Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone installed satellite radio on 2018-19?

If you have installed satellite radio on a 2018-19 I would be interested in how and your hardware choices. It looks simple enough to buy a auto unit and install on my Spyder. Plug it into the AUX input into the radio. The problem is being the head unit. They are not waterproof. Don't like the removable type and the mount is not waterproof. The permanent mounted style could be put in a waterproof case. But the touchscreen is not accessible unless you stop and unzip the case.

Thanks

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I dont have a 2018. I just leave the head unit in the trunk and tune to a station I like and leave it.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

A sandwich bag is probably the only alternative. You could buy a remote. I have an old onyx unit and use the remote for it. I have mine in the glovebox hooked to the AUX.

>CLICK ME<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    While I dont have a 2018. I just leave the head unit in the trunk and tune to a station I like and leave it.
    That is an option and I may do that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    A sandwich bag is probably the only alternative. You could buy a remote. I have an old onyx unit and use the remote for it. I have mine in the glovebox hooked to the AUX.

>CLICK ME<
    Did not know there where remotes for some units. May have to look at that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I still use an ancient Roady because it doesn't have touch controls, it uses actual push buttons. It's also possible to buy a waterproof cover for it. When washing the Spyder, I either dismount it or cover it with a sandwich bag. I've seen NOS units available on eBay and elsewhere. They're built like bricks compared to newer units as well IMO.

The downside to units like the Roady is that you have to route three cables; power, audio and antenna. I have a Sirius Commander, which uses a separate control panel, but haven't felt like disassembling the Roady installation just yet.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If you have installed satellite radio on a 2018-19 I would be interested in how and your hardware choices. It looks simple enough to buy a auto unit and install on my Spyder. Plug it into the AUX input into the radio. The problem is being the head unit. They are not waterproof. Don't like the removable type and the mount is not waterproof. The permanent mounted style could be put in a waterproof case. But the touchscreen is not accessible unless you stop and unzip the case.

Thanks
    Hi Billy, I see you have an F3. As an owner of an RT, and not being familiar with the F3, my post may not be relevant to your situation. I just mounted the control head in the glove box on my RT. The only challenge I had was finding a double female 3 conductor audio barrel connector for the audio hook up here in our small town, since the RT comes with a male audio plug in the frunk. Also the XM unit I bought required using the high audio output setting to get enough audio out of the BRP system.

If the F3 does not have a glove box, I think buying a unit with a remote. as previously suggested by others, would be your best bet.

Good luck,
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

My Sat radio lives in the trunk because that is where the Aux input is on the 2014. I have a portable head that I can switch between the bike, car and home so I need only one subscription. Portable docking stations available at Best Buy and others..... Volume works great but have to stop to access the trunk for station changes. I mounted the sat radio anetenna to the top side of the trunk near the plug for the CB antenna. Just used velcro. The wire fits nicely into the trunk going over the lip opening without any modification..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Now that's just too easy.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

>CLICK ONYX<
    The onyx is what I use. I have a cradle/dock that I use to switch between my Spyder and my Truck.

>CLICK DOCK<

>CLICK REMOTE<

Another option is to get the Sirius app and use your fone with BT.
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 05-04-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I have put this project on hold for now. Thanks for all the responses.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy, I don't know if this is of interest to you or others in this situation or not, but here goes:
    When I bought my 2017 F3L, I wanted to get sound from the radio into my helmet. We bought Sena 10's and paired up the wife and I to communicate; also added my Zumo 590 and cell phone. Was told the only way I could get the Spyder radio into my helmet was to buy an expensive Bluetooth dongle ($350) from BRP. Did that, only to be told by dealer AFTER it arrived that it couldn't be installed and wouldn't work with my F3L (btw, this is a very experienced dealer - they took it back and refunded in full). I went without helmet radio until I bought my new truck, which came with Sirius XM. Sirius had a promotion going which offered free streaming (for a year) to any other home device. I quickly added my laptop and my cell phone. Also paid a reduced rate up-front for a year's renewal; credit card won't be billed until later. I don't use the streaming often, but it is great when I do. Since my phone is already paired to my helmet, I get my SiriusXM from it, and don't go through the Spyder radio. My phone is usually in my jacket pocket. Buying a new truck may have been an expensive, round-about solution, but I now get the sound I want by just using my phone, and still have the other Sena communication features. I'm not very techy, and usually struggle with this stuff. This works for my limited brain. You have passed along helpful info to me in past; just thought I'd try to respond in a small, hopefully helpful way. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    My Sat radio lives in the trunk because that is where the Aux input is on the 2014. I have a portable head that I can switch between the bike, car and home so I need only one subscription. Portable docking stations available at Best Buy and others..... Volume works great but have to stop to access the trunk for station changes. I mounted the sat radio anetenna to the top side of the trunk near the plug for the CB antenna. Just used velcro. The wire fits nicely into the trunk going over the lip opening without any modification..... Jim
    Wonder if one of these would work to change your channels with an XM remote. Just needs USB voltage. I use one of them for my home theater since it's in a cabinet out of the reach of the IR remote.

Drawback might be sunshine.

>IR repeater kit CLICK ME<
    >remote CLICK ME<

Spyder Garage

To Everyone:
    Where did you mount the magnetic mount antenna? I just located a handlebar mount for my onyx plus and getting ready to do the install. Just curious since all external parts are plastic. Thanks for any response.
    2019 F3-T , Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harleypop View Post
    To Everyone:
    Where did you mount the magnetic mount antenna? I just located a handlebar mount for my onyx plus and getting ready to do the install. Just curious since all external parts are plastic. Thanks for any response.
    Since I used it sparingly, I put mine in the Windshield vent. But, you can double stick tape something to anywhere.

>CLICK ME<

Spyder Garage

I was planning on putting it on the rear trunk lid.

Foam core trim mounting tape from the auto parts store. Great stuff.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I use no-mar hook strips to mount my GoPro to the dash. 1 each side because the dash is peaked. Blacked with a sharpie. Makes for easy removal and remount. You could use that to put it on any surface.

>CLICK ME<

Attached Images Attached Images