Spyder Garage

Default Lifting my 2018 RTL......

Hey Guys,
    I went to lift my RTL and found a spring hanging in the exact area that I want to place 1 of the arms of my jack. (see pic). The spring appears to hold the exhaust manifold to another section of the exhaust. I can't turn it and I don't want to crush the spring, so I'm stumped. Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, how did you get around it? Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.
    IMG_3572.jpg
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Saying more than I know cuz I never lifted an RTL, but is there a way you can use blocks, such as pieces of 2X4 to avoid bearing against that spring?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

When I lift my RTL first I have to drive it up onto a pair of 1x6s just so the jack slides under and then I use a couple of 1x3s on the jack arms so it clears the exhaust.After its up I put more blocks under the rear tire and 2 jackstands under the front control arms.Jacking these things up is a PIA but when your head is underneath you feel safe so its worth it.I always climb on and jump around a bit just to be sure it wont drop ,better safe than sorry.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if your problem is wanting to lift, let it down, or reconnect the spring. As to the spring, you are correct it is part of your exhaust system. My memory is there are three of them and they are tough to get on and off. A T-Handle with a hook spring remover really helps. I ended up tying a rope to the handle and then using my leg to pull the spring enough to get it on the hook. I didn't have enough strength or leverage with my hand alone.

The best in resolving your problem(s).
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I went to lift my RTL and found a spring hanging in the exact area that I want to place 1 of the arms of my jack. (see pic). The spring appears to hold the exhaust manifold to another section of the exhaust. I can't turn it and I don't want to crush the spring, so I'm stumped. Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, how did you get around it? Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.
    IMG_3572.jpg
    Don't lift there. Seriously.
    2014 RTL Platinum