Spyder Garage

Default Temperature read out error

Is there any way to correct the temperature readout setting? Mine indicates about 5-7 degrees higher than actual temperatures. I guess I could just look at it and subtract 5 degrees but it would be nice if it told me the truth..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have a 14 RT …. and it isn't accurate either ….. the sensor isn't in a great location for accuracy ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

That sensor isn't necessarily telling you what the ambient temp is, like a weather report might - due to the sensor location, it's more aimed at telling you what the 'under-tupperware' temp is, ie, the temp of the air being delivered to the engine.... When that hits 100° or higher if you've just made a short stop or been idling along in slow moving traffic, don't be surprised if you see a 'high temp warning' or even a 'limp home mode' due to the over-heating; but it'll often go away once the fans start up or you begin to get a bit of air-flow thru the tupperware!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

BRP has made Zero improvements on their sensors over the years. My 2018 has readings between 5 and 10 degrees above the actual temp. every ride. And let's not talk about the horrible readings when stopped for any amount of time. Why bother putting a gauge on the Spyder if it's going to give you inaccurate readings. These vehicles aren't cheap, but some of their designs sure are.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Where is it located on a RT?

Never mind I found it.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

What really pissed me off is on a $30,000 vehicle they can not put a clock that stays accurate. Please a $8.00 watch at Wal-Mart keeps accurate time.

Spyder Garage

Default See post #3

Pete explains it for you. The location is usually low and close to the air intake picking up the heat off the asphalt as well. The clock is a whole different story. As for the true temp you have it on your phone or get a stick on and your good. You have engine temp which is the one you should worry about the other does give you a reference give or take those 5-10 degrees...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Pretty certain you will find the engine has an ambient temp and pressure sensor. That is the reference for the engine intake air. Not sure if the computer compares both, but the engine sure runs better when the temps are OAT are lower.

Spyder Garage

My 14 is about two degrees generous. I live with it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Is there any way to correct the temperature readout setting? Mine indicates about 5-7 degrees higher than actual temperatures. I guess I could just look at it and subtract 5 degrees but it would be nice if it told me the truth..... Jim
    Jim - As you have correctly noticed, the display temp is right at 6-7 degrees high to the outside ambient temperature. The good news is it is quite accurate as we also see the 7 degree higher temps on our 15 RT and 16 F3T, so apparently the location and accuracy of the gauges carries from one Spyder to another... just have to subtract the 7 degrees to get the outside air temp (while moving down the road of course)
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's a combination temperature and ambient air pressure sensor located at the top side of the right air tunnel in the front module. I cut a bigger hole in top of the tunnel for mine. That helped quite a bit. As it is air skims past the bottom part of the sensor and not over it. By cutting the hole bigger I got more air to circulate around the sensor. You don't want to do anything that will cause air to move too hard against the sensor because then it'll read ambient pressure higher than actual. (Maybe that's why my gas mileage seems to worse than everyone else!) It takes about 5 miles or so of driving before the temp sensor reads real air temp. And has been said, it is sensitive to being heated by sun shining on the frunk. Hot air from around the engine may move over it also when you are stopped.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)