Spyder Garage

Default Two '09 SE5s won't start

Hi everyone, I have two 2009 SE5s that have not been ridden more than a couple times per year for the last five or six years. Due to reasons beyond my control, they have been sitting in the garage for approximately 9 months, on trickle chargers and with Sta-Bil in the fuel tanks. Historically, I have always fired them up every month or so, but not this time. Yesterday, I finally had the opportunity to get to them, and found that both batteries were dead. I purchased new batteries, but neither bike will start. They both crank, but will not turn over. The fuel tanks are close to full, and the gas does not smell fouled.

I don't know where to begin trying to solve this problem. I am not particularly mechanically inclined, so if anyone has any advice for me, please pretend you're explaining to a 5 year old (not proud).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

If you mean they crank over but do not fire up you should try the TWO (throttle wide open) proceedure. Turn on the spyder open the throttle fully and crank the engine for 10sec or so. Then shut her down and start the normal starting proceedure. If this does not get results check fuel supply and spark....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I you mean they crank over but do not fire up you should try the TWO (throttle wide open) proceedure. Turn on the spyder open the throttle fully and crank the engine for 10sec or so. Then shut her down and start the normal starting proceedure. If this does not get results check fuel supply and spark....
    I would agree. Sometimes when sitting for while they want to flood for some reason.

You may want to hook up a charger to the battery. Does not take long to run down the battery when cranking it a bunch of times.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

When hibernating a vehicle, let sleeping bears lie and never start it and run it for a few minutes. That does it far more harm than good. Start it only when you intend to take it out long enough to get everything up to operating temperature and then some.
    +1 on fully open throttle, but only short 2 to 3 second tries on the starter, no long grinds.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Sorry for taking so long to come back to this thread; Easter weekend kept me away from the computer. I tried TWO method, but it still will just crank, but not turn over. I did put the new batteries on chargers.

I'm not sure what next steps should be. Chucapa said to check fuel supply and spark. The fuel tanks are full on both Spyders, unless you mean supply differently, as in the fuel injector. I am inexperienced in working on things mechanical, so checking spark or any other part of the motor will be challenging. I'm willing to do these things, but I am afraid I would need a step-by-step instruction to get it done. For example, I know that I have to remove the frunk to get to the spark plugs, but do not know how to remove the frunk. I looked on YouTube for some videos, but only found instructions for RTs, and one for the F3.

Thanks to you guys for replying, and thanks in advance for any tips you could provide.

Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hi Keith,

Re: I know that I have to remove the frunk to get to the spark plugs, but do not know how to remove the frunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_JXqJhZCw0

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=sway+install

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight has a nifty push pin puller pliers. The link shows $9.99, but I got mine there for $4.99. And that was the shelf price.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...ush+pin+pliers
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quick update for everyone: I've been out straight with work, and haven't had the time to pull the frunk off of either Spyder to get to the plugs. However, this weekend, my wife was in the garage, and I thought I would show her what the Spyders are both doing when the key is turned. Much to my surprise, hers cranked twice, then fired up! She's a good luck charm! Hoping lightning would strike twice, I tried to start mine. It cranked a couple times, then almost turned over, then just kept cranking. The other new thing was that now my display scrolls the messages "PARKING BRAKE FAILURE" and "CHECK DPS." I can clear those display messages by pressing the "M" button on the instrument cluster, and the bike keeps doing the same thing, crank, but won't turn over.

With these error codes, should I be concerned/change my plan to check plugs on my Spyder?

Thanks!
    Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you have the on switch in the on position.

Spyder Garage

I get very confused with your use of 'crank' and 'turn over'.

For the past 70 years they have been the same thing for me & I believe for most people as well.

I hope you get yours to start in the end.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Sorry for using ambiguous terms. I have always interpreted them as two different things. By "crank," I mean that when I turn the key, the engine sounds like it wants to achieve full ignition, but it is not fully igniting, or "turning over." Essentially, it sounds like it wants to start, but it never fully starts. Yes, the on switch is in the on position.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I get very confused with your use of 'crank' and 'turn over'.

For the past 70 years they have been the same thing for me & I believe for most people as well.

I hope you get yours to stay in the end.
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have to repeat previous advice. Make sure the battery is fully charged or put booster cables on. Then turn the throttle to full open position and hold it there. Push the start button and crank the engine for 5 to 10 seconds. 10 seconds is max. Let the starter cool off for one minute or more. Then do it again. Cool the starter again. Then try a normal start without any throttle. May have to repeat.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I do agree you need to make sure battery is good especially since you are getting those codes thrown by ecu. I had it happened once on my jetski my battery died so i replaced it with a new and still wouldnt go. I was scratching my head couldnt figure out it ended up being a faulty new battery. So triple check that your battery is good and its the right size.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have to repeat previous advice. Make sure the battery is fully charged or put booster cables on. Then turn the throttle to full open position and hold it there. Push the start button and crank the engine for 5 to 10 seconds. 10 seconds is max. Let the starter cool off for one minute or more. Then do it again. Cool the starter again. Then try a normal start without any throttle. May have to repeat.
    Yep he's correct