Thread: Braking

Spyder Garage

Default Braking

Hey Guys,

I just bought my Ryker and this is my first three wheeled motorcycle. The brakes do not appear to grip very well when applied (it takes longer to slow down). Since I am still in the break in period, I am avoiding hard braking, but it still feels as though the brakes are not engaging properly. Anyone else have this issue?

Spyder Garage

I felt the same way when I made the transition from two wheels to the Ryker. I have come to realize that the brakes are very strong but with out the nosedive common to two wheels. The perception is different but the action of three sets of brakes on the extra tire contact patch is truly impressive.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

I've got a 900 and kind of felt the same way during the break in. Then I had to stomp on them when a truck started to turn left in front of me. It'll stop!! Tslepebull is right about it not nose diving. After the break in go somewhere and stomp on them, you'll see. It felt very stable under full breaking to me. Let's us know what you think after the break in. Ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

It is actually not a bad idea to do a few, back to back panic stops with the Ryker. The motorcycle brake industry describes this as a series of 3 hard stops from 60 mph to 20 mph in a row. This will do 3 things for you. 1- it will 'Bed In' the 'Green' brake pads. Heating up the pads good and hot cures the resin which binds the friction material making the pads more effective. 2- It mates the pads to the rotor giving you more contact surface area increasing stopping power. 3- It gives you a good idea of what to expect in a panic braking situation BEFORE you get into one.

Of course you need to do this in a traffic free, straight, open roadway with enough room to complete the task. Be Safe!

The pads will do all of this over time. Maybe several hundred miles depending on how much and how hard you use them. But this will not give you the experience of what to expect in a panic stop.

The main thing to remember is that anytime you get your brakes hot, do not come to a complete stop if you can help it. And if you do need to come to a complete stop. Do all you can NOT to continue to apply the brakes. If you do have to continue to apply the brakes while stopped, do it as lightly as possible and move a little bit if possible. This only applies if the brakes are really hot. You'll usually get that unique 'Hot Brake' smell when you need to consider this advise.

The reason for this approach is that when you have very hot rotors and very hot brake pads. While moving without the brakes applied the rotors have a chance to cool evenly. However, if you clamp the hot brake pads tightly to a hot rotor by applying the brakes while stopped, that portion of the rotor where the brake pads are still in contact can actually get hotter as the rest of the rotor cools. This can warp your rotor. I say CAN! Not will. But once your rotor is warped, it will have to be replaced. This usually happens to one or both front rotors as the rear typically does not heat up as much as the fronts.

If you warp a rotor, it is highly advised to go to the EBC rotors. They stop better and I have yet to have a customer warp an EBC rotor. And some of my customers have warped as many as 3 sets of OEM BRP rotors before coming to me to get the EBC replacements.

Since these rotor destroying customers are still running the EBC rotors. I am impressed with the EBC rotors. Not to mention that the EBC rotors are less expensive than the OEM BRP rotors.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-17-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ummm..... I have a mere 600, and it slows down so quickly due to engine compression when approaching a red light, I hardly ever have to brake! I imagine the 900 has a lot more engine braking.

If somehow my brakes totally failed, I would still ride it. Just keep my distance from vehicles in front!

Spyder Garage

You are not alone. I experienced(ing) the same through break in. It is getting better though! I still have the smell of the resins coming off yet, that seems to take a bit of time. Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Ummm..... I have a mere 600, and it slows down so quickly due to engine compression when approaching a red light, I hardly ever have to brake! I imagine the 900 has a lot more engine braking.

If somehow my brakes totally failed, I would still ride it. Just keep my distance from vehicles in front!
    I agree! Makes it very easy to drive