Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried these Vredestein Front Tires?

Has anyone heard or tried these on the front of their Spyder? I currently have the stock tires that came with the bike (2014 RTL), and currently have 33,000 miles, which is excellent for the stock tires, but they are showing some wear, and was looking for something new and different. I currently run the Kuhmo Est on back with excellent results, and have seen many threads about using the Kuhmo Solus on front, but according to reviews on Tirerack.com, they have poor to average reviews.
    On that site, this one shows excellent reviews all around, but never heard of them, and the reviews are from car owners.

BEST SELLER
    Vredestein Quatrac 5
    FREE SHIPPING
    (284)
    | Reviews (258)
    Consumer RecommendedTire Rack Tested
    Compare
    VREDESTEIN
    QUATRAC 5
    Grand Touring All-Season
    Size: 155/60R15 74T
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Federal Tires are really good tires too for the Spyder and have been running them now for a few years.

I also have the Kuhmo EST all weather on the rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Has anyone heard or tried these on the front of their Spyder? I currently have the stock tires that came with the bike (2014 RTL), and currently have 33,000 miles, which is excellent for the stock tires, but they are showing some wear, and was looking for something new and different. I currently run the Kuhmo Est on back with excellent results, and have seen many threads about using the Kuhmo Solus on front, but according to reviews on Tirerack.com, they have poor to average reviews.
    On that site, this one shows excellent reviews all around, but never heard of them, and the reviews are from car owners.

BEST SELLER
    Vredestein Quatrac 5
    FREE SHIPPING
    (284)
    | Reviews (258)
    Compare
    VREDESTEIN
    QUATRAC 5
    Grand Touring All-Season
    Blue Knight 911 says they are the best ones out there right now,
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BEST SELLER
    Vredestein Quatrac 5
    FREE SHIPPING
    (284)
    | Reviews (258)
    Compare
    VREDESTEIN
    QUATRAC 5
    Grand Touring All-Season
    I have been talking about the Vredestein Quatrac 5, for about 6 mos. - ON THIS SITE !!!! ….. If you have me on your Ignore list well ---- Mike

Spyder Garage

Blueknight mentioned Vredestein Quatrac 5 in a thread after a Private message with him I decided to give them a try. All I can say is I don't have a lot of mile on them but the miles I do have them have been night and day difference in the handling and cornering and I wish I had changed to them a long time ago.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

I ran the Kumho Solus on the front of our 2014 RT , and they were much better than the stock tires. I am running the Quatrack 5's on my F3 and they are so much better than the Kumho's that I will be adding one to the rear.
    Go with the Quatrack 5's you will be amazed, but go with the 175/55R15 size
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I ran the Kumho Solus on the front of our 2014 RT , and they were much better than the stock tires. I am running the Quatrack 5's on my F3 and they are so much better than the Kumho's that I will be adding one to the rear.
    ... that's a very good size for the Front ….. they also have a 205/60 & a 215/65 ( for RT not F-3 ) for the Rear ……. annnnnnnnnnd for those who have 14inch front wheels they have excellent sizes there also ……………… Dis -claimer, I have NO pecuniary interest in Vredestein tire co..... my sol interest is providing info on what I believe to be the best Spyder tires made ( currently )...… Just for the heck of it Google Vredestein tie co. ….. their history is interesting reading - they have been around for a Very long time ……. Mike ….. PS, I've said this dozens of times, 15psi front and 17-18 for the rear. These pressures will provide the best all-around ride wet, dry and pure comfort level. …….

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    So why would you go with a different size on the front, than stock? Don't want sticking out further, or taller than stock size, for clearance purposes.

Found a place online called Vulcan Tire, that will sell me two of them, with shipping for $159.

Spyder Garage

So why would you go with a different size on the front, than stock? Don't want sticking out further, or taller than stock size, for clearance purposes.

Found a place online called Vulcan Tire, that will sell me two of them, with shipping for $159.
    No clearance issues with the 175 on either my RT, or my F3. I ran the 155 size on the RT, and then I tried the 175 size. It was amazing how much better the RT handled with the 175's installed. So when it came time to replace the front tires on the F3 I just went with the 175 size.
    Dropping down to the 155 (from the OEM 165) will still out perform the OEM tires, and you will be happy you did this.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a set of Continental Pro Contacts to put on when needed. Anyone heard how these are.

Spyder Garage

Vredestein on all 3 wheels. Have 1500 miles on them. Awesome is an understatement! All on dry pavement. But ratings put them at the top in wet pavement. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    I have a set of Continental Pro Contacts to put on when needed. Anyone heard how these are.
    They are better than the Kenda's, but they aren't rated high in the following Wet=7... Dry=7.7 .. Comfort=7.2 … Wear=5.9 ….. vs The Quatrac5 … W=9.0 … D=9.3 … C=8.9 … W=8.8 …. so for about the same money spent what makes more sense ???? …….. to me it's a no brainer ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    I am running the Continental Pro Contacts on the front. Size: 165/60 R15. They were installed on 6/24/2016 at 12,807 miles. I haven't had any problems with the tires.

The Continental Pro Contacts tires pushes the water away,good road contact. The space between the fender and the tire does not much clearance, about a finger width. Here is a picture of mine: New Front Tires ( Continental) 010.jpg & New Front Tires ( Continental) 013.jpg.

Also here are other photos: New Front Tires ( Continental) 008.jpg,

New Front Tires ( Continental) 014.jpg.
    Ratings are:

Wet 7.0 good * 7.0 Hydroplaning Wet traction 7.1*

Dry 7.7 good

** Cornering 7.5
    Dry Traction 8.0
    Steering response 7.7**

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

How many miles do you think I have left, or should I go ahead and change? Stock tires on 2014 RTL, and 33,000
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

How many miles do you think I have left, or should I go ahead and change? Stock tires on 2014 RTL, and 33,000
    This is practically impossible to estimate …. I don't think those pics are of minimum wear bars ….. there are usually two different depths ….. you could get 10,000 mi more ??? it's really hard to estimate ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Those bars shown in the pic above ARE NOT THE TREAD WEAR BARS!! The wear bars won't have the lines on top of them like those do, and they will be identified by a small embossed triangle on the edge of the tread alongside them. Wear bars will be in a staggered line across each deep tread groove in the face of the tread between the embossed triangles on the top of the sidewalls alongside the tread area.

Those bars you have pictured SteveandBelinda, are about 2 mm or so higher than the tread wear bars; and they (the pictured bars) are intended to help stabilise the tread blocks on either side of the large channels/grooves and to force out any water or snow/ice etc collecting in those deep grooves as the tire rotates. Please note, if the bar you are looking at (as shown in the pic) has or did once have those embossed lines across its top face and you can't find the embossed triangle on the edge of the tread area/top of the sidewall alongside, then it's NOT a tread wear bar! Regardless, personally I'd be replacing those Kendas anyway, despite them not being worn to the tread wear indicators yet. Do that, and I have little doubts that you'll be surprised at how much better your Spyder can feel once it's got a good set of tires fitted!

While I'm here, while many makes of tires use those embossed triangles to denote the tread wear bars, there are almost as many other makes that will have different indicators; some even have raised lettering embossed on the edge of the tread saying 'TREAD WEAR INDICATOR'; or maybe there'll be a label cut into one of the thick raised sections of tread running around the entire circumference of the tread that says 'TREAD WEAR INDICATOR' whilever the tread has sufficient depth, but that label changes to something like 'REPLACE TIRE NOW' once the tread gets worn down to the recommended replacement depth. For the Kenda tires on our Spyders, the labelling for tread wear indicators just happens to be that small embossed triangle on each side of the tread alongside the staggered tread wear blocks filling the deep grooves in the tread across the face of the tire... but it's not those bars you have pictured.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Great info, guys. I really appreciate it. Going to garage to check again.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

yep, looks like I could go for quite a few more miles. These are the wear bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If you're happy, keep riding with the OEMs. If you want to be happier, replace them. (See post #5.) ..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Steve although I am NO fan of Kenda tires ( for many reasons ) for front tires they can provide a decent ride …. not great just decent …. I would just use them until they are worn out …. then look at the Quatrac 5 tire ……. Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Those bars shown in the pic above ARE NOT THE TREAD WEAR BARS!! The wear bars won't have the lines on top of them like those do, and they will be identified by a small embossed triangle on the edge of the tread alongside them. Wear bars will be in a staggered line across each deep tread groove in the face of the tread between the embossed triangles on the top of the sidewalls alongside the tread area.

Those bars you have pictured SteveandBelinda, are about 2 mm or so higher than the tread wear bars; and they (the pictured bars) are intended to help stabilise the tread blocks on either side of the large channels/grooves and to force out any water or snow/ice etc collecting in those deep grooves as the tire rotates. Please note, if the bar you are looking at (as shown in the pic) has or did once have those embossed lines across its top face and you can't find the embossed triangle on the edge of the tread area/top of the sidewall alongside, then it's NOT a tread wear bar! Regardless, personally I'd be replacing those Kendas anyway, despite them not being worn to the tread wear indicators yet. Do that, and I have little doubts that you'll be surprised at how much better your Spyder can feel once it's got a good set of tires fitted!

While I'm here, while many makes of tires use those embossed triangles to denote the tread wear bars, there are almost as many other makes that will have different indicators; some even have raised lettering embossed on the edge of the tread saying 'TREAD WEAR INDICATOR'; or maybe there'll be a label cut into one of the thick raised sections of tread running around the entire circumference of the tread that says 'TREAD WEAR INDICATOR' whilever the tread has sufficient depth, but that label changes to something like 'REPLACE TIRE NOW' once the tread gets worn down to the recommended replacement depth. For the Kenda tires on our Spyders, the labelling for tread wear indicators just happens to be that small embossed triangle on each side of the tread alongside the staggered tread wear blocks filling the deep grooves in the tread across the face of the tire... but it's not those bars you have pictured.
    The General Altimax has the words ‘Replacement Tire Monitor’ written three times around the center of the tire. When the tire is worn it changes to ‘Replace Tire’. Can’t get much easier than that!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have been talking about the Vredestein Quatrac 5, for about 6 mos. - ON THIS SITE !!!! ….. If you have me on your Ignore list well ---- Mike
    Nope, not on ignore list.

Spyder Garage

Just ordered those. Going to give them a try.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dcirvin View Post
    Just ordered those. Going to give them a try.
    In what size, and what bike? I was curious about it affecting laser alignment done several years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In what size, and what bike? I was curious about it affecting laser alignment done several years ago.
    The alignment of the front wheels will NOT change with different tires.

The rear, however, might change, as in probably will, and I would have it checked if the rear is replaced.