Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 80 MPH Sustained

This summer I'll be heading across South Dakota on a 6 hour trip. The speed limit on I-90 in South Dakota is 80 MPH. Assuming a typical summer day with temperatures ranging from 80F to 90F and keeping my speed at 80 MPH except for pit-stops...the Spyder (engine wise) should be just fine, right? Most of my riding experience last summer had me peak out at 70 MPH and just for a couple hours a trip. I'd appreciate any input from experienced Spyder riders. I still feel like a rookie having owned my 2017 RT Limited for just a year now.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my trip out west last summer I maintained speeds of 85-100 mph for a couple hours at a time (anytime the interstate was on my route) with no issues. This was on a 2012 RS 998.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    This summer I'll be heading across South Dakota on a 6 hour trip. The speed limit on I-90 in South Dakota is 80 MPH. Assuming a typical summer day with temperatures ranging from 80F to 90F and keeping my speed at 80 MPH except for pit-stops...the Spyder (engine wise) should be just fine, right? Most of my riding experience last summer had me peak out at 70 MPH and just for a couple hours a trip. I'd appreciate any input from experienced Spyder riders. I still feel like a rookie having owned my 2017 RT Limited for just a year now.
    Gas mileage will take a kick in the pants, but other than that, no problem.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Gas mileage will take a kick in the pants, but other than that, no problem.
    ….. and Yes the Gas mileage will suffer …. est. 33-35 …… Mike

Spyder Garage

You can ride that RT all day at those speeds. But the gas mileage will suffer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not a problem. I have done it a few times but on my RS sm5 so will not venture to say what your milage will be mine averaged 33mpg's
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. My personal comfort level is 70 MPH but my wife is an 80+ MPH gal pushing the limits whether she's driving or a passenger. Needless to say, I'll be doing 80 MPH this summer.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. My personal comfort level is 70 MPH but my wife is an 80+ MPH gal pushing the limits whether she's driving or a passenger. Needless to say, I'll be doing 80 MPH this summer.
    Listen to your wife.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Set the cruise and don't fall asleep.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Cowboy View Post
    Set the cruise and don't fall asleep.

Funny you mention that, my wife and I are newbies to motorcycle/CanAm riding and she mentioned a few times how relaxing it is and she feels herself falling asleep. That has me a little worried
    2018 RT , PEARL WHITE/CHROME

Spyder Garage

Is she riding or driving? My wife has fallen asleep on the back of our RTL several times. Never an issue as I'm big, outweigh her 2X, and she's back behind me and between armrests just as snug as a bug in a rug. She usually wakes up when I downshift.

Back to the OP's concern. I rode my '13 from Faribault, MN to Wall and back for an IBA SS1K and my mileage at 80+ was at the low end of my normal Mileage when averaged both ways.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The issue won’t be with your Spyder but more likely with you and your passenger. Keeping cool and hydrated is the thing you need to be concerned about, your Spyder will not have a problem.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Most I've done at that speed is about 4 hours in TX, 1 up. I ride a 2012 RTSE5 with the 998 engine. I have not noticed any drop in gas mileage due to higher speed, only stop-n-go traffic. I suspect this would be more of an issue with more weight (ex 2 up) and mountain riding (due to elevation changes). Take an oil refill and check it more often. You will likely burn a bit more.

Spyder Garage

If you don't want to pound the interstate you can drop down to hwy 44 or come up to hwy14 and get a more scenic route and relax at 70. Just a thought

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try it......BEFORE the trip, especially if you still have the OEM tires.

I finally got mine aligned and it moved the instability from 45 to 70, roughly.
    Now I'm looking at a new set of tires.

I'm also going to test drive a Goldwing trike tomorrow.
    I'm REALLY getting tired of fighting the engineering defects in this Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I did a 3200 mile 7 day trip down thru the Smokey Mountains and was never below 75 the entire time. The 1330 is geared to take it with the 6 speed, I would never do it with the 998 because it would cook the hell out of you.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Just to say it again, the Veskimo has been a saviour to me. The heat gets me down really badly. It's a heart thing. Block ice over cubes lasts way longer... But hard to find block ice any more... And, yes, there are many much cheaper way to stay cool.

Spyder Garage

I ride alone daily and spend about 60 miles going 60 speed limit and at times 65 when traffic is moving faster, when my wife and I travel by motorhome we trailer our spyder all over the country from Va to Ca, Florida to Maine, Az to Montana.
    And we will be leaving for another 7000 mile Motorhome trip in late May, buy the spyder will be are main ride for three months, we have 2012 RT and we have at times tested a couple tanks of gas with a set cruise of 80 thru South Dakota getting to Sturgis.
    But its funny that people talk about mpg lost at high speeds. But I found that the time travel was no faster after 250 miles at trying to maintain 80 over 70, mostly due to traffic, and yes a extra full stops on longer trips.
    I guess when I think about "traveling" by motorhome now I'm going on the slow side with the speed limit, or at times below. So when we are two up on spyder the posted speed limit is calm and stress free.
    Don't think i don't remember those "Lane Splitting day while riding with my father on his 1970 Moto Guzzi California thru the L.A. California traffic at the time. In those days he would split the lane at highway speeds, he would just tap my knee letting me know to pull them in sit still.
    But today at 58, my older brother rides a BMW 1600 GTL, while my younger brother rides his Goldwing, three nephews have bikes, Im just glad my parents didn't get killed on HWY 1 , Cabrillo Hwy.

Just hate to hear about any riders lost due to speed, thats the one thing WE CAN CONTROL.... our speed

Happy Easter Everyone
    2012 , java

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    But I found that the time travel was no faster after 250 miles at trying to maintain 80 over 70, mostly due to traffic,
    The biggest factor in causing traffic JAMS.....when there is no obstruction like an accident.....is SPEEDING.
    It results in the accordion effect.
    When the speeders catch up to traffic that they can't go around, then EVERYBODY behind them must apply the brakes too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kept in just below 80mph when I was in South Dakota. The dam cross winds in that area can be nasty at times. JMO

You dont need to do 80 but the Spyder can handle it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kamper View Post
    If you don't want to pound the interstate you can drop down to hwy 44 or come up to hwy14 and get a more scenic route and relax at 70. Just a thought
    44 through the badlands definitely won’t be 70. Very uneven road, I have a hard time driving that fast in the work van. Very scenic though.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I kept in just below 80mph when I was in South Dakota. The dam cross winds in that area can be nasty at times. JMO

You dont need to do 80 but the Spyder can handle it.
    What... crosswinds... Here? Should have been here for the blizzards...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Don't fall asleep on the bike...always ends badly. Enjoy the trip.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do yourself, your wife, your gas mileage, your eyeballs, and your psyche a favor and ride the parallel state roads such as Hwy 38. You'll lose some time but you'll more than make up for it in a more relaxed ride at a slower pace and and much better scenery to look at! And the wife won't be able to push you to ride at 80 since the speed limit will probably max out at 70!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I've dome several high-speed runs on my 2014 RT-S, and mileage definitely took a hit. If I ride more sanely, say 60 MPH on back country roads, I can squeeze 200 miles out of a tank. But at 80 MPH, I was looking for gas at about 150 miles.

Out there in the wide open west (I spent 16 years out there courtesy of Uncle Sam), you might look ahead on the maps and see how far apart gas stations might be, and adjust your speed accordingly just so you can make the next pit stop.