Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why the Ryker feels "Fast"

When I looked at the specs and saw some 0-60 numbers, my thought was, well, it's like a big old HD as far as performance. But it "feels" fast. The only thing I can think of is because it's so low to the ground, more like an Ariel Atom that a sport bike. I look down and my foot is very close to the ground. Now, I am coming off of owning a Ninja 1000, which on paper slays the Ryker (120 hp and 516 lbs wet). It is noticeably slower than the Ninja, but not as much as I expected. I am pleased about this because I like spirited riding. What are your thoughts?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Low to the ground can make the experience "seem" faster. Same with side car passengers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    . What are your thoughts?
    600 or 900? Big difference in performance, 32 HP to be exact. 82 HP is more than most stock HD's put out.

Spyder Garage

I have the 900
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Power to weight ratios for Ryker and Spyder are similar, so 0-60 times should be similar as well – around 5 seconds depending on riders weight. Due to CVT traying all the time to stay in the optimal torque range, roll-on/mid speed acceleration also is and feels fast. Max speed runs out around 102 mph due to cvt gearing set-up. Low seating definitely adds to speed drama

Spyder Garage

It feels fast because it is so low to the ground! Once had a 1972 Honda 600 air cooled 2 cylinder that had 10" cylinder (car) that had 10" wheels that was so low to the ground that you felt like you were in a go kart. So driving seemed much faster than it was.

Spyder Garage

Plus, the engine is so very noisy, making it feel fast too.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I have seen credible 0-60 times for either US Ryker model. Martin the Vlogger did one but it was a euro spec model. Getting the rear tire to hook up is part of the problem for a time run.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I'm not sure I have seen credible 0-60 times for either US Ryker model. Martin the Vlogger did one but it was a euro spec model. Getting the rear tire to hook up is part of the problem for a time run.
    Yeah, a fatass person (like me) might do better than a light weight w/little weight on rear tire!

Spyder Garage

I took my ryker to 110....put it in Rally mode and the speed limiter turns off.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Low to the ground and engine noise may add to the perception of speed. But I think the main contributor is the CVT which keeps the engine at peek HP at all times during full throttle. The way it pulls right from the start and just keeps pulling all the way up gives a seat of the pants sensation of 'Fast'.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The 900 is a Rocket that's for sure.

Spyder Garage

If my memory serves me right I recall a Can-Am promotional video that they put out with one of their engineers who work on the Ryker talking about the seating position and or low center of gravity and the effects it has for the rider.

I also have to say BajaRon is also onto something with the CVT clutching thought because snowmobiles have the same CVT clutch and even a slow sled seems fast for the most part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I test rode and purchased a Rally today. I thought it felt about as quick as my 998 RS. It felt quick but I wouldn't call it fast or a rocket personally. I do agree being lower to the ground makes it feel faster. Its a nice bike. Small, handles great, good ergos.....its quick but I do wish it was a bit quicker. I thought it was quiet compared to my RS. Really quiet actually. It was smooth, no belt vibration. I won't miss that from the RS.

Spyder Garage

They do 'feel' fast. Just don't pick on F3s....especially modified ones. There is a considerable difference in 'actual' performance. Multiple bike lengths in simple acceleration pulls. Oddly the F3 also seems to launch quicker from a standing start due to better traction but I have no idea why. Perhaps less initial torque to break the tire loose.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I test rode and purchased a Rally today. I thought it felt about as quick as my 998 RS. It felt quick but I wouldn't call it fast or a rocket personally. I do agree being lower to the ground makes it feel faster. Its a nice bike. Small, handles great, good ergos.....its quick but I do wish it was a bit quicker. I thought it was quiet compared to my RS. Really quiet actually. It was smooth, no belt vibration. I won't miss that from the RS.
    It is a rare person (or vehicle) that the owner does not wish it were faster.

2blowerboss.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a rare person (or vehicle) that the owner does not wish it were faster.
    I doubt that with considerable seriousness. It is about the ride, not how fast you can possibly get there!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    I doubt that with considerable seriousness. It is about the ride, not how fast you can possibly get there!!!

Tell that to John Force and when he quits laughing let me know what he says.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Tell that to John Force and when he quits laughing let me know what he says.
    Not worried about a one-off, possible trying to make up for anatomical shortfalls. The bottom line is the faster you go, the shorter the ride, hence less total enjoyment time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Aufgeblassen47;1435553]Not worried about a one-off, possible trying to make up for anatomical shortfalls. The bottom line is the faster you go, the shorter the ride, hence less total enjoyment time.[/QUOTE

Depends on what you enjoy. Some like a long steady ride that lasts all day. Some like to get out of work and feel the rush of corner to corner power for an hour before they get home.

Spyder Garage

A lot of it is about rider feeling and capabilities of the vehicle. I have test ridden a Kawasaki Ninja, a great handling motorcycle that is capable of immediate confiscation of bike and suspension of licence type speeds. I couldn't come close to using that machine at the limits of its capability legally on the road or even within my skill level on the track. I have also tested a Honda Grom, a small 125cc sport bike styled bike with a top speed of maybe 70mph in stock trim. The Ninja was fun knowing all that power and handling was available, but the Grom was really a blast flogging that little bike to the very edge of its capabilities in the twisties of the Ozarks. The Ryker I rode seemed to be like that. It wasn't the quickest or had the highest speed, but the size, lightness and riding position makes it seem faster.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Seems to be a feeling....I do know that the initial pick up of that CVT transmission is quick especially compared to the Se5/6 but not so much the manuals....guess it is like cars painted red... just look like they are going faster.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think the Ryker is all that fast from a standing start, but when it gets up to 20 or 30 mph it has plenty of torque. The kind of torque that you had better hold on tight. It has more speed than I will ever need, even passing rv's up a steep hill. I have hit 70 mph a couple of times and I know theres more there. I am really not interested in what top speed is, at least I keep telling myself that....

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I am a little surprised to hear this. I had a 2012 RSS, and test rode a ryker 900. To me there was no way the ryker that I rode would hang with my rss. But I guess it is just different bikes.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am a little surprised to hear this. I had a 2012 RSS, and test rode a ryker 900. To me there was no way the ryker that I rode would hang with my rss. But I guess it is just different bikes.
    Well, I'll have to compare side by side to know for sure. I don't think the Rally is as fast as the RS but at the same time I don't think its that far off between the speeds of 30-90