Spyder Garage

Default Question about the Airbag

We decided to install a FOBO on the airbag fill under the seat. We have been running 60 lbs. no matter single or 2 up riding. Took it out for the first time today with the FOBO on. With the 2 of us on, it shot up to 70 lbs.. After riding a few miles it read 80 lbs.. What is the burst limit on the airbag? If anyone even knows this. Is 80 lbs. normal with 2 up? I realize that it must be ok as we never knew the air pressure while riding before the FOBO. Also has anyone bought a small hand air pump to add air? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Automatic Rear Air Suspension Kit for Spyder F3-T, F3 Limited pn 219400738 will solve your question

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Air escapes pretty quickly when filling the bag so I would avoid a pump that has a screw on connector.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

IIRC, the 'cold pressure setting' for the air bag is 100psi, and that will very likely increase somewhat once you start ryding & the bag starts flexing a lot thru use......

If the small Spyder airbag increases its pressure thru use anything like all of the other 'suspension &/or height setting' airbags that are around, then it probably wont ever go much over about 120psi, except maybe momentarily as the bag is compressed when you hit a bump etc!! But you don't really need to worry about that too much, your 'pressure of concern' should be the pressure in the air bag before you start ryding for the day, and according to the documentation for my 2013 RT Ltd, that should see a minimum of 5 psi & a maximum of 100 psi. Most solo ryders will only want something around 20-40ish psi, and very likely only the heaviest couples will need much over 75 psi or so to maintain 'normal' ryde heights - and please do remember that this air bag does NOT change the spring or shock rate, it reallyonly adjusts the static ryde height.

That said, you do need to be a little careful putting a FOBO type system on the under seat air bag schraeder valve, cos the TPMS WILL need to have fairly wide ranging 'over & under pressure limits' set simply because
    1) the bag will be subjected to fairly sudden & significant pressure variations as the suspension loads & unloads during normal operation - ie, as the suspension compresses & expands over normal irregularity bumps & pot-holes in the road surface; &
    2) the bag is TINY, so a small change in pressure may have a fairly significant impact on the pre-set ryde height &/or the air bag's response to the bumps & expansions under a solo ryder &/or a pillion passenger!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I bought a small hand air pump to add air. It works really well but gets hard to pump at 40 psi. That's where I like to run mine so I don't know how much more you could get in.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I have been running the airbag at about 40-45 psi for a while riding solo. If on a bumpy road where there is a lot of action on the rear shock, it will raise up due to temperature. Sometimes will go RED on the box. If you notice this, you can go into settings and manually override the MIN/MAX numbers a few points to take this fluctuation into account. Here is the T-valve I use on my valve stem. Ask Jacob at the Lamonster Garage to get some of these in stock. As for filling it, I use a common air compressor and just take off the top cap and give it a quick hit of air. You will see the bike lift up in the back. Just a quick puff of air and if too much bleed it off. Will not hurt it. I have been doing this for a year now.
    Buckskin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

That said, you do need to be a little careful putting a FOBO type system on the under seat air bag schraeder valve, cos the TPMS WILL need to have fairly wide ranging 'over & under pressure limits' set !
    Peter, just on this, one of our better known members was working with FOBO especially for Spyders, and FOBO changed the “limits” for a FOBO mounted on the airbag for exactly the reasons you mention.

Also, I use a small screw on bicycle pump, pump the bag to 5psi over what I want, unscrew the pump and the bag pressure drops around 5pdi and is exactly where I want it. The FOBO is great for the air bag as you only need to access it when the FOBO tells you to. I have not had to fill my airbag for months, but that is most probably because I only run it at 10psi now that I have the rear Wilbers shock installed.

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

From my 2017 F3T Owner's Guide:

F3T Airbag Info.jpg

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

That looks like specs for the tires?
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    From my 2017 F3T Owner's Guide:

F3T Airbag Info.jpg

Regards,

Don
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just purchased a Demo F3-Limited, picking up next week, going from a tall heavy ADV MC and scrolling through the forums. What the hell is a FOBO???

Spyder Garage

Hi Rennie,
    FOBO = ("For Our Better WOrld") FOBO Bike 2 TRIKE, Black, 3v Part # FM2441 Model # TM1802 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM.
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Why not just order from Lamonster Garage?? They have them in stock now....
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Hi Rennie,
    FOBO = ("For Our Better WOrld") FOBO Bike 2 TRIKE, Black, 3v Part # FM2441 Model # TM1802 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White