Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Motorcycles are kinda like helicopters. Some people refer to some of both as choppers. The standard safety briefing for a CH-47 (Chinook) includes a warning about hydraulic fluid on the rear ramp is a slip hazard when entering/exiting the aircraft, followed immediately by the crew chief saying, "And if there isn't any leaking onto the ramp, don't get on board. It means the bird is OUT of hydraulic fluid." If you stop hearing/feeling that clunk, don't try to ride it!
    Kinda like an aircraft radial engine. When it is not running, if it is not leaking oil, don't start it...it is out of oil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The CLUNK - Yep, what everyone else said ….. however, if it really, really upsets you or others … The warmer the engine is, I believe the less it will CLUNK …… at least that has been my observation..... Personally since the CLUNK isn't at all harmful, is it worth the time and Gas to diminish the CLUNK ….. Test out my theory and decide for yourself …… good luck …. Mike
    Well said! Mine is a 2010 SE5, and still being a very [unusual] February here in the Northeast, I’ve gotten my first rides in as a Spyder owner. I too, was worried about the Clunk, but as you stated, it definitely calms down once the engine reaches full temp. I do find that it still clunks when downshifting, regardless of if I do it, or just let the bike do it itself, which is usually the case. We get lazier in our old age lol.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've posted and explained the procedure here before as to how to avoid the clunk if it worries or annoys you. The clunk is because of the type of transmission BRP chose to use in their spyders. There is also a full explanation of the transmission along with pictures posted here on this site. In short, after the engine fires watch the tach, and as the needle rises and just before its high point and before drops, make your shift into first or reverse and there will be no clunk. It takes practice to find that sweet spot, but it's there, believe me. I'm getting better and better at catching it myself. I'm getting it now about 80% of the time. Good luck, it takes practice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: tack (a small sharp broad head nail) - tach (short for tachometer, rev counter).... ;-)