Spyder Garage

Default 1st post.....RT vs F3?

Hi guys and gals....

I am buying a new 2018 Spyder (same bike, bigger rebates?). I have ridden an RT last year and wife and I loved it.

I have NOT ridden an F3 (the one with the bags and windshield), and am wondering if the seating position is the only real difference?

I have been on new Harleys (new Harleys almost every year....Ultras and SGs) since 2010 after years of metric sport bikes.

I hope to get to the dealer soon to ride one, but my question is do I even need to ride it after liking the RT so much? Is the F3 a lesser machine in any way?

Thanks, and I look forward to my 1st Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I have an RT but I liked the F3 a lot when I briefly rode it in the Can Am class. I’d say your trying one at the dealership is the way to go and let your butt give you the answer!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Test ryde is needed....

many can give you their opinion some will be different as to better or not and in the end it will be you and the passenger that need to decide. I have seen that the most important will be the passengers comfort and like as the driver has many adjustment that can be made. Get in that test ryde before cause like tattoos this are expensive and hard decisions to reverse....

Oh, Welcome to the site
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I recommend riding both. That way, YOU, will be able to determine what is best for YOU.

Me personally...I did not like the ergos of the F3. So, I am still an RT person. I do like the LOOKS of the F3 better than the RT though. I thought I needed a red one (no top trunk) for awhile.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I recommend riding both. That way, YOU, will be able to determine what is best for YOU.

Me personally...I did not like the ergos of the F3. So, I am still an RT person. I do like the LOOKS of the F3 better than the RT though. I thought I needed a red one (no top trunk) for awhile.
    I really like the looks of the RT and wanted one for a long time. Road both at a Can-Am sponsored training and bought an F3T because I like the "ergos."

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks folks.

I'm going to ride the F3 LTD tomorrow and then decide.

Hope to bring one home tomorrow. Excited.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I tried an F3 and find that the seating position, for me anyway, is just too uncomfortable and I could not lift my foot enough yo operate the brake....that was the same reason that I had to give up 2 wheels. Looking at the RT and the F3, I would choose, for looks only, the F3. Long and short of it is, try them both......each for at least a couple of hours if you can, so you get a chance to see which one “suits” you. jmho wtfdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised that in these RT vs. F3 threads handling does't come up more often! Besides looks, ergos, and storage, I think handling is one of the biggest differences between them. My personal experience is that the F3 line handles soooooo much better than the RT. I do consider myself a "spirited" rider, so maybe I notice it more.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I'm surprised that in these RT vs. F3 threads handling does't come up more often! Besides looks, ergos, and storage, I think handling is one of the biggest differences between them. My personal experience is that the F3 line handles soooooo much better than the RT. I do consider myself a "spirited" rider, so maybe I notice it more.
    This is what I like to hear...the differences between the two. Handling is important to me as well. What makes the F3 handle better?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flattracker60 View Post
    This is what I like to hear...the differences between the two. Handling is important to me as well. What makes the F3 handle better?
    Lower center of gravity and rider position. Way more fun in the twisties. Get an F3, F3S or F3T and it will be more spirited also - larger rear sprocket!

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I've had both and here is what I think you want to hear.
    The RT has better stock wind protection. With Baker air wings added and closed, the passenger temperature rises by about 10 degrees. Seems engine heat gets redirected to the passenger? This is really nice when the sun drops or on cooler days. However, adding Baker air wings and a Madstad shield to my F3L matched the wind protection I had on my RT. All things equal, my F3L does not seem to deliver the extra engine heat to the passenger like my RT did.
    Driver comfort for me is better on the F3L AFTER I dialed it in. I had to modify the brake pedal height, play with the floor boards angles and back rest. It's more of a cockpit riding comfort vs. sitting up high in comfort on the RT. Flat out, my F3L is the better handling machine. It's less affected by high winds and can sport handle the corners better. However, there is not as much room for a passenger on my F3L. If I put a passenger of modest weight size, I have to pull my driver backrest. There is no comparison to the comfy RT passenger seating geometry.
    So, if a passenger is going to be spending any percentage of the total riding time the RT platform will be critical for total rider comfort. Your Passenger would have to have a fairly trim waist line like my wife. We both to fit nicely on my F3L and have nice seat comfort. My wife misses the arm rest of the RT but says everything else is equal.
    Ride both with a passenger/
    Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both the wife and I love our RT, did a couple of F 3 test rides and we both did not like it. My back hurt at the end. Came from 2 wheels.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Lower center of gravity and rider position. Way more fun in the twisties. Get an F3, F3S or F3T and it will be more spirited also - larger rear sprocket!

Regards,

Don
    True for the F3S and F3T. But on the F3 Limited, they went with the same size sprocket as the RT from 2017 and up years.
    I say give them both a try and see which suits you better. For me, the F3T riding position and handling were the selling points. I did not like the looks on the F3 series as much as the RT, but I like the fact that the F3T does not have a trunk. If needed, you can add one, or take it off the F3 Limited when not being used. I loved the looks of the RT, but did not like the trunk. Good luck with your choice.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Love my 15 RT and on the occasion that we ride two up, I greatly prefer to ride on the back of the RT. Also the added storage space allows me to stash away groceries, or gear and tools on our trips. The wife loves her 16 F3T and has it set up for her ergonomics, and the larger rear sprocket gives it extra punch in passing or merging on ramps. She gets the same gas mileage as I, since I push more wind on trips on the RT. Both wonderful touring machines.

The lower center of gravity of the F3 can allow a more spirited ride in the twisties, but we have no trouble keeping up either way...enjoy the ryde, the choice is yours!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

We have 1 of each. Completely different rides. Only thing I dislike on the F3T is that a helmet won't fit in any of the compartments like they will on the RT. I am hoping they get the audio/BRP Connect issues sorted out but you will have the same issues there on any of the new dash bikes...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    We have 1 of each. Completely different rides. Only thing I dislike on the F3L is that a helmet won't fit in any of the compartments like they will on the RT. I am hoping they get the audio/BRP Connect issues sorted out but you will have the same issues there on any of the new dash bikes...
    I can fit two helmets in the back of my F3L

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Sorry... F3t (wife's ride)... no topcase...

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I can fit two helmets in the back of my F3L

Cruzr Joe
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Only thing I dislike on the F3T is that a helmet won't fit in any of the compartments like they will on the RT.
    I have a XXXL modular. It fits in the 2017 F3T Frunk. I do have to pop off the Sena 20S though to get it to fit.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I rode both, and ended up with the RT LTD (gray with black accents).

Its always a hard choice when there's no wrong answer.

Hoping to get a Ryker for quick trips around the neighborhood and such.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flattracker60 View Post
    I rode both, and ended up with the RT LTD (gray with black accents).

Its always a hard choice when there's no wrong answer.

Hoping to get a Ryker for quick trips around the neighborhood and such.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Looks like a good choice for YOU. And your right...there is no wrong choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I like the looks of the f3 but the wife likes the passenger seat of the RTL .So can you guess which bike we bought .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to ride both with your passenger, my wife was totally opposed to the F3 seat.

Spyder Garage

My wife like the back seat and secure feeling of the RT. I've got spring stiffeners and a proper anti-sway bar----- I have to have my feet under me as I've been known to " hang off" in spirited twisties. A stiffer anti-sway bar would be nice.
    The many passes of the Sierra Nevada are in my front yard so I do get a bit of practice.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

On the F-3Ltd, if you get the Seat Extender from Spyderpops, The drivers seat remains the same but the passenger seat increases by 4 - 5 inches and makes the passenger seat more comfortable for the passenger than a RT seat.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer