Spyder Garage

Question Airflow Heat issue on 2008 GS

Hi All-

So I have been reading on this site for the past few days for solutions to help dissipate the heat which occurs, especially down by the right foot. All the choices to look at and I am trying to figure which will work best, so I am hoping based off everyones experience I can make an educated decision which route to go:

The most expensive choice would be replacing the side panels for increased air flow with the 2014 air scoop kit. Not real sure on pricing or what part numbers they are. Does part # 705007743 and #705007744 sound right? I am not sure this would make much difference because my spyder does not have the fog lights, so those recessed openings give open flow of air to the engine bay. If someone could verify the part numbers, I would truly appreciate it.

2nd choice based on price would be the missing air dam, air management system, and/or missing heat shield on spyderpops.com All of these seem like great workable ideas except I have concerns about the heat shield falling off. Thoughts and experiences please...

Last choice, but this may be the first choice I am looking at is removing the underside splash guard because it's FREE. Any disadvantages to doing this one? Any true risk of damage? Increased airflow out of the engine bay area is what I have read on this choice of being a good one.

If there are any other ideas out there you would like to share that would be great as well. I installed JT's air filter setup and it helped alot with increased airflow by freeing up space.

Lastly, I have done this research to increase my riding season. Living in the palm springs area, the spyder is just too warm after it hits a 100, so riding here from May to October is a real sizzler and I just usually put her away until after dark or early in the morning. If I could get her to cool down a bit, maybe I can add a few weeks on either end of my riding season.

Thank you for all your help. This is truly a great site with alot of experienced individuals...you are all awesome.

Jeff
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default What I did...

I have the spyderpops right side air system both radiator foam inserts and the fan deflection. I also drilled out 11/2 "and 2" holes all over the bottom panels. Some just remove them. I also run 75% water 25% antifreeze. Wrapped the exhaust pipes and have JT's air cleaner as well. I did also add ram air ducts one to the air filter one to the rear cylinder. She runs 4 to 5 bars in the over 100° days. Can still be toasty when not moving but way cooler than it was. The side panels would help but don't have them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have the spyderpops right side air system both radiator foam inserts and the fan deflection. I also drilled out 11/2 "and 2" holes all over the bottom panels. Some just remove them. I also run 75% water 25% antifreeze. Wrapped the exhaust pipes and have JT's air cleaner as well. I did also add ram air ducts one to the air filter one to the rear cylinder. She runs 4 to 5 bars in the over 100° days. Can still be toasty when not moving but way cooler than it was. The side panels would help but don't have them...
    You wouldn’t happen to have any pictures of the additional rams and holes drilled in your panels?
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    You wouldn’t happen to have any pictures of the additional rams and holes drilled in your panels?
    You can check my albums....click on my handle (chupaca) and view profile and you will see the albums. I did order the eroupean panels and the fog light mounts and used them to install the turbo fans other parts I got from autoparts store. cheapcycleparts.com has the oem parts for all models. The modified panels may do the trick as well and easier to install...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The number one item on your list is to change the Y pipe gaskets to Honda ones. That is if it has not been done before. Anything else you do will not have much effect if hot exhaust is puking out at your right foot.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Side Panels
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ls#post1146306

See post #391 for the kit and for part numbers.

I also drilled several 3" holes in the belly pans to vent the engine and ease oil changes.
    I'm in the process of installing JT's air filter system.
    Good Luck, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Put on the Spyderpops heat shield and will drill out the belly pans to create venting and make oil changes easier. What is the part number for the honda gasket? I doubt that mine has been changed. Bought it bare stock with 5k on the clock. I might welcome the heat though over my week-long June Ontario trek

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The number one item on your list is to change the Y pipe gaskets to Honda ones. That is if it has not been done before. Anything else you do will not have much effect if hot exhaust is puking out at your right foot.
    Already got her done...thanks
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    Already got her done...thanks
    ………….. Also check out e-bay's selection of Computer fans,,,, they have lots of different sizes, are 12v , use very little electricity, and move quite a bit of air for their size ( 40 to 50 cu.ft. per min., depending on size ) …… also they are dirt cheap $ 3-4 each -delivered ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I've applied ALL suggestions to alleviate the heat except wrapping the pipes. Sitting still or at slow speeds (traffic) there is MUCH HEAT (mainly lower right leg area). No cure. After all heat mods, wearing high boots with long trousers only is solution to make bearable.
    Fog lights
    Tour wind screen & deflectors
    Auxiliary power
    KewlMetal - radiator web
    SpyderPops - Air Dam, Heat Shield & Air Management
    Rivco - floorboards
    Easy Risers
    ISCI - passenger armrests
    Canisterectomy Stant 10819 gas cap
    DYI rear splash guards
    Frunk light
    Handlebar foam grips,cup holder & mirrors
    Wool seat cover
    Rear rack bag
    Car tires Solar 175/65r14 - 215/60r15
    MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY)
    LED strips brake/running
    2008 GS , MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY) - Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport Spark Plugs #XS4162 Stock BLACK/SILVER

Spyder Garage

I have an 08 and live in Florida as well as doing a lot of ryding in the southwest. I have had all the Spyderpops stuff since it became available. I have not wrapped my pipes or vented or removed my belly pan. I have ridden in triple digit temps for years with no ill effect on my machine. I do wear ATGATT. Remember there are cooling vests etc. that actually make a big difference especially in a low humidity areas like yours. Here in the land of 85+% humidity they help, but not as much. In the summer I wear synthetic or silk long underwear, with a cooling vest and neck roll under a mesh suit. I tried the long underwear after watching professional road racers do they same. They are trapped in full leather and can't take advantage of mesh gear. Been on two or three wheels for over 50 years and as I get older, the heat gets tougher to deal with. What I've described is the best I have found so far. I have never owned a "Veskikmo" as that involves a cold water/ice container, pumps, hoses and a vest with tubing. Too much to carry for a person that does most of their ryding 2up. If it was only me on the Spyder I might give the Veskimo a try.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Hi. I’m new to the forum - great stuff being posted. I’ve had my 2012 RS Se5 for 3 years now. She’s a beauty but the heat on my right foot has been quite a problem.....actually been thinking about trading it in for a 2014..... Called my dealer as soon as I realized that I was “burning my leg/foot” and was told that there wasn’t anything they could do and gave me absolutely no suggestions. Last summer I bought “half-chaps” which helped with the lower leg but my foot continues to burn. I’ve read all the suggestions but as a 70 yr. old lady I am not mechanically inclined and there is no guarantee that any of the “fixes” will solve my problem. I have footboards but thinking of removing them and putting back pegs. That would bring my foot back and up a couple of inches. Can’t hurt to try it. Any other suggestions ???

Spyder Garage

Remove the Right AND left belly pan (About 3 10mm Screws each) I spent 35,000 miles on my Now sold 09GS without them and it costs about 1 hour and a 10mm socket.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

What are belly pans?

Spyder Garage

I put the spyderpop heat shield by the foot peg and also removed the pans on both sides, when I put Lamonster's highway peg mount/pegs on. I Just have the bracket to drop down now for easy oil changes. I feel a little heat, but not bad and always ride in touring boots. Other than that, mine is stock.

Spyder Garage

Which pegs did you purchase?

Spyder Garage

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...egs-lamonster/

The highway brackets... and then the trident kuryachyn large pegs. (You can choose whatever peg design you want. Many are offered.)
    It has a really nice look to it and is functional.

The brackets are 175 and pegs 71. Check them out on his webpage under the RS/GS section.

There is a really good video of the install on the page with the brackets. It was not a hard install at all.

Spyder Garage

OMG you are a lifesaver!!! Thank you so much I’ll let you know how I make out....

Spyder Garage

Hi...I don’t understand what and where the “belly pan” is? Anyone have pictures? Is there another name for it? Still trying to fix the “heat””problem... Took off my footboards over the weekend hoping that it will help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LilSpyder View Post
    Hi...I don’t understand what and where the “belly pan” is? Anyone have pictures? Is there another name for it? Still trying to fix the “heat””problem... Took off my footboards over the weekend hoping that it will help.
    I don't have any photo's but here's the front part of the pan highlighted in yellow on an exploded diagram of parts. Its just a plastic cover on the underside of the frame:
    Spyder parts.png

There's a couple more further back as well:
    Spyder parts2.png

Sorry I couldn't find better pictures for you.

Spyder Garage

Watch this video and you'll see the panels and instructions for removing them. I hope it helps explain. The panels are explained a little before the 3 minute mark in the video.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...d2&action=view

Spyder Garage

ALERT! Found mouse nest in airbox partially restricting air filter. Removed mouse debris and installed new filter... improved heat issue.
    Fog lights
    Tour wind screen & deflectors
    Auxiliary power
    KewlMetal - radiator web
    SpyderPops - Air Dam, Heat Shield & Air Management
    Rivco - floorboards
    Easy Risers
    ISCI - passenger armrests
    Canisterectomy Stant 10819 gas cap
    DYI rear splash guards
    Frunk light
    Handlebar foam grips,cup holder & mirrors
    Wool seat cover
    Rear rack bag
    Car tires Solar 175/65r14 - 215/60r15
    MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY)
    LED strips brake/running
    2008 GS , MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY) - Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport Spark Plugs #XS4162 Stock BLACK/SILVER