Spyder Garage

Default Test rode my first RT

Rode my first Spyder RT on Saturday. The last time I rode a Spyder was on '09 when the local shop was having test rides on the original Spyder.

Now I've been on two wheels since I was young, but had a long break from riding while Active Duty, then started back riding again in 2000. My wife is partially disabled, but wants to ride, but she's not comfortable getting on/off bikes so she'd rather have a trike.

The RT is a 2011 model. They'd done a service on it and put new tires on. I know, I'm not looking at anything earlier than a 2014 model, but they didn't have anything newer for me to test at the moment. My ride was cut a little short by lack of fuel - they didn't have much in there when I started, and about halfway through the ride the fuel light came on. After the ride, the salesman gave me his card and offered me the last 2018 they have for s test ride. because it was on the sales floor, he said he'd need a little advance notice to get it outside and ready.

I can't say that I loved it. I'm disappointed as I really wanted to like it. I am aware that it's a used machine, and there's no telling what the PO did to it.

First things first - I'm now positive that the 990 is not for me. The thing HATED to be below 4k, and preferred 5K+. I Just don't care for high revving engines like that. It didn't have a hard lunge off the line, but got up to speed well enough. I'd also prefer more low to mid range torque for two up riding. The bike also didn't shift to neutral at a stop. As long as I had the brake on it was no big deal, but I'm not sure it's good for the bike.

The steering was way more sensitive than I expected. In the first mile or two, I almost considered taking it back and looking elsewhere. I had a hard time keeping it in the middle of the lane. It may have needed and alignment as it seemed to wander on the highway.

The ride wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped either, but for all I know all the shocks are badly worn or leaking. Or set for someone heavier than me? Who knows. I am concerned about the side to side movement of it though. You don't get that on a bike, but I suspect you'll get that on a 'Wing trike as well. Many Wing trikes have a solid axle in the back which I would think would make the issue worse, but I don't know for sure.

The digital dash was a bit hard to read, but I've run into that before because the sunglasses I had are polarized. But, I did notice that the fuel light and turn indicators were hard to see from my level.

All in all, I'm now on the fence about Spyders. I love the way they look, and the riding position seems comfortable - but I'll need highway pegs for sure. For those that came off years of two wheels, how much of a learning curve is there? Even used, this will be a big investment, and I don't want to be one of those people that buys it, puts 500 miles on it, then sells it.

Looking back on it, I have no idea how far I rode as I spent most of my time just trying to ride it. I didn't play with the gadgets or stereo, but did get the cruise to work. If I had to guess, I'd say about 15-20 miles.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Before you just give up on the Spyders, ride a F-3 and a RT with the 1330 six speed engine, whole different ride, also a spyder does not want you to control the handlebars, a relaxed grip is better, just guide the steering don't try to control it with a hard grip. With an F-3 you may not need highway pegs because of the different seating and leg position.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is possible that the trike could have been out of alignment, and the shocks could have been worn. But I found that it takes a good 300-500 miles to get used to the thing. When I first bought my 2014 RT, I thought that I had made an expensive mistake. But after a few days, I was hooked. Things begin to settle down, and I learned not to hold on too tight. As for the high revving engine, I agree, the 2 cylinder does rev a bit high for touring, and I prefer the 1330 in the 2014 and up RT or F3 series for that reason. But I do miss my 2012 RSS for sporting around sometimes. The seating position of the RT is nice, but I prefer to stretch my legs, and that is why I traded for a F3T. Maybe give a used F3T or F3 Limited a test ride. That might be more down your line. It will allow you to stretch out you legs, keep the RPM's down, and still have comfortable seating for your wife. I did not suggest the F3, because if you are riding a passenger, the shock would need to be upgraded, and I feel like you might be better off with the 2 that I suggested. Don't give up yet, go give them another try. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Nearly every 2-wheeled person that tries a Spyder doesn't like it very much. I was one of those. After several test rides I finally was okay, but still didn't love it; bought one anyway. After a month I loved it and now 4 years later I can't imagine anything else. I think you will find the same. I do suggest you look at a 1330 engine model.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I had the same experience but bought a 15 rtl anyway. 15k miles and lots of upgrades . Never got used to the handling and my bride wasn't comfortable. The Spyder is a fine machine but isn't the magic bullet for all. I went back to a wing.

Spyder Garage

Default Good review....

There have been many similar to yours. It will all come back to the test ryde of the different models and both you and the wife should be there as the passenger ryde varies as well. Drivers have more adjustment available than the pasenger. As you know unlfortunately the twin is no longer in their line up so it would be best for you to look for the 2014 or newer and that will fit your style much better. Good luck and testing will be fun either way.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Don't give up on a Spyder just yet Sir

I test rode a 2008 model back in 2009 -- thought it was "interesting" and liked how they looked.
    However, I was still on 2 wheels and had no thoughts of changing over.
    Year 2015 arrives, I've been on 2 wheels for over 20 years (then riding an FJR1300) and arthritic joints is not making it as fun. Wife and I rented a 2015 RT-L for a day to give it a whirl. I'd been reading Spyder forums for a while so I knew what to expect as far as handling, etc.

Took me approx. a half hour to get comfortable with the bike, the rest of the day was a blast :-)
    Purchased a new 2015 RT-L the next day, and 20k miles (with a few comfort farkles later) we're still having a blast.
    Good luck with your decision.

Spyder Garage

I too took a short test ride on a 2018 RTL and was darting in the lane on the highway. Sat on an 2017 F3L and was instantly more comfortable.I then took a longer test ride on the F3L and was able to hold onto the bars and let it basically steer it self with only minor inputs from me. I ended up purchasing the F3L and took a bout 200 - 300 miles to feel more comfortable and get used to the driving. 4000 miles later this thing is a blast to ride. After about 50 years off and on with 2 wheelers, I am very happy with the Spyder. Take an F3L for a longer ride and you will love the 1330 engine. Good luck with your purchase.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

At least 100 miles or more for test ride and 1000 miles to feel comfortable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought my first Spyder in 2011 (RT). Rode it home, 30 miles and called the dealer to return it.
    She said, ride it a week and if you don't like it, we will talk about it. I decided to ride it one way or the other and I rode it another 200 miles and said it was not too bad. I rode it another 300 and decided to keep it. After 1,000 miles I loved it. Earlier I checked the tire pressure, which is important for good handling and it handled much better. I have had two 3 cyl RTs and the 3 is much superior to the 2 cyl.

If you can, ride it more miles after checking the tire pressure. Try 18 in front and 30 in the rear and adjust to your liking. 18/30 is what I run but if you ask ten Spyder owners, you will get eleven opinions. Good luck.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your impressions on the 2011 RT test ride. Of the five I have owned, four were of the 990/998 variety. I still have a 2011 and a 2014.

You are right on about the high revs. The 11 likes that plus 5,000 all the time. The 14 (1330) likes 3,500 and is better in many ways. Quieter, more fuel efficient (10 mpg more), and less maintenance required.

You do need to ride a 1330 and am guessing you will notice the difference. Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    The bike also didn't shift to neutral at a stop. As long as I had the brake on it was no big deal, but I'm not sure it's good for the bike.
    All Spyder SE models stop with the transmission in 1st gear. Designed and built to do that so don't worry about it not being good for the bike.

The steering was way more sensitive than I expected. In the first mile or two, I almost considered taking it back and looking elsewhere. I had a hard time keeping it in the middle of the lane. It may have needed and alignment as it seemed to wander on the highway.
    In my mind there is no "may have" about it. It definitely needs a laser alignment. The Spyder is sensitive to steering inputs and road conditions but if you keep a light grip on it you'll find it quite easy to handle. It does like to stay in a straight line.

All in all, I'm now on the fence about Spyders. I love the way they look, and the riding position seems comfortable - but I'll need highway pegs for sure. For those that came off years of two wheels, how much of a learning curve is there?
    Time and miles to get used to a Spyder varies widely with the general experience being: If you have ridden ATVs or snowmobiles the transition is straightforward. If you have only ridden two wheelers then you have a lot of unlearning and relearning to do.

On this forum there have been very few folks, like fjray, who have given the Spyder a fair chance but it just isn't for them. There have been many who questioned their decision during their first 50 miles but grew to LOVE their Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input, nice to know I'm not alone. I was getting more comfortable with it on the highway, but it still seemed to want to wander a bit. Could have been any number or combination of things.

I can't look at the F3s, even though that would be my preference. The wife sat on both the RT and the F3T, and didn't like the F3 much. I'm not about to spend that kind of $$ for something she won't ride on. A 'wing won't work either unless it's a trike. And for myself, I don't see me riding a 'Wing trike for fun by myself. She's just not comfortable getting on/off 2 wheels.

I haven't given up on the Spyders yet. The dealer offered - with some advance notice - to get the 2018 Rt out for the two of us to try out. I'm leery of doing it, as they want too much for it, so even if we love it, I probably wouldn't buy from them unless they can get the price down.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Loved our first Spyder from the first mile (came from 2 wheels), it only got better.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input, nice to know I'm not alone. I was getting more comfortable with it on the highway, but it still seemed to want to wander a bit. Could have been any number or combination of things.

I can't look at the F3s, even though that would be my preference. The wife sat on both the RT and the F3T, and didn't like the F3 much. I'm not about to spend that kind of $$ for something she won't ride on. A 'wing won't work either unless it's a trike. And for myself, I don't see me riding a 'Wing trike for fun by myself. She's just not comfortable getting on/off 2 wheels.

I haven't given up on the Spyders yet. The dealer offered - with some advance notice - to get the 2018 Rt out for the two of us to try out. I'm leery of doing it, as they want too much for it, so even if we love it, I probably wouldn't buy from them unless they can get the price down.
    My wife rides a 2018 RT Limited and I am still on 2 wheels. We test rode the F3 and the RT. My wife has over 150K miles on a 2 wheeler in the past 8 years. It took her about 1,000 miles to get used to the Spyder but now she loves it. I take it out on occasion and really enjoy riding it myself. If you have ATV or snowmobile experience the learning curve is shorter.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

You got some good insight here in other comments. Y-trikes handle more like an ATV or snow mobile than a motorcycle. I like to think of suggesting course corrections instead of controlling them on the handle bars for everything but a sharp turn. Cornering, squeeze your knees in a bit (like riding a horse), push on the OUTSIDE peg/floor board, and do NOT push the inside grip like on a bike (counter-steering). Keep the grip pressure (hands) as light as you can while maintaining control. This is harder than most people think when you are riding a machine down the road you aren't comfortable with...yet. If you do this any other way, a Spyder (or any 4-wheeler ATV) will feel "jumpy" or "squirrely" at cruising speeds and during rapid acceleration. Like everyone else said, it just takes some miles of experience to adjust. Mileage tends to vary based on ATVsnow mobile experience vs street bike experience.

As for the test drive of the 2018 -- take them up on it! The dealer knows you may or may not buy it. It's their job to EARN your business. If they don't get you on it, they have ZERO chance. You should actually test ride as many variants as you can before you purchase. Finds what works best for y'all. Then go find the best DEAL for that. Even if you end up purchasing used or across state lines, it is the dealer's job to induce you to purchase from them instead of "the other guys." With that said, I wouldn't go "out of town" to save $500 on a $20k purchase. These things are complicated machines that require some expert maintenance now and then. I'd give a local dealership an extra 5-10% on the sales price to strengthen that relationship and have the convenience of local vs long distance. But I wouldn't spend an extra $3k on a Spyder to make that happen. I bought mine out of state and 2nd hand from a friend w/an extended warranty. I've had great service from 2 different dealerships in 2 different states where I didn't buy it...including warranty items.

Spyder Garage

Take the dealer up on the offer to test ride the RT. You don't have to buy it, but it'll let you feel how it rides and how the engine responds. Just be non-commital after the ride, "need to ponder this some more." If the newer RT feels better, you can shop around for a used one.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL is 5 weeks old. My first 3-wheeler. Prior to that my most recent riding had been on a Honda V-Twin 700cc 580-lb sport tourer I had 85K miles on in 5 years (before a non-fault accident ended that 3 years ago). The first week I owned my Spyder I experienced EVERYTHING you are saying about it as a new owner. I now have over 1500 miles riding on it already and it's a keeper.

You will probably need to change the stock sway bar to a stiffer one (some riders will say it's not necessary, but...). And get the laser alignment. I did both less than a week ago, and just came back from a round trip 800 mile ride. It was a whole different ballgame. My Spyder quit "wandering" in the lanes on the Interstate. I was riding it most of the time with the cruise control set at 70 - 75 MPH using one hand on the handlebars and it was like the Spyder was on rails even in curves/corners (where I still used 2 hands just because). To me, the stiffer sway bar and a laser alignment made all the difference eliminating the "wandering" handling of it. Before doing that, it was like "work" steering it compared to my 2-wheel riding. Now it's just plain fun riding it.

What price is your dealer telling you for the 2018 RT? A brand new 2018 RT should be cheaper than a Wing 2-wheeler today. Can-Am is giving dealers a $5500 rebate on them so dealers can sell them at a competitive price compared to the new reduced price 2019 RT's. A new 2018 RT should be (roughly) in the $22K - $24K depending on the dealer location and individual dealers. Anything more and the dealer isn't giving the $5500 rebate to you but keeping it themselves. Find a different dealer. There was another person on the forum here saying their dealer was trying to sell them a new 2018 RT for over $31K asking price. That would have been way over the original 2018 MSRP BEFORE the rebate. Do your homework (unless $22K - $24K is still more than you are looking to spend).
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    You got some good insight here in other comments. Y-trikes handle more like an ATV or snow mobile than a motorcycle. I like to think of suggesting course corrections instead of controlling them on the handle bars for everything but a sharp turn. Cornering, squeeze your knees in a bit (like riding a horse), push on the OUTSIDE peg/floor board, and do NOT push the inside grip like on a bike (counter-steering). Keep the grip pressure (hands) as light as you can while maintaining control. This is harder than most people think when you are riding a machine down the road you aren't comfortable with...yet. If you do this any other way, a Spyder (or any 4-wheeler ATV) will feel "jumpy" or "squirrely" at cruising speeds and during rapid acceleration. Like everyone else said, it just takes some miles of experience to adjust. Mileage tends to vary based on ATVsnow mobile experience vs street bike experience.

As for the test drive of the 2018 -- take them up on it! The dealer knows you may or may not buy it. It's their job to EARN your business. If they don't get you on it, they have ZERO chance. You should actually test ride as many variants as you can before you purchase. Finds what works best for y'all. Then go find the best DEAL for that. Even if you end up purchasing used or across state lines, it is the dealer's job to induce you to purchase from them instead of "the other guys." With that said, I wouldn't go "out of town" to save $500 on a $20k purchase. These things are complicated machines that require some expert maintenance now and then. I'd give a local dealership an extra 5-10% on the sales price to strengthen that relationship and have the convenience of local vs long distance. But I wouldn't spend an extra $3k on a Spyder to make that happen. I bought mine out of state and 2nd hand from a friend w/an extended warranty. I've had great service from 2 different dealerships in 2 different states where I didn't buy it...including warranty items.
    I wanted to buy local. There are two dealers in NE TN. One had a good supply of RT Limiteds as well as F3s and Rykers. But they werent' willing to deal. They wanted 26K for the Spyder. The other dealer only had three Spyders, one was a four-year-old used one, the other an RT (not Limited) and a Ryker. I wound up buying from iMotorpsorts and saved $3,000 and that's too much to sacrifice to buy local. Now I wait to finalize the paperwork and then impatiently wait for delivery.

Spyder Garage

Don't blame you one bit. "Relationship" is a two-way street, and it is THEIR business to earn it.

Spyder Garage

BRP has discounts on 2018 spyders check them out .4000 Canadian is like what 100000 US ha ha.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

The local dealer has one 2018 left - it's a white/chrome RTL. Personally I wanted the dark model, I don't care for chrome. And they're asking just under $25k for it. There a few places within 100 or so miles that'll sell the same RTL for $22k. So I'm not willing to give them the additional $3k if I don't have to. Also, iMoto has 2018 RTLs for $23k delivered, and "regular" RTs for $19k. According to iMoto, the rebates are already factored into their prices.

I doubt the wife will ever drive the Spyder, she just wants to ride on the back which is ok by me. I'd love it if she rode her own, but I don't see that happening. I'd prefer the F3, but she needs the backs support of the RT, so there it is. Maybe some day I can afford both, but not at first. Also, I have to take into account the communications - we'll need in helmet units to go with whatever we buy.

I expect a certain amount of learning curve which is why I posted my take on my test ride - I was hoping it wasn't just me. As for ATV/Snowmobiles experience - I've never ridden a snowmobile; the few times I lived where it might be useful, I didn't have the fund for it. ATVs, that's a different store. I rode ATCs in the early 80s. Malign them if you will, but I preferred the three wheelers over the quads. I had the Kawasaki Tecate, one of the biggest ATCs you could get at the time, and wish I still had it. So I've felt the difference between 2-3 wheels, but it's been a while.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

There is a learning curve when you first try the Spyder. Most have it covered after about 500 miles or so.

The big secret is do not over control. Pretend there are eggs between the hands and the bars, don't break the eggs. A slight push/pull on the bars will take you flawlessly through the turns and twisties (if your are near the posted mph range).

And I guarantee that the lady will be driving it as her own soon. Ask me how I know that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-25-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I actually bought our first spyder, a 2010 RT SM5 in the middle of winter, without even taking a test ride. We went into it knowing that there would be a learning curve and adaptation period, so, when it warmed up enough, we just did it. Now, we wouldn't go back to two wheels. There is a period of adjustments and habit changing you gotta get through, but it's worth the couple hundred miles of awkwardness.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The wife is pretty excited about it. We were supposed to go for a test ride on an '18, but Sh wasn't feeling well enough on Saturday.

I'm also wondering at this point if it's worth the extra $$ to get the LTD or just the regular RT. I'd "like" to have the fog lights, but I'm guessing those can be added later. So other than the auto-levelling, is it worth it?
    2014 RT-S , Orange