Spyder Garage

Default How many are too many wieghts on a NEW rear tire

A local Spyder dealer talked in into another Kenda rear tire on my 2015 RT......My Spyder drove fine before this tire was replaced.....some say the replacement tire is bad...too many weights...is 16 weights too much and the tire is bad?

Comments please!!!

What would you do???20190420_113634.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    A local Spyder dealer talked in into another Kenda rear tire on my 2015 RT......My Spyder drove fine before this tire was replaced.....some say the replacement tire is bad...too many weights...is 16 weights too much and the tire is bad?

Comments please!!!

What would you do???20190420_113634.jpg
    We talked on the phone last night and I said that was a crazy amount of weight ….. I suggested you post here, …. there are some pretty smart folks here I'm sure you'll get a bunch of responses ….. and I'm sure that tire is defective...……… Mike

Spyder Garage

If they did the balancing job properly, then even with 30 weights on it, your Spyder should feel smooth as duck sh..... feathers. But having to put that many weights on it/much more than an ounce or so suggests the tire wasn't manufactured too well in the first place. It's even more indicative if there is a bunch of weights in one spot or one one side of the rim, and another couple of weights (or more) in another spot or even diametrically opposite the first lot on the other face of the rim!! And if you have any concerns with the ride despite the dealer trying to balance the tire that hard, it's highly likely that you've got a dud tire there!

While they are sloooooowly getting better at producing reasonable tires that are actually round, have a properly aligned tread layer on the carcass, & will wear reasonably well, IMO it's still a pretty random & rare thing to get a 'good' Spyder spec Kenda tire.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look crap don't they,peel them off and use dyna beads but be prepared for the anti dyna activists.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Check to see if they even mounted the tire correctly. If they did not wash off the markings all tires come with a series of dots or colored circles. Some are red,green or yellow but should be at the valve stem. If they are not then you will end up with a bunch of weights to balance though still should be smooth and balanced. Is there a problem or just an obervation as to the amount of weights..?

Normally the yellow dot is the light side of the tire and should be mounted to the stem side or heavy side of the rim..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You got a new tire and its a Kenda (not the best tire) and they (the dealer) balanced the tire and put 16 small weights on the rim. With just that info I would say no problem good to go. If you tell me the bike is not riding correctly or the tire feels out of shape then you have a problem. Wheel weights will not fix a bad tire. my two
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I mount a lot of motorcycle tires and one thing that has changed is that you can no longer get lead weights. Those weights you have are the new steel ones that are common now. While I agree it is more weights than may be needed these weights are also MUCH lighter than what the old style were. I would take the tire off and see what it takes to balance just the wheel. Time consuming and may cost some money, but you will know if it truly takes that many weights or if the tire really is bad. I happen to have 12 of those light weights on the rear of my 2015 RT and I am running an Altimax car tire. In my case it is the wheel that was unbalanced and not the tire.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Nobody has xray vision so no telling if the tire is defective. Keep in mind that lead weights are off the market so it takes a lot more steel weights to do the job. If I feel a tire takes to much weight regardless of markings I break it down and turn it until I get the minimum amount needed. If it handles OK then run it. Remember these opinions are just that.

Spyder Garage

I have NO weights on the Altimax tire on the back of my "14 RTS. The tech. rotated the tire on the rim to get the balance with no added weights. The is smooth/ no vibes. Kenda tires are junk.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

My 2018 has that many from the factory. Given the crap kendas and rims probably made in china. I'm surprised that's all we have.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue