Spyder Garage

Default What are these connections for

I have a 2018 RT . In the Frunk
    On the driver side of the vehicle coming out of it looks like a 12 V connector case with three wires one looks like it is a battery tender connector and the other two I’m not sure what they are I’m not sure how to import pictures here so I can’t do that either but can someone tell me what these are ?

Spyder Garage

Thopper, The Thread Posting Pictures from your hard drive on the Forum Support and Testing should help you with posting a pic here.

As to your mystery wires ... Are they mentioned in your manual? Maybe the dealer/previous owner added something and forgot to tell you? Did you get the bike used or new?
    The wire with the SAE connector likely is a battery tender connection.
    Like this $_35.JPG
    As to other mystery wires what ends do they have? Is one of them a USB connection? That's to add a phone or Aux music. But all of this should be in the Owners manual if those are the stock wiring.
    Ah found it in your owners manual on page 49. An audio in jack and USB connection.
    Using the Audio in Jack
    An audio input jack is provided in the front storage compartment.

An audio player such as a CD player, iPod mobile digital device or an MP3 player can be connected in this jack to be played through the audio system.
    The iPod mobile digital device can be partially controlled through the RECC.
    The front USB port must be used to run the BRP Connect app. Refer to GAUGE section for complete information.
    NOTE: An adapter (optional on some models) is required to connect the audio player to the vehicle audio jack.
    The USB port located inside the top case (on applicable models) is only used to charge a smartphone. No data is transferred through the rear USB port.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 04-21-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added pic of Battery tender connector
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Purchased new. I did read about the USB phone a aux plu. Nothing about the battery tender connection or the other two connectors coming from the same hole as the tender connector. Maybe 12 volt (but they would be shorting)since they are flopping around I am still trying to insert a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Ah got the pic to insert....are the two white connectors pos/neg for 12 volts?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    Ah got the pic to insert....are the two white connectors pos/neg for 12 volts?
    Yes, the optional 12 volt power socket, like a cigarette lighter. The rubber boot slips over the end of the power outlet to keep water off of the connectors. If you're handy, and want the power outlet, you can put one in. Take the battery out first so you can reach behind the frunk. The outlet goes through from the front and then you have to get the locking ring and connectors on working blind from the backside. Have a good supply of swear words in store before you start. You'll need them!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the confirmation. My hopes are to put a 12 volt plug on the dash...Guess I have to dig in and see what is involved.

Spyder Garage

I used those 2 white connectors to energize a solenoid to run a 6 position power distribution block. The power to the outlets I put on comes from the battery, so it bypasses the CAN bus system and doesn't confuse the nanny. Here is a link on how I set it up: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ribution-block

Our RTL didn't come with a SAE 2 prong connection as shown in your photo. I added one when I did the power distribution block. Battery charger connectors like that are usually fused and almost always connected direct to the battery, so they are always hot. There are also adapters so you can plug in other type of outlets like like USB, coax or lighter to name a few:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    I used those 2 white connectors to energize a solenoid to run a 6 position power distribution block.
    The only downside to using them for the solenoid is if you switch the fuse from F6 to F7 in the RH fuse box so that the power outlet in the trunk is powered all the time, your solenoid will also be powered all the time.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The only downside to using them for the solenoid is if you switch the fuse from F6 to F7 in the RH fuse box so that the power outlet in the trunk is powered all the time, your solenoid will also be powered all the time.
    Oops.First reply incorrect. Yes the accessory fuse is still switchable on 2018 models.

2018 F3 LIMITED