Spyder Garage

Default Wheel alignment etc

I have read so many threads about Spyders darting from side to side because of holding on too tight etc - as I am a bike rider for almost 50 years etc I thought it was down to this that mine was bad on anything but smooth roads. But this morning I decided enough was enough so checked the Spyder. First thing I did was look at the rear wheel alignment to the centre line of the frame so placed straight edge on the rear tyre side walls towards the front of the bike and measured in the same place the distance to the straight edge - left side of wheel - 110mm and ride side of wheel 135mm. So rear wheel was not true to frame........ However if I adjusted it correctly the belt moves over almost off the rear spocket - so adjusted so that the belt runs about 2mm gap to sprocket. Now checked the front toe in and both were at zero - able to measure each one idividually. Set it as article to 0.5mm on both - so total 1mm toe in. Took it out and much better. Now not fighting it all the time. Took my 9 year old to local town and was so relaxed talking with him that was speeding all the way without noticing

Spyder Garage

Default Really helps....

The alignment really helps and after the Laser alignment started being used it was found that many spyders were even out of alignment from the dealer. The old method was to align to the frame but now it is to align to the rear wheel. Once the rear wheel and belt adjusted correctly the front wheels are aligned . You have seen the effect and your ryde has become much more enjoyable..congrats...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Just a update - Today had to ride to local city and before I would have taken side roads as was nervous of the Spyder on the freeway but thought I would try it after the adjustments and what a --king difference. Now riding along at 130kph over taking things one handed etc. So happy

Spyder Garage

Please let us have a little more detail on you front wheel alignment method.
    Thanks
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Please let us have a little more detail on you front wheel alignment method.
    Thanks
    My method is in first post - cannot really add anything to that (sorry). Think main thing was the difference in toe in from zero to 1 deg toe in

Spyder Garage

So you used a straight edge that was attached to the front wheel and measured to the frame? How long was the straight edge? What was the distance between the points measured to allow you to setup a delta of .5mm. Based on your last post the distance to have .5 degree angle would be 57.2943250647mm. Or some multiple of .5 mm and 57.2943250647mm. As it is difficult, if not impossible, to accurately measure 57.2943250647mm it must have been a multiple thereof and a large multiple thereof to get any any accuracy in the angle measurement.

I guess I will go back to exploring the laser method of doing the front wheel alignment.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

Eckhard
    First I used a straight edge to see if the rear wheel was square to the frame but it was not - but if I squared it to the frame the belt drive would almost come off the rear cog - so had to adjust the rear wheel to allow for the belt to run about 2mm from the inside raised part. The front wheels where set using a toe in / out tool - similar to photo attached but mine does each wheel seperate. s-l1600.jpg.

Spyder Garage

That was enlightening. Thank you.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

Only being a Spyder owner for less than 3 months I have a question. My ride is preowned 2014 Spyder RT Limited. With 21000 miles and well maintained. The Kenda tires on the front are cupped and sing on the road. My question is who performs a laser alignment? Is it a Dealer service or a tire garage service?

Spyder Garage

This wheel alignment issue is an absolute joke and a fixable one that BRP don't seem to give a stuff about.
    How long does it take to remedy a known problem that is a safety issue as well as a an obvious flaw for test riders with any any feel for what is going on.
    Dealers pass the buck and refuse to take responsibility BRP the same, not a good look for all involved.Customer feels let down early in the relationship and passes his thoughts on down the line.
    It's just dumb

Spyder Garage

A cautionary tale on who you take it to. Just because a dealer has the tools, don't trust them to know how to use them. In areas that aren't swamped with Spyders, they may only do one or two alignments a year. I asked my servicing dealer about laser alignment, they said they did them. I asked more about it, he didn't ask my weight, riding style, whether I ride 2 up, or any of the other questions I've heard are pertinent to setting the toe correctly, to match you and your bike. Choose someone who does a lot of alignments, you'll probable end up with a better job. I'm going to ride 400 miles to get mine set.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Roadster Renovations Vibration Damper*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Well this is what did just to satisfy my curiosity about the alignment thing.
    I got 2 pieces of carbon fiber square tube about 24” long.
    I rotated my tires so I had clear sections of the sidewall at the bottom, that is to say no raised lettering and numbers just smooth sidewall.
    I placed the rod on 2x4 blocks off the floor and held them snug against the sidewall on both sides.
    I then measured behind the wheel outside to outside of the rods. 61 5/16”
    I then measured in front of the wheel outside to outside of the rods. 61 2/16”. Yes I know 61 1/4”
    A difference of 3/16”. Tow in .?

I’m thinking this is good and don’t fix it if it anit broken! Thoughts.? Bill

38ECE06F-4368-4753-A0C7-6287CA67DB9B.jpg
    91B95DCE-DFA7-4A2A-85AC-59E9BFCFA594.jpg
    8C4D05AB-7157-4448-A602-BC63F3F9B36D.jpg
    C98BEFFD-C542-497B-B489-F04A5C58E8E4.jpg

Spyder Garage

I then measured in front of the wheel outside to outside of the rods. 61 2/16”. Yes I know 61 1/4”
    61 1/8" BTW Seems like a typo as your calculation is correct.

The numbers say toe-in. But it is .448 degrees. .22 degrees per side. Seems a bit high. Let's see what the other say.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011