Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Rykers Require 87 Octane - Not 92!

There seems to be some confusion about which octane is really needed for the Ryker (maybe it is just ME that is confused).

Ryker Manual page 37 states:

"Use regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of 87, or a RON octane rating of 92. The USA uses the (RON+MON)/2 number whilst Europe (and others) use the RON rating. This means a Ryker will run perfectly fine on 87 all day long.

All higher octane/way more expensive fuel will do, is reduce or eliminate any "pinging" during hard acceleration. Nothing more. It will NOT increase MPG, no will it give you more HP. Plus, unnecessary higher octane pollutes more.

Literally EVERY Ryker owner who has never tried 87, should! They very well could be pleasantly surprised!

In the Manual, where it says "For optimal performance use.... 91 octane", they are only talking about possible engine pinging.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    In the Manual, where it says "For optimal performance use.... 91 octane", they are only talking about possible engine pinging.
    Well, technically yes but in reality, using the higher octane allows the ECM to use a different timing map (more advancement) without detonation. Which will in fact give better performance by accessing all available power the engine has at any given load....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Well, technically yes but in reality, using the higher octane allows the ECM to use a different timing map (more advancement) without detonation. Which will in fact give better performance by accessing all available power the engine has at any given load....
    This is true, but how much performance does that mean ???? ….. I have never seen any Dyno numbers for any Spyder engine , stock or modified.... Any other measurement of performance is pure speculation and will vary Hughly …. depending on who's driving, type of surface, weather conditions etc. etc. ….. for my 2014 RT paying .50 to .60 cents more per Gal ( in Vt. ) … for less than 1% improvement ( a guess ) just isn't worth it to me …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Some years ago there were several studies on using higher octane. Not being sure what I was reading I was using 91, until I realized it only required 87 on re-reading the manual. The studies basically said using higher octane than required was a waste of money. The Ryker manual is poorly written and vague about several things. I am frugal but not cheap, spending more on gas than I need to is just a waste of money for myself.
    And of course each person can make there own decision on what to use. On one trip I got got exceptional mpg, but it was a warm day and I was at a t study 40 mph. I think weather and humidity and winter vs summer gas has a big impact on mpg and not octane. When someone says "optimal" without explaining what it means I tend to ignore it.

Spyder Garage

You left out one vary important one. Is the wind to your back or in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    Some years ago there were several studies on using higher octane. Not being sure what I was reading I was using 91, until I realized it only required 87 on re-reading the manual. The studies basically said using higher octane than required was a waste of money. The Ryker manual is poorly written and vague about several things. I am frugal but not cheap, spending more on gas than I need to is just a waste of money for myself.
    And of course each person can make there own decision on what to use. On one trip I got got exceptional mpg, but it was a warm day and I was at a t study 40 mph. I think weather and humidity and winter vs summer gas has a big impact on mpg and not octane. When someone says "optimal" without explaining what it means I tend to ignore it.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

MAINLY the ECM adjusts the spark plug timing accordingly. This does not affect HP or MPG. The BTUs/lb. of fuel is identical, all grade of gasoline. The spark plug timing also is adjusted according for varying elevations (& other conditions).

When I went from PREMIUM (required!) to REGULAR in my Slingshot, I experienced NO decrease in MPG whatsoever, and no noticeable power decrease.

The bottom line is, if you don't have significant pinging under HARD acceleration with 87 octane, even HP will have zero increase going higher octane.

BTW: We had an '81 Ford Fairmont 4 cylinder. It called for regular gas. It (back in the uncertain oil supply & sporadic oil shortage days) had some "lean burn" system to squeeze miles out of every drop of fuel. Under HARD acceleration, it pinged horrifically! Even light acceleration it had moderate pinging, and even at steady speed (no acceleration) is still had some. We put 60,000 miles on said car, no engine problems.

For those that think light ping on acceleration is going to "ruin" an engine is being hyperbolic.

Spyder Garage

Default All in all...

What it boils down to is.... you can use 87 and better. There was a time they recommended only high octane and even then folks ran on the lower grade and there were no issues. There will be slight difference as you can see stated above but unless your driving some gas guzzeling SUV the difference in price for running a better fuel is not much....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What it boils down to is.... you can use 87 and better. There was a time they recommended only high octane and even then folks ran on the lower grade and there were no issues. There will be slight difference as you can see stated above but unless your driving some gas guzzeling SUV the difference in price for running a better fuel is not much....
    True, but..... it still it true that "a penny saved is a penny earned" (like my grandmother who survived the Great Depression always said ). Especially when for all practical and all likely purposes, spending more makes literally no difference.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    How is higher octane "better"?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

That's only If they have a knock sensor. Did the 2013, 998's have knock sensors ? Do the 1330's have knock sensors ?

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Does it really? What is the knock sensor Part number?
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Does it really? What is the knock sensor Part number?
    420664031 which is for my Spyder and a few others (2016 F3 2017 F3 2018 F3 S SM6 SE6 2018 F3 SE6 2018 F3 SE6 2018 F3 T SE6 2015 ) your part number may vary and you can always look it up online at places like CheapCycle Parts etc. They actually call it a "noise sensor".... That enough info for ya?

Chuck

Spyder Garage

hypurone: Great info. Thanks. Tells me you shouldn't get any knocking from 87 octane.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

I say that running a higher octane than recommended is a waste of money is pure and simple BS. My wifes new VW Tiguan R-Line calls for 87 octane, but the performance and fuel economy advantages can clearly be seen and felt when using 91 octane. I'm sure the Ryker will be the same way. Mine will have premium all the time.

Spyder Garage

I will repeat what I have posted in a couple other threads.

I quit using premium in all my Spyders a couple years back. Alaska gas contains no ethanol. I use 87 octane. I have noticed no difference in performance or mileage. IMO, the computer learns the new gas and the Spyder runs accordingly.

My car (Subaru 2017 Outback) and Vulcan 900 MC also run on the 87. I am also saving 20 cents per gallon in the process. In summer, I would have a $300 per month gasoline bill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is true, but how much performance does that mean ????
    the million dollar question that may never be answered in the Spyder/Ryker arena....

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I will repeat what I have posted in a couple other threads.

I quit using premium in all my Spyders a couple years back. Alaska gas contains no ethanol. I use 87 octane. I have noticed no difference in performance or mileage. IMO, the computer learns the new gas and the Spyder runs accordingly.

My car (Subaru 2017 Outback) and Vulcan 900 MC also run on the 87. I am also saving 20 cents per gallon in the process. In summer, I would have a $300 per month gasoline bill.
    And what a lot of folks forget is that not everyone has "non-ethanol" fuel available to them. Octane plays an even larger role in the ethanol arena. I had my 2010 Camaro with a CR of 10.7:1 dyno'ed on both regular and premium before adding the supercharger. The folks at the dealer were "doing me a favor" and filled the tank with regular when I bought it! Yikes! The car is designed to run on anything between 87 & 91... There was a 2% difference in HP output between the 2 octanes....

I had the same car dyon'ed after adding a Supercharger with pure gas a friend brought from out of state and with the ethanol crap we have here. The difference in power (due to timing being pulled when on ethanol gas) was 8%!

Now the Spyder or Ryker engines won't have that high of a return but there will most certainly be a difference. If the ECM is pulling timing to "safely run & avoid detonation" there is power reduction. Most folks just aren't sensitive enough to feel it or never run the engine like some of hooligans do....

The wife's 2008 Camry Hybrid runs very subdued on regular. With a simple bump to "Plus" which is 89 here, it runs like a demon and the mileage is 1mpg better...

Chuck

Spyder Garage

The wife's 2008 Camry Hybrid runs very subdued on regular. With a simple bump to "Plus" which is 89 here, it runs like a demon and the mileage is 1mpg better...
    A one (1) tankful comparison is far from accurate. There are many variables, such as temperature, humidity, road conditions, prevailing winds, source of fuel, etc., etc. You would have to do at least 20 tankful of each type & do an average.

But YES! Ethanol contains more energy that pure gasoline. But the difference in price still make it cheaper per mile to use ethanol.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

But YES! Ethanol contains more energy that pure gasoline. But the difference in price still make it cheaper per mile to use ethanol.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????

From this page: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_fuel_basics.html

Ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, to varying degrees, depending on the volume percentage of ethanol in the blend. Denatured ethanol (98% ethanol) contains about 30% less energy than gasoline per gallon. Ethanol’s impact on fuel economy is dependent on the ethanol content in the fuel and whether an engine is optimized to run on gasoline or ethanol.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ??????????????????????????????????????????

From this page: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_fuel_basics.html
    WHAT specifically are you confused about???????????????????????????????????????

Spyder Garage

A one (1) tankful comparison is far from accurate. There are many variables, such as temperature, humidity, road conditions, prevailing winds, source of fuel, etc., etc. You would have to do at least 20 tankful of each type & do an average.

I did over 50 fill-ups on my trip to California and back for the data I present. Mostly highway miles with cruise control set.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the Ethanol to Gasoline comparison (which is pretty typical of what you'll find from other sources).

Wikipedia
    "1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline. A flex-fuel vehicle will experience about 76% of the fuel mileage MPG when using E85 (85% ethanol) products as compared to 100% gasoline. ... Pure ethanol provides 2/3 of the heat value available in pure gasoline."

And ethanol is definitely NOT cheaper than gasoline. It costs a fair amount more to produce 1 gallon of ethanol than it does to produce 1 gallon of gasoline. The difference in price comes from your tax dollars subsidizing ethanol so that it APPEARS less expensive because the price at the pump is less. But the total price being paid is higher (part of the total cost being hidden because it's being removed from another pocket).

Then you have the billions of dollars of damage done to vehicle components because of ethanol, the short storage time, ethanol's affinity for water, etc., none of it good. So, we are using a more expensive, yet inferior product.

We are told that ethanol pollutes less than gasoline. And that is true if you just look at the tail pipe pollution produced by both. But when you take into consideration the entire process of planting, fertilizing, processing and transporting ethanol, it is not clear at all that there is an overall pollution advantage.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-17-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I did over 50 fill-ups on my trip to California and back for the data I present. Mostly highway miles with cruise control set.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the Ethanol to Gasoline comparison (which is pretty typical of what you'll find from other sources).

Wikipedia
    "1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline. A flex-fuel vehicle will experience about 76% of the fuel mileage MPG when using E85 (85% ethanol) products as compared to 100% gasoline. ... Pure ethanol provides 2/3 of the heat value available in pure gasoline."

And ethanol is definitely NOT cheaper than gasoline. It costs a fair amount more to produce 1 gallon of ethanol than it does to produce 1 gallon of gasoline. The difference in price comes from your tax dollars subsidizing ethanol so that it APPEARS less expensive because the price at the pump is less. But the total price being paid is higher (part of the total cost being hidden because it's being removed from another pocket).

Then you have the billions of dollars of damage done to vehicle components because of ethanol, the short storage time, ethanol's affinity for water, etc., none of it good. So, we are using a more expensive, yet inferior product.

We are told that ethanol pollutes less than gasoline. And that is true if you just look at the tail pipe pollution produced by both. But when you take into consideration the entire process of planting, fertilizing, processing and transporting ethanol, it is not clear at all that there is an overall pollution advantage.

110%

Spyder Garage

The BP's around here sell non ethanol Premium 91 octane, I run that in My Yamaha Stratoliner as well as the VW. Most gas stations in Kansas have a non ethanol option for a little more money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    The BP's around here sell non ethanol Premium 91 octane, I run that in My Yamaha Stratoliner as well as the VW. Most gas stations in Kansas have a non ethanol option for a little more money.
    Here in FL, it is almost always always massively higher in price. The slight increase in MPG of non-ethanol, is simply not worth the added expense.

Spyder Garage

The fuel issue, like many others, will rage on regardless of how many opinions are posted. But I will say there can be a good deal of difference between 'Required' and 'Optimal'.

When I graduated high school a 'C' was required. But an 'A' was definitely optimal. That was a long time ago. Things may have changed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...