Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy 1330 and Gas Mileage Review

I have been called many things before but one the best was "Stat-Nazi." I have a love for data and information that can be derived from that. With that preface, I have been collection data from every fuel stop that has been made with my 2018 RTL. Trip length, total mileage, cost per gallon, gallons per fill, MPG, cost / mile, total cost. I can make all of that available if any one is truly interested. For me I see the question of how much mileage can I get per tank? What's my MPG?

In the first 5,444 miles I can answer how it was for me. I average 33.43 MPG. In theory that means 230 miles could be possible on a tank (6.9 gallons).

Now for the butt-in-seat-honesty. Longest gas station to gas station ryde 180 miles, 4.346 gallons, 41.41 MPG (85% highway ryding). A lot of 150-ish milers, 5.1 - 5.2 gallons, 30 - 31 MPG.

I rarely use highways, love the back roads and love to ride pretty hard.

Does this mileage fit your experience? What is the furthest that you have ridden on a single tank? Is that tank 7.1G + a 0.5G reserve? (Not that I am pushing it).

Just thought I'd share before I start my treks across this great country via the secondary highways .... before the Eisenhower Interstate System (you know the blue and red signs you're all familiar with )
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I got 40 riding by myself at 68 mph

Spyder Garage

Good info -- thanks for sharing.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

One interesting stat published by BRP was that you’ll get 50 more miles out of a tank if you travel at 63mph compared to 75mph.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Wow..!! lots of stats and good information. I just check each time at the pump to see how it's going. Low 25 mpg (in town heavy traffic) and highest 40 mpg ( mountain roads cool weather) so as long as I am somewhere inbetween I'm good.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 1330 RT …. 42,000 mi 37.1 mpg ….. and I ride Briskly ...…………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Peteoz,

I would believe that 100%. My high-speed cruises are definite gas hogs - I find myself watching the gas gauge as much as the road after a while.

And - thanks to everyone that has answered. It is interesting to hear what others are experiencing.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tested this recently on a 200 mile run. I wanted to make sure that I could get 200 miles out of a tank. We were on highways only cruse control most of the way set at 67 mph. Stopped for gas at 200 miles had two bars left on the 16 F3L. Right ay 40 MPG. My wife on the RTL 2019 had to stop for gas at 180 miles. BTW this was a great usage of the ECO mode, the only time I used it.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

The Affect of SPEED VS GAS MILEAGE ON 1330 RT

Based on others reports and over 100,000 miles on the 1330 platform (14 RTS, 15 RT, 16 F3T) the comment of the RT acting like a barndoor as far as wind resitance is well founded.

We have many trips on US 50 east of here to visit relatives in Kansas and other than occasional small towns we can set the cruise at 65-67 and forget it.

When into a headwind we get less mileage per gallon, but can count on 200 miles per tank with favorable conditions, and the wifes F3T always uses a tenth of a gallon less when we fuel in Lamar or wherever. I run with the windshield almost down, and the terrain is quite flat, with altitude at Pueblo at 5000 ft and Western KS 3000 to 2500 ft at the end or our 300 mile run each way. YMMVDSCN2821.jpg My RPM and speed is now correct within 1 mph to GPS speed using the taller Altimax RT43 tire.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

With my 2014 RTL and her 2015 RTL we usually hover around 38 - 40 mpg we set cruise control at 60 and take as many back roads as possible . We are leaving in 5 weeks for a Coast to Coast to Coast trip that will be around 10,000 miles and take about 2 1/2 - 3 months. I am planing on recording all fuel and expenses just for the sake of documentation for future reference and a travel journal. I know from past experience that anything over 65 really effects our mileage as we both pull trailers.
    Glacier Park Ride 096.jpg IMG_2038.jpg Shoe tree Alturas.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I hope you share some of your travel experiences and pics.. Good Luck and Safe Travels!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Tested this recently on a 200 mile run. I wanted to make sure that I could get 200 miles out of a tank. We were on highways only cruse control most of the way set at 67 mph. Stopped for gas at 200 miles had two bars left on the 16 F3L. Right ay 40 MPG. My wife on the RTL 2019 had to stop for gas at 180 miles. BTW this was a great usage of the ECO mode, the only time I used it.
    I actually forgot there was "ECO Mode." Isn't that just the button the make the annoying warning banners go away . In reviewing the most gas used or should I say re-filled, has been about 5.2G. That would mean there is more miles in the tank. But then again 5.2G has meant 180 miles or 150 miles .... that's quite a difference.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The Affect of SPEED VS GAS MILEAGE ON 1330 RT

Based on others reports and over 100,000 miles on the 1330 platform (14 RTS, 15 RT, 16 F3T) the comment of the RT acting like a barndoor as far as wind resitance is well founded.

We have many trips on US 50 east of here to visit relatives in Kansas and other than occasional small towns we can set the cruise at 65-67 and forget it.

When into a headwind we get less mileage per gallon, but can count on 200 miles per tank with favorable conditions, and the wifes F3T always uses a tenth of a gallon less when we fuel in Lamar or wherever. I run with the windshield almost down, and the terrain is quite flat, with altitude at Pueblo at 5000 ft and Western KS 3000 to 2500 ft at the end or our 300 mile run each way. YMMVDSCN2821.jpg My RPM and speed is now correct within 1 mph to GPS speed using the taller Altimax RT43 tire.
    Aero on this beast is really a study in drag. Into the wind you can feel the drag and seemingly see the fuel gauge go down. Wind at your back ... feels like the rear cases and windscreen act as sail to provide trust. As a side note - I actually live off of US 50 - near the eastern end. My son lives off of US50 about 1100 miles away - nearer to KC. I will be riding 50 out to MO later this summer.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Spyder Garage

Pale Spyder, Rt 30, 40, 50 are all on my bucket list and we enjoy those "blue highways". Here in the west the wind and air resistance govern our fuel economy. Growing up in the Allegheny's it was more about starts and stops, and how fast you liked to leave the stoplight- if traffic allowed. Oh, and it was uphill, both ways..

Spyder Garage

I like the big fuel tank, but gas mileage is not even on my radar when I am looking at new bikes.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere that the first CanAm Spyder RT was out of gas at 100 miles. Just don't know what the tank size was though. And that was only a 2 cylinder engine. I have ridden hard, watched that gas tank light thingy fire up and kept on going. Next stop 7.0 gallons. I think that tenth was the filler tube. And the packing of course. Not to worry, I carry a spare gallon in the frunk in a spun aluminum gas tank. Still, when the light comes on I think you've got about 40 miles. That was my result but to be fair, I slowed from 75 to 60 when the light lit. Be a good thing for someone to test and tell.... (just a note, one trip on my BMW K1200LT, I completely ran out of gas with engine stoppage as I rolled into my garage. And that was when I bought the spare fuel cell)

Spyder Garage

I never owned a bike with a fuel gauge or low fuel light before I bought the Spyder. I always used the trip odometer to determine when it was time to get fuel. I will probably keep right on doing that. When the full tank gets about 200 miles on it I will be looking for fuel. Plenty of reserve left and 200 miles is a respectable distance to go without stopping.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have only put gas in mine a couple of times and here is why I think it is still suspect. Yesterdays ride I topped the tank off before, pulling the nozzle out and giving it small squirts until the gas starts to bubble up around the nozzle. My miles left said 204 after that fill up. Later in the day when I filled up again I used the same technique but I could keep blippin gas into it many times as the fuel kept going in. Both times you could see the fuel level very close to the top of the hole. My miles left said 245 this time. How do you know you are accurately refueling the tank when you possibly could be off by a half a gallon on a 5 gallon sampling off data?

Spyder Garage

My older vehicles never had this, but now that I've been introduced to the computerized gas calculations, I must say I'm absolutely underwhelmed. They lie to you. Most by at least 1/2 MPG (U.S.). Some substantially higher. One Honda car was over 2 MPG optimistic versus hand calculated. The second aspect is the remaining miles in the tank. It must be either a static figure per fill, or slightly more accurate an estimate made from your previous average(s). Either one is a poor estimate as the gas gauge isn't the most accurate measurement on any vehicle. I'm old and crotchety, so I still use the trip odometer to gauge my distance. Gallons x absolute worst gas mileage you've ever got= range you can always go and never having to walk.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'm just saying with a small tank the spyder has and the way you cannot tell if you topped it off correctly how can you be sure on the mileage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus Aranea View Post
    I have been called many things before but one the best was "Stat-Nazi." I have a love for data and information that can be derived from that. With that preface, I have been collection data from every fuel stop that has been made with my 2018 RTL. Trip length, total mileage, cost per gallon, gallons per fill, MPG, cost / mile, total cost. I can make all of that available if any one is truly interested. For me I see the question of how much mileage can I get per tank? What's my MPG?

In the first 5,444 miles I can answer how it was for me. I average 33.43 MPG. In theory that means 230 miles could be possible on a tank (6.9 gallons).

Now for the butt-in-seat-honesty. Longest gas station to gas station ryde 180 miles, 4.346 gallons, 41.41 MPG (85% highway ryding). A lot of 150-ish milers, 5.1 - 5.2 gallons, 30 - 31 MPG.

I rarely use highways, love the back roads and love to ride pretty hard.

Does this mileage fit your experience? What is the furthest that you have ridden on a single tank? Is that tank 7.1G + a 0.5G reserve? (Not that I am pushing it).

Just thought I'd share before I start my treks across this great country via the secondary highways .... before the Eisenhower Interstate System (you know the blue and red signs you're all familiar with )
    I can usually get around 250 miles/tank on my '16 F3L when we are traveling on highways with limited stop and go stuff. I have the 7g tank and my hubby rides a '17 HD S treet Glide Special with a 6g tank. we travel just about the same distance on a tank when we are on a trip. I will say that when we are on US highways with limits around 50-60 mph I can go further.. not much but a little before my low fuel light comes on. We rode down to Key West last spring and while going through the Carolinas on 95 we pushed the speeds up to 80-85 mph for a while. We both noticed that our gas gauges started to drop like stones!! so we slowed down (for a while )
    2018 F3 L Red Pearl
    Heated Ultimate Seat
    Sway bar, Fog lights, F4 long floorboards,
    F4 windscreen hand wings and leg wings,
    Garmin GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    I'm just saying with a small tank the spyder has and the way you cannot tell if you topped it off correctly how can you be sure on the mileage.
    " Topping off correctly " on my 2014 RT, if the gas is AT the LIP ….it's full …...that's when I stop pumping …...Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus Aranea View Post
    You want numbers? Check out this thread from 2017. It's 26,000 miles of real numbers about mileage. As far as distance between fillups, bladder capacity, butt tolerance, and stomach growls, are the primary controlling factors!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ium-vs-Regular

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

For anything than the sixth gear (which act as overdrive) I like to drive my F3S between 2000 to 3500rpm and shift above that.

But lately I get the feeling mpg gets better keeping it above 3000-4000rpm...

Could this be right? Or is it just my imagination?

Average mpg is at 34.85mpg.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin