Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not your usual tire thread

After becoming totally frustrated when trying to find a shop that will mount different tires on my Spyder......and finding only one relatively close at 90 miles away.........

I filed this today on FTC.GOV:

I own a 2017 model Can-Am Spyder; 3 wheeled motorcycle. I want to put a different brand of tires on it in an attempt to solve an instability problem. Most of the dealers I contact about this WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN MOUNTING ANY TIRES BUT WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SPECIFIES (one brand which I suspect they get a kickback from). This is like telling my exactly what brand and model of tire I must put on my......car, truck, RV, etc. Just as a point of clarification, the RIMS are car tire rims. The Kenda brand OEM tires are just very light duty CAR TIRES. I believe that this violates the spirit if not the letter of the Moss Maguson law. Because of the unique design of this machine, no other car or motorcycle shop will touch it......so BRP is in effect FORCING me to buy their tires.

While I seriously doubt that anything will come of it, I think it's worth a shot.

ANYONE ELSE WILLING TO JOIN IN THE FIGHT ??
    Feel free, just please do NOT cut and paste my words above.
    That is a sure way for them to put it right in the trash can.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can get the front tires mounted at any tire shop. Some can balance them. To do the rear you need to pull the rear wheel or find a local shop or person to pull the wheel for you. Then take it to a car tire shop to mount the tire of your choice. Many people do this because of the dealers. Seeing your location in Florida, I think Central Florida Powersports does tires other than Kendas.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You can get the front tires mounted at any tire shop. Some can balance them. To do the rear you need to pull the rear wheel or find a local shop or person to pull the wheel for you. Then take it to a car tire shop to mount the tire of your choice. Many people do this because of the dealers. Seeing your location in Florida, I think Central Florida Powersports does tires other than Kendas.
    Yes.....I KNOW ALL OF THAT. But I shouldn't have to do all that screwing around. My Spyder dealer should take care of me.

Thank you for the dealer suggestion. For some reason, that one didn't come up on the web site search......even though it is a bit closer than some others that DID.

And now for the big news: Just on a lark, I called my local Ride Now shop.....and I about dropped my teeth when they said they WOULD mount tires that I carry in......at a substantial price no doubt. At this point, I really don't care about the cost; I just want it DONE so I can be comfortable riding my machine.

I think I will hold my nose and take it to Ride Now......after I pay them an in person visit to verify that they really WILL do the work.
    I wasn't relishing the idea of wasting pretty much a whole day and riding almost 200 miles just for tires.