Spyder Garage

Default Interest in a Hand Brake kit for RS,GS,ST?.Looking at designing a semi done kit

Hi All..I added a hand brake to my 2008 RS (project posted) and am looking at alternate designs. I think I have come upwith quite an effective and simple design using only a few easily made parts and an off the shelf Master cylinder (or scrapbikes) and an easy to get slave cylinder.
    Other parts would be a simple Amazon purchases.

I have ordered a suitable clutch cylinder that will allow easy bleeding (bleed screw would be UP)
    I can do the design easy enough but would like to guage interest in this project as a "semi kit" With custom parts supplied(including a master cylinder spacer to clear the handle bar boss) but you supply the master cylinder, Clutch cylinder (specified of course off the shelf Dorman part), Brake hydraulic line (I could specify a length and from Amazon)

I am trying to guage interest here in a project like this before I go too far. I will look at doing a prototype (very minimal bike changes, only 2 bolts and a clevis pin), will use existing bolt point at foot control casting and one bolt up to the frame at the back of the frame.

Show of hands?. Pricing a "couple hundred" approx
    Cheers
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I just did the ISCI a month ago, or would be all over this. Great idea, and am sure you will get allot of takers.

Spyder Garage

Thanks- My brans wirring- I have a super nice design so far that should be dead easy!

Spyder Garage

Would be interested... 50 year habits are hard to break... still find my brain reaching for the hand brake sometimes Don't want to spend a mint on it though... like the vended option from ISCI. Wish BRP would realize they would make a lot of people transitioning from 2 wheels happier with a hand brake... or those riding both... and it wouldn't make the learning curve any harder for those new to riding. Plus, would be a safety plus as you can cover the hand brake easier for quick stops without bugging the nanny.

Spyder Garage

I would be interested as long as I don't have to take a second mortgage on my house...LOL...
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

I'd buy one Mike

Spyder Garage

no thats the point but i cant do them for RT as i dont have one to fit ... this would be RS GS and maybe ST if the brake locations the same

Spyder Garage

I would be a buyer.

OOPS. Now I see they are not for an RT so scratch me off the list.
    Platinum Silver Satin 2014 RTL, Driver Backrest. Baha Ron Bar, Elka Shocks, Hiway pegs, Lighted Bump Skid, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Wide Vu Mirrors, Third Tail/Brake light, Missing Belt Guard, Federal Formoza front and General Altimax rear tires, Squared Away, Mirror turn signals, Vibration Damper, Magnetic Mirrors, Matching RT622 Trailer.....Semper Fi....

.]

Spyder Garage

Default looking like.....

Looks like it is time to do some R&D.... get some prices and take some names cause I am sure you will get more bites than you already have from the hint of coming up with one....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

I'm interested. I have a 2013 ST.
    I have to go home tonight and inspect the right grip area for placement of a master cylinder and lever
    David C.
    David C
    2013 ST-S Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I’ll get one. I know a lot of disabled veterans who would be on a Spyder in a flash if they could ride one. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT and am interested.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

I'm strongly looking at the ISCI kit. A less pricey kit would be very interesting, but I suspect I can't bear the wait. 40+ years on 2 wheels and I believe my rote memory on emergency avoidance may result in a less than optimum outcome in the absence of the front brake handle. My hand is faster than my foot. Milliseconds count. As an aside, I think I read that the Spyder doesn't have a handbrake because in some countries it is considered a car (or something other than a bike) and the handbrake addition would edge it over to the bike classification making it more expensive to own.
    Last edited by h0gr1der; 04-15-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'm interested for my '08 GS
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver

Spyder Garage

Im working on it guys! I have a very simple arrangement! im waiting for a new cylinder to come from Amazon! Its a smaller one.. Cheers Dave

Spyder Garage

Dave, As I mentioned earlier, I have one of the ISCI's --- and I love it. The one thing I always second guess on though is the travel of the lever, it seems to come back pretty far towards the grip. It is rock solid, so not a bleeding issue, but I always take a second look to make sure it is not traveling to the grip and will stop working. It doesn't, years of biking though......

I bring this up only because a smaller master, assuming (big if) if flows a smaller volume, might only make that issue even bigger. If I could change mine, I would like a bigger master cylinder (more flow) than the Harley unit. Just mentioning for consideration, you are obviously much smarter on this!

Also, could probably get someone with an RT to let you mock one up. I do not think they are grossly different and my RT is pretty straight forward as far as the design.... Allot of RTs on the road, so imagine you will get hit up by owners. I'd offer mine up, but no where near you.

Spyder Garage

Hi Thanks for this. Yes once I work out the simplified RS unit (less flashy than the one on mine) then I’ll offer the parts and see if there’s a willing person around Alliston Ontario that will come up so I can try to fit it to the RT
    Just waiting on a different clutch cylinder with a smaller bore! Yes mine will bury to the grip if adjusted that way. But the Vstrom master has an adjustable lever so easy to space it out. In reality full travel on the Spyder brake( as in pulling all the way ) would lock up activate ABS and probably send you flying over the bars. Not a lot of travel in the”useable” range especially on mine

Spyder Garage

Once I get the new clutch cylinder it won’t take long to complete the design and make a few parts. Only talking a couple weeks I would think
    Cheers
    Dave

Spyder Garage

+1 interest for 2016 ST-S...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest
    Givi Saddlebags and Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, Wide-Vu Mirrors
    Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - garaged for now
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

Spyder Garage

Love a handbrake on any bike provided its fully efficient and affordable (less than $500).

Dont believe the brake you propose would be compatible with either model bike I’m leaning towards (F3/Ryker) but wish you all the best. Any other mods to assist accessibility would probably grow your market as well.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Assist

Spyder Garage

I would be very interested if you do develop one for the RT (2011).

Spyder Garage

Trouble is I dont have an RT - need someone to bring me one to have a look
    Dave