Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Centrifical Clutch

I was out for a ride today, & a beautiful day it was.

I was coming from a Hot-rod show, as I started braking and coming in for a stop light, the bike automatically started down shifting normally down to first gear, the centrifugal clutch was Not freewheeling the bike wanted to keep going like it was in gear.

When this happened, I did not see what the RPM's of the engine were.

I think the centrifugal clutch on the SE-5 starts pulling at 1600-1800 rpms.

Idle is 1300-1400rpm.

It was like it was a Manual shifter in first gear with the clutch out and trying to stop, bike started bucking, then died, I wanted to pull the clutch in but there wasn't one.

Anyone else have this problem?

The engine started right away, And i did not experience this problem for the next hour of riding.

Westgl

Spyder Garage

Some of the early SE GS models had a similar problem. If it persists, seeyour dealer. It is not normal.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Centrifical clutch is going out

Less than 300 miles and the Centrifugal clutch is going out.

My new Spyder RT-SE5 needs repair and it's not even broken-in yet and it's already broken.

How long is this going to take, I am sure my local dealer does not have this part in stock. This may take some time to get the part & get it fixed.

Oh bother! I'll just ride one of my Goldwings, they never break down!!!

Westgl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by westgl View Post
    Less than 300 miles and the Centrifugal clutch is going out.

My new Spyder RT-SE5 needs repair and it's not even broken-in yet and it's already broken.

How long is this going to take, I am sure my local dealer does not have this part in stock. This may take some time to get the part & get it fixed.

Oh bother! I'll just ride one of my Goldwings, they never break down!!!

Westgl
    It only happened once didn't it?

Try putting some more miles on it.....it's probably still breaking in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was out for a ride today, & a beautiful day it was.

I was coming from a Hot-rod show, as I started braking and coming in for a stop light, the bike automatically started down shifting normally down to first gear, the centrifugal clutch was Not freewheeling the bike wanted to keep going like it was in gear.

When this happened, I did not see what the RPM's of the engine were.

I think the centrifugal clutch on the SE-5 starts pulling at 1600-1800 rpms.

Idle is 1300-1400rpm.

It was like it was a Manual shifter in first gear with the clutch out and trying to stop, bike started bucking, then died, I wanted to pull the clutch in but there wasn't one.

Anyone else have this problem?

The engine started right away, And i did not experience this problem for the next hour of riding.

Westgl
    no but i am having problem shifting from 1 into 2 when my spyder is cold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder rt

have trouble shifting from 1 to 2 when spyder is cold .but only have 200 mile. on it.i hope it stop . when go for 600miles oil change. i will have it look at,this is my second semi automatic.no problem with the 09 shifting.

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Creeping

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    It only happened once didn't it?

Try putting some more miles on it.....it's probably still breaking in.
    It seems to be a recurring issue with many SE5's.

Mine (a 2009 model) did just the same quite a few times, especially when hot, and while riding in stop-n-go traffic.

Now, with over 5K miles on it, it rarely (if ever) does it, and I do not feel that the clutch has been somehow damaged during break-in.

When yours starts creeping in 1st. gear while stopped, just press firmly on the brake and blip the throttle. That will disengage the clutch.

It should fade away with time, and after a couple of oil changes.

Just to be on the safe side, talk with your dealer.

Saludos, Pilo
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Creeping

When My Spyder does creeping it is when it has been ran for a while, it doesn't do it when it is cold.

Last time it started creeping(yesterday) I put the brake on hard to hold the bike and the engine died.

That happened a few times on the way home.

Almost every time I came to a stop it would pull and not freewheel (Centrifical clutch) Sometimes it pulls harder than others.

It seems to be getting worse, pulling harder going fast at a stop.

I am not going to ride it until it is fixed.

Guess i'll just have to ride one of the Goldwings

Westgl
    Last edited by westgl; 02-23-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: cause

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Creeping

My SE5 had/has a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, I mentioned that to my dealer.

They looked at it and said they don't see a problem. It's not throwing an error code so it must be ok.

It doesn't do it if I shift under power. I mean it shifts normally.

If I try to shift it by closing the throttle, shift then open the throttle, it doesn't like that at all.

Well into the shop it goes.

Westgl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Same Orbital Blue RTS with SE5 - same issue after only about 50 miles. Only happen once after coming off the highway and a complete stop. Engine started racing then it sounded like someone threw a marble into the gears as it down shifted. Never happened after that? In the shop now for 600 mile checkup. Let you know what they find out.

Spyder Garage

My SE5 had/has a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, I mentioned that to my dealer.

They looked at it and said they don't see a problem. It's not throwing an error code so it must be ok.

If I try to shift it by closing the throttle, shift then open the throttle, it doesn't like that at all.

Westgl
    The SE5 is meant to be shifted under power. It "blips" the throttle for you. This is an operator thing you are going to have to get used to. Don't close the throttle.

As to the sticking centrifugal clutch and the stalling...that is a problem. Unfortunately, it appears your dealer is, too. Not every malfunction throws a code, especially mechanical woes. These idiot techs that think the computer tells all need to be educated...or start flipping burgers instead. If your dealer will not address the issue, find another dealer...or contact Carlo at customer support.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Westgl
    I'd try giving it an oil change before ripping it all apart! Make sure they change the transmission filter also.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Centrifical Clutch

Well I started the Spyder today, and it was a good thing that the elec. Parking brake was on. The Spyder jumped forward and was held by the P. Brake other wise I would have to replace my garage door.

Well started my ride to the dealer. It was pulling/creeping at every stop some more than others. I tried revving the motor a little, then let it go back to idle.

That made things worse clutch was locking up at higher speed.

I came to one stop could bare hold the bike with the brake when I did it killed the engine.

I tried to restart, but to restart you must hold the brake down, when you hold the brake down you stall the engine. This took about 10 minutes trying to get it re-started

This happened several times trying to get away from a light, When I finally got the thing started, I had to blow through a red traffic light so not to kill the engine, mean while trying to avoid killing my self.

I am thinking I should have gotten a SM5, Can you convert the SE5 to a SM5. Especially if the centrifical clutches are problematic and known for causing break downs.

Me & the wife were thinking of going to Daytona on the Spyder, but, now since this break down, we would have had to tow the Spyder, we would have been stranded also.

We are now thinking that the Spyder maybe an around town vehicle , only close to home kind of vehicle, don't go to far.

Too bad!! , Me & the wife had High hopes for the Spyder

A vehicle that leaves you stranded, violates your trust & confidence in it.

While it did not leave me stranded.

It did pull me into a intersection under power against a red light and I could not slow it down, good thing there was no one going through the intersection at the time.

I pulled into the dealer going about 15-20mph and could not slow it down.

I pushed the kill switch. The Spyder started Beeping at me. I thought it was that the parking brake was not set, no, it threw a fault code for BFD Fault (Brake force distribution).

I mentioned the brakes were not stopping very good last week to my dealer, The dealer said they were fine and they needed to broken in, and for me to go 50mph and do a few panic stops, since there is no fault code, they must be ok.

Now we have a BFD fault code. So I guess something might be wrong now.

I really like the Spyder, But this makes it tough to have confidence for any type of a long ride, We will have to stay close to home, !.

Well, All of our plans just went to .

For durability reasons, I was very reluctant to buy anything that was not Japanese. I guess I got my answer.

Well, one good thing, I bought the extended warranty

I don't want to sound negative, but that really sunk my battleship and all our plans. That' me being majorly disappointed

Thank God! ! ! ! ! ! I did not sell my continuous duty Goldwing(s).

Oh! well, The Spyder only cost $30K.

I must have expected way to much , !

I usually keep a spreadsheet on maintenance, I will have to keep Dealer labor hours on my log as well.

Westgl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got the Spyder back from the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it. Drove it home in heavy traffic without any incident.

Sorry, sounds like you need to work with the dealer on this Spyders issues. Not only is their reputation at stake BRP's is too.

Even with only 600 miles on the new Spyder it is one of the safest rides around. Planning on going to Daytona, the longest ride yet. Let you know if we run into any issues. Getting AAA Plus which covers free towing up to 100 miles.

Good luck with the dealer and the Spyder. They should resolve these issues for you.

Be careful and safe passage to you and your wife. Hope to see you at Daytona.

Spyder Garage

Westgl,
    I don't really understand why you are condemning your Spyder without giving the dealer a chance to fix it. This is not normal, and many, many SE5s are out there without problems of this nature. Seems like you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Use the warranty...that's what it is there for. Quite frankly, given the severity and danger of your problems, the Spyder should be trailered to the dealer. Call them and have them pick it up. I continue to be amazed at people who give up on things after a single problem. I guess we live in a "no-fail" society these days. More's the pity, since nothing made by man is 100% fault free.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Anything made by man can and will have problems. I just ran across a post on my Goldwing board that shows with a little research you'll find the Wing is not without it's own share of issues.
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=1

It very well could be by the luck of the draw you got a bad clutch but I wouldn't lump all Spyders in the "around town" group because of your problems. I've put over 40,000 miles on my Spyder in the last two years and it's held up just as well as any of my Honda's and better than my Suzuki, I spun a rod bearing at 20,000 miles on it and wound up replacing the motor on my dime.

I know you don't expect to have any problems with a vehicle you just spent $30,000 on but it will get fixed and it will treat you right and you'll renew the passion that drew you to the RT in the first place.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Creeping

Sorry for the negative post.

I was very upset, that my new bike with only 300 miles already has a major malfunction.

On a positive note, Lamonster, helped me (thank you) by contacting BRP direct.

BRP called me and they are going to work with my dealer to get my Spyder back working correctly.

I will keep this post updated.

Westgl

Spyder Garage

Westgl,
    From your post, telling us how you shift, it appears that you did not read the Owner's Manual on shifting the SE5. We have over 33,000 miles on our SE5, have been on a 13,624 miles trip last summer and no problems. In stating how your Spyder runs through intersections, etc., because it will not stop rolling, have you ever tried to put it in neutral? Also, when you start the SE5, with your foot on the brake, the Spyder will always start in Neutral, so why does yours jump forward? Just a few questions I have on what you have stated.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Glad you got a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Westgl,
    From your post, telling us how you shift, it appears that you did not read the Owner's Manual on shifting the SE5. We have over 33,000 miles on our SE5, have been on a 13,624 miles trip last summer and no problems. In stating how your Spyder runs through intersections, etc., because it will not stop rolling, have you ever tried to put it in neutral? Also, when you start the SE5, with your foot on the brake, the Spyder will always start in Neutral, so why does yours jump forward? Just a few questions I have on what you have stated.
    Dudley,

My Spyder was running good before this happened, there were what I thought were minor problems, but I had taken it in to the dealer already for them.

That is why I brought the Spyder back to my dealer in the first place. The SE5 trans was not shifting. It would go fine from 1 through 3 then no matter how many times you push the shift button, it stays in that gear.

I got it back from the dealer it was shifting fine, went for about a 70 mile ride then 1st the centrifugal clutch started giving me problems.

Normally you are right it starts in neutral, or it automatically shifts itself to neutral for starting.

Not this time, When I tried to start it, it was in 1st gear, When I started having a problem I looked at what gear I was in first, when I saw it was in first gear, I tried to shift it in to Neutral by hitting the minus button(like going into reverse but dont use the "R" button, just up shift). It would not go into neutral. It would only start it self in 1st. I tried turning it to off taking the key out then putting it back in.

Since the bike was stuck in 1st gear, I had to start it while holding the brake down, and pushing the starter, this was a challenge. That's the major malfunction, the Spyder did not find neutral like normal, Nor could I manually shift it to neutral.

All this happened while I was at a stop light, trying to get it started.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else it was a nightmare.

When I took off I heard some noises from the brakes, & from the engine

When I tried to start the Spyder it was in the 1st gear position, every time. (This is not normal)

That is why I said, Can these be converted back to manual SM5. There were several problems going on

1. Centrifugal Clutch creeping
    2. Trans Not automatically shifting to neutral when starting. And manual shift to neutral wont work.
    3. Brake force distribution BFD Fault threw a code as I came in to the dealer parking lot.

And yes I am fully aware of the shifting, When I ride I up shift while riding, and down shift for the turns. It had been functioning fine until all went to

For me a manual trans means this will Never happen again.

Westgl
    Last edited by westgl; 02-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer has not looked at the Problem yet

Went by my dealer to see what progress they were having.

Dropped it off Tuesday 23rd,

They parked it. I don't mind that they have not started on it yet.

Just as long as I can get it back running properly.

Besides it is suppose to rain tomorrow where i am, And that will give them the time to get the CB/Comm, & 660 Garmin installed.

It would be nice if the dealer received my RT-622 Trailer so I could start using it.

Carlo at BRP just called me, he made me feel better about the repairs that my dealer will do on my .

I asked If the RT-SE5 can be converted to Manual, he basically said that it is not advisable & was cost prohibitive.

In case someone else was interested, and when I get it back, it should be better than new. Well at least like new, well wait mine is new, sorta.

Mine must of been built on a Friday, too many sudds for lunch

Westgl

Spyder Garage

something i learned early on: always shift to neutral at extended stops as you would with a manual transmission, never shift to neutral unless byke is fully stopped, downshift yourself at 3k rpm ( auto downshift is a fallback mode so that the trans is in first at stops). remember this is not an automatic transmission...

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Centrifical Clutch Failure

I have 300 miles on my RT-SE5 automatic. Mine went back to the dealer for a Centrifugal clutch replacement that was bad.

I was very upset at first, but My dealer is taking care of the problem. BRP shipped the new part overnight next day air to my dealer.

BRP has been on the phone and had one of their top guys working with my dealer to help get the problem Trouble shot & resolved.

Lets face it, sometimes, once in a while, Stuff happens.

It's how well the dealers and manufacturers help to get you back up and running is what counts.

Between my Dealer & BRP they have been doing a great job.

Westgl

Orbital Blue RT-SE5
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Centrifical Clutch Failure

The new Centrifugal clutch arrived & has been installed, It is raining here at times pretty hard.

My Dealer wanted to wait for the rain to stop, before they test rode my Spyder, This so they would not under carriage dirty.

I really appreciate that.

It did dry out in the late after noon. My Dealer was able to test ride my Spyder.

My Dealer said that it rode perfect for a half hour.

My dealer wanted to keep it and test ride it again tomorrow to make sure that the problem is gone.

This was handled professionally, and the way I had hoped.

My Spyder dealer (Water World) & BRP worked seemless & flawlessly to resolve this problem.

I applaud them both

Westgl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine has died about 3 times a week while it down shifts from second to first while coming to a stop. Anybody else having this problem?

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Mine died once while stopped for a light. It was idling and just died. One other time it almost died, again at a stop light, same deal. It's in the shop now for service and replacement of the Yaw Sensor for a limp home fault. Don't know if that has anything to do with it dieing at the light but I'm hoping it cures it.

Dwight