a spares item & installed it themselves (the wiring was still there under the unused switch) with the idea that they'd regain the electronic switch activated opening capacity..... only as mentioned, the BRP switch spends more time not working than otherwise, & it isn't really a cheap part to replace!

The switch on my RT works maybe 1 time out of every hundred or so attempts, & it's the 3rd replacement that's gone exactly the same way! At least I only paid for the first replacement (can't remember the exact price, but do recall it was stiff!) the others have failed fairly quickly & have been replaced under warranty as dud parts from the supplier! I'm not going to bother replacing any more, altho I might try putting in an a/mkt switch if the wiring will permit!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think you may an early production model of the 2014 and the factory guys used switches left over from previous years! Or maybe, your switch cluster was assembled before BRP decided to not include the electric opener.
    You took the words right out of my mouth and Peter added some confirmation, as usual. Fireguy: look on the VIN sticker on the left side swing arm and you should see at the right end of the top line the month and year of manufacture. Mine says 03/2014 and my leftmost switch in the cluster has only a parking brake switch. If yours has a XX/2013 mfg date you have the answer: BRP was getting rid of old inventory or, imo, their logistics planning didn't have the new, single parking brake only switch when production began.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 and added the frunk switch. I'm about to put my third switch in ..... but this time with an added relay and a power lead from the battery. 12v SPST relays are cheaper than those switches!