Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT - Where is the Balance point

I have a 14 basic RT, I'm building a trailer - so knowing where the balance point is will save a lot of trial & error, because I can position the axel for best towing ( weight front to rear ) …. Thanks , much ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default good one....

Don't know about the RT but the RS it is pretty much under the driver pegs.....

20150630_123305.jpg move it forward and the rear wheel drops move it back and it will nosedive....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ditto for my 2013 RT. Even with a single lifting point jack (std trolley jack) the lifting point that doesn't see it teetering one way or another is pretty much in line with the front of the peg bracket..... but I usually have about 5-10# of gear in the frunk, and of course, mine is a V-twin, so it's probably got a touch more of its weight forward than one of the triples.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,
    If you're building a trailer: it's the trailer's balance point that matters.
    Of course; you'd like the balance point of it to be somewhat forward of the actual center point of the trailer (fully loaded: 10% or so: F.O.C)
    It sounds as if you're looking for the Spyder's balance point: I that correct?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't know if this will help, but this is how I have my trailer set up with the RT. I had heard the balance point was where the front peg was. For this setup, I moved the bike back and forth a bit till I got it to about 200 lbs. That is about 10% of the total weight of the rig and it seems to tow very well.

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Silly me...
    Eviltwin's picture explained what you were doing to me... I was under the impression that you were building a trailer to tow WITH your RT.
    Just give yourself enough room to move the bike fore and aft a bit... load it so that you've got about 175 pounds or so of hitch weight, and she'll tow like a dream!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Mike,
    If you're building a trailer: it's the trailer's balance point that matters.
    Of course; you'd like the balance point of it to be somewhat forward of the actual center point of the trailer (fully loaded: 10% or so: F.O.C)
    It sounds as if you're looking for the Spyder's balance point: I that correct?
    Yes, and the Spyders balance point is very close to where the drivers pegs are ….. It doesn't have to 100% exact …. I will weigh the trailer at the coupler after it's loaded to get the proper tongue weight for towing ….Thanks All ….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I don't know if this will help, but this is how I have my trailer set up with the RT. I had heard the balance point was where the front peg was. For this setup, I moved the bike back and forth a bit till I got it to about 200 lbs. That is about 10% of the total weight of the rig and it seems to tow very well.
    Something doesn't compute. Are you saying the trailer weighs around 1000#? That seems awfully high for an aluminum trailer. The Spyder weighs about 850# so the total weight is, of course, the Spyder plus trailer. If you have 200# on the coupler and you're guessing that's 10% that means the whole rig is close to 2000#. I'm thinking you have a lot more than 10% on the coupler, as in more like 15 to 20%. If you have just the Spyder and trailer as pictured I think you want the coupler weight to be closer to 150#. The guideline is 10 to 15% of total weight on the coupler, and 40/60 split of load over the trailer axle.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Something doesn't compute. Are you saying the trailer weighs around 1000#? That seems awfully high for an aluminum trailer. The Spyder weighs about 850# so the total weight is, of course, the Spyder plus trailer. If you have 200# on the coupler and you're guessing that's 10% that means the whole rig is close to 2000#. I'm thinking you have a lot more than 10% on the coupler, as in more like 15 to 20%. If you have just the Spyder and trailer as pictured I think you want the coupler weight to be closer to 150#. The guideline is 10 to 15% of total weight on the coupler, and 40/60 split of load over the trailer axle.
    IMS. I don't know where most of your info came from ……….. In snowmobile form the trl. weighed approx. 350 +/- lbs ….I took 29 1/4 inches ( equally ) from the middle making it only 6 ft wide ( was 8.5 ft ) ….. I lost some weigh but not much 35 +/- lbs. ( I also removed 29 in. of 3/4 in marine plywood - that's freaking heavy stuff ).… I also narrowed the thick 2 1/4 in axel by about 2 inches ….. The wheels will now be inside the main frame … I plan to put raised plywood covers over the trl. tires.... and I lowered the platform 7 inches. My Aluminum Welder person is coming tomorrow..... It's coming together nicely..... over the summer I plan to build a camper on the trl. that will hold the Spyder for long distance trips ….. Thanks … Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Trailer weighs about 6-700 lbs. Bike weighs around 900. Also has the cargo box mounted in the front that has maybe 20-30 lbs of "stuff" including tiedowns and the box itself. So figure around 15-1600 for the total rig weight. 10% would be somewhere between 150-200 lbs tongue wt. I would have it a bit more toward the heavier side then lighter so the whole rig doesnt porpoise.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    Trailer weighs about 6-700 lbs. Bike weighs around 900. Also has the cargo box mounted in the front that has maybe 20-30 lbs of "stuff" including tiedowns and the box itself. So figure around 15-1600 for the total rig weight. 10% would be somewhere between 150-200 lbs tongue wt. I would have it a bit more toward the heavier side then lighter so the whole rig doesnt porpoise.
    That all sounds good! A Google search brings up 9 to 15% as the best tongue weight so your 150 to 200 range fits.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I must be missing something. There have been a couple quotes of weight of the Spyder at 850 and 900lbs, but every online spec sheet I just looked at listed a 2014RT dry weight at 1012. What am I missing?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I must be missing something. There have been a couple quotes of weight of the Spyder at 850 and 900lbs, but every online spec sheet I just looked at listed a 2014RT dry weight at 1012. What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything!!! I was remembering back to my Goldwing days. The 2005 GW dry weight is 792 lbs. Like you say, the RT is 1012 lbs.

2014 Copper RTS