Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotella t6

Spyder Garage

Default Rotella t6

Is Shell Rotella T6 ok for Ryker??

Spyder Garage

Look in your owner's manual for the oil recommendation. You can look up the specific oil on the Internet and find the API classification. The viscosity will be listed also. That information can also be found on the oil container.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

If the viscosity and rating of the oil matches what is recommended in the owner's manual, then it should be OK. You will need to do a little research to find out.

I do not have a Ryker owners nor shop manual.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

83A45932-F41C-4643-9273-A4CB0E62BF35.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]171110[/ATTACH

Or this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

I always use a high quality synthetic diesel oil in ALL my vehicles. I know, it is overkill, but I use only the BEST!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    I always use a high quality synthetic diesel oil in ALL my vehicles. I know, it is overkill, but I use only the BEST!
    Maybe you can tell us what that is.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Maybe you can tell us what that is.
    Mobil One 5W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, available at Walmart by the gallon. It is sometimes in a separate area from the regular oils.

I went a whopping 130,000 miles with it in my Volvo bigrig truck, whilst normal oil change interval was 20,000 miles. I accomplished this thru oil analysis, and changing the three (3) oil filters every 30,000 miles.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5...1-gal/17128879

Spyder Garage

What is it you fell the Rotella T6 does not meet? It has a long history in Spyders and motorcycles in general with great service record.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    What is it you fell the Rotella T6 does not meet? It has a long history in Spyders and motorcycles in general with great service record.
    Nothing. It is probably equally as good. I will use it. It is a little cheaper, and more readily available at Walmart.

I will take it to 10,000 miles, as synthetic oil can be used for at least twice the miles as dino oil.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nothing. It is probably equally as good. I will use it. It is a little cheaper, and more readily available at Walmart.

I will take it to 10,000 miles, as synthetic oil can be used for at least twice the miles as dino oil.
    Sorry I can't provide the link.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Specifically the requirements for the Ryker according to the specs of the oil and what the manual calls for. It's not SL SJ SM or SN
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Mobil One 5W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, available at Walmart by the gallon. It is sometimes in a separate area from the regular oils.

I went a whopping 130,000 miles with it in my Volvo bigrig truck, whilst normal oil change interval was 20,000 miles. I accomplished this thru oil analysis, and changing the three (3) oil filters every 30,000 miles.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5...1-gal/17128879

This oil meets the Ryker specs.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m not doubting but would like to know why this diesel oil is good to use in our Rykers? Thanks, cueman

Spyder Garage

Actually, far exceeds them.

Spyder Garage

That would be an excellent choice, the Mobil 1

Spyder Garage

Specifically the requirements for the Ryker according to the specs of the oil and what the manual calls for. It's not SL SJ SM or SN
    Rest easy. It carries API SN, just not on the bottle. Here is the technical data sheet:

http://www.purseroil.com/wp-content/...T6%205W-40.pdf

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I’m not doubting but would like to know why this diesel oil is good to use in our Rykers? Thanks, cueman
    Its long been the case that heavy duty diesel oils are both rated for and hold up well in gasoline engines. Just not vise versa. They do especially well in engines that have a shared gear box because of the high shear strength and low wear properties of the diesel oils. Most strictly gasoline engine oils are more concerned with emissions and protection of a catalytic converter than engine wear. MANY motorcycle shops stock and use the Rotella T6. It does carry the JASO MA2 wet clutch motorcycle oil rating as well. Shell maintains that certification because of the large motorcycle customer base for the oil.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Diesel oils typically start out with a higher TBN (Total Base Number) than gasoline oils. The TBN is what fights acidity. Normally, they say oil should be changed when said number is 1/2 the original. If the oil used by Can-AM has a TBN is 9.0 (I'm just speculating), then at 4.5 it should be changed. But if you start with an oil with a TBN of 12.0, then you have that much more life & protection with it.

Spyder Garage

I've been using T6 in all my motorcycles (and cars) for years. I usually change oil anywhere from 4000 to 8000, depending on the vehicle as much as anything. I just purchased a 2.5 gal jug of T6 at Tractor Supply for $59 including tax, or about $24 a gal. WalMart is about the same price. And I just changed the oil in my FJR after 8000 miles, will change it again when I get back from AK in June. It used to be said (by the unknowing masses) that full synth was too slick and wasn't good for wet clutches. Not so. But, YMMV. Use whatever oil you are comfortable with, just don't be afraid to use diesel oil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    I've been using T6 in all my motorcycles (and cars) for years. I usually change oil anywhere from 4000 to 8000, depending on the vehicle as much as anything. I just purchased a 2.5 gal jug of T6 at Tractor Supply for $59 including tax, or about $24 a gal. WalMart is about the same price. And I just changed the oil in my FJR after 8000 miles, will change it again when I get back from AK in June. It used to be said (by the unknowing masses) that full synth was too slick and wasn't good for wet clutches. Not so. But, YMMV. Use whatever oil you are comfortable with, just don't be afraid to use diesel oil.
    If the circular emblem on the bottle says "ENERGY SAVING" it indeed has "friction modifiers" that "potentially" could allow the clutch to slip under hard acceleration. Since the Ryker has a CVT, such a potential simply does not apply.

Spyder Garage

Correction!: I meant I will use Chevron Delo full synthetic. Equivalent to Rotella T6, but considerably cheaper.

Spyder Garage

Name brand, wet clutch compatible.....BAM good to go!!!
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    Name brand, wet clutch compatible.....BAM good to go!!!
    Not a "wet clutch".

Spyder Garage

Correction!: I meant I will use Chevron Delo full synthetic. Equivalent to Rotella T6, but considerably cheaper.

Not equivalent!

My manual says JASO MA2. The Delo® 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 application chart says JASO DH-2.

MA2 is for motorcycle, 4 cycle, wet clutch applications. From JASO web site: JASO T 903 is classified into four grade types, MA, MA1, MA2, and MB, according to the test result based on the above-mentioned JASO clutch system friction test.”

The DH-2 is for heavy duty diesel trucks and busses. From JASO web site: “the DH-2 and DH-2F classification has been specified for heavy duty uses on trucks/buses.”

So what is obvious to me is that the Delo above is not rated for motorcycles and its use in my Syder could quite possibly void the warranty.

T6 is rate JASO MA2.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    If you didn't get the REBATE form with your purchase ….. another member here posted a LINK to the current Rotella Rebate which is considerable ….. do a search above ….. to find it ….. Mike