Thread: Horn

Spyder Garage

Default Horn

I am thinking of replacing my stock horn for something that people can actually hear. Any suggestions. I have a 2014 RT Limited

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    I am thinking of replacing my stock horn for something that people can actually hear. Any suggestions. I have a 2014 RT Limited
    Hi Phyl …. remember even Fire Trucks get hit and there is nothing on the road that has more lights , air horns and sirens than them …… My first line of defense has always attention and then avoidance …… It certainly won't hurt, as long as you DON"T relie on to save your B*** ……….See you soon ….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    Whatever loud horn you get don't expect a dramatic increase in perceived loudness. A few years ago I had my 2013 RT with stock horn beside my ATV with a Stebel Nautilus horn. From across the street there was very little difference in loudness between the two horns. Nevertheless, I had two trumpet air horns on my 2013 RT and installed a like set on my 2014 RTS. You can see them the ones I had on my 2013 in the pic below. All three horns, the two trumpets and the stock, work together. They are not a whole lot louder than the stock horn by itself.

Front view.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-21-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: specify horn brand

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My F3L has a single car type trumpet horn that's pretty loud. I plan to add a second trumpet for that more piercing dual tone. Had that on my previous bike and it was an attention getter. Drivers would look for a car, thinking they heard one. Tee Hee.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices

I got the Rolo Bad Boy and was never impressed. Different sound but not much volume. I later put the stock one back on and added the loudest single trumpet horn at the auto parts and together they do a good job...

20180603_111237.jpg they come in high and low I added the low as the stock one is high.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Got mine on Amazon considerably cheaper & got it in 2 days.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wolo-619-Bi...s%2C133&sr=8-3
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Good Morning Phillis,
    And Happy Easter-----

Which ever horn you get use a relay to switch it. I've had both a wolo and a Striebel. At the same time on two motorcycles ( both with relays and good batteries ) The Striebel is louder . Verified by my wife. Really.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have the Fiamm Freeway Blaster (high and low tone) horn on my bike. The two horns work together to sound very similar to the horn of an 18 wheeler. 132 db of attention-getting sound. You can purchase the horns from Aerostitch for $18.00 each. A relay is available for a couple of bucks. Highly recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hers - 2014 Can-Am RTL Platinum Satin and matching RT-622 Trailer
    His - 2014 BMW F800GS - Kalamata Matte

Spyder Garage

These Fiamm am80S horns were on my Yamaha FJR. They do get attention when needed. Bracket and relay are included.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Fiamm+Ele...ref=nb_sb_noss

Have a set for my RT which will get installed this week along with a BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions. Read a few reviews. Difficult to make a decision due to ratings. This summer I am going to ask everyone if I can hear their horn. So, if you see me, blow your horn.

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of 115 db PIAA horns I'll install with a sway bar. I had 110 db car horns on my previous bike, a Victory Cross Roads and those were loud.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Plus one for the Stebel Nautilus.

One farkel that really did get me more space was a set of Hyperlites (flashing brake light setup). I bent a piece of sheet metal for a bracket to mount them adjacent to my license plate. When I stop, most people leave a full car length - or more - behind me. If I release the brake, no more Hyperlites, and the cars edge up to by rear wheel. Not very scientific but it's pretty consistent.

Spyder Garage

I had Hyper-Lites on my last bike - they were wired as running and brake lights that flashed 5 times when the brakes were applied and then on steady.
    I installed this little gem in the 3rd brake light in the top case of my F3L. I used Posi-Locks, not those red connectors....
    https://www.banggood.com/20W-LED-Bra...r_warehouse=CN
    Its very tiny, so it fits in the space very nicely. Apply the brakes and it flashes 3X fast, 3X slow, then on steady.