Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer dropped Can-Am line because of Ryker?

I went to schedule a service appointment at my local dealer recently and learned they are no longer an authorized service center for Can-Am. Apparently they dropped the entire line rather than be forced into the costs involved in selling and supporting Rykers. For them, Spyders were already a money loser and the Ryker requirements were just a bridge too far.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Re-posting OP to retain thread purpose..
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Had my RT service Friday at Tempo Marine in E Moline IL. (Cold windy ryde) They also said they aren't going to carry Rykers. Don't know if it's a BRP requirement to carry the franchise.
    Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Funny stopped by our local shop o pick up a motorcycle map of the area he still does service on spyders not any on their showroom floor, but have seen rykers leaving on the frontage road. I would venture to guess and I would also just order them as they are purchased. just guessing
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Some dealerships promote the Spyder/Ryker line and do very well. Other dealers just park them in a corner of the show room and wait for them to sell. They tend to gather dust and end up being sold at a big discount the next year. Some dealerships make all they need to make on other vehicles. They just don't want to put the effort into the Spyder/Ryker line.

I live in Greeneville, TN. A pretty small town. Our local dealership has sold I think 10 Rykers since December. And there are 3 other Spyder/Ryker dealerships within 60 miles of us. But these dealerships go out of their way to promote the product.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guzzihack View Post
    Had my RT service Friday at Tempo Marine in E Moline IL. (Cold windy ryde) They also said they aren't going to carry Rykers. Don't know if it's a BRP requirement to carry the franchise.
    Coke
    My dealer told me that it was a requirement to carry the Ryker in order to remain a dealer. They planned to carry them, but their issue was how many BRP told them that they had to order. They wanted to order fewer Rykers and more Spyders, but BRP said no that BRP's marketing decided how many.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I went to schedule a service appointment at my local dealer recently and learned they are no longer an authorized service center for Can-Am. Apparently they dropped the entire line rather than be forced into the costs involved in selling and supporting Rykers. For them, Spyders were already a money loser and the Ryker requirements were just a bridge too far.
    Welcome to the club. That is exactly what the only Alaska dealer has done. And Ryker was his main reason.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Which dealer, Pete?
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Which dealer, Pete?
    It's the one in Kamas, UT where I purchased the Platinum bike. Fortunately I found this out before taking the bike back north for the summer.

It started throwing VSS code and the Limp Home mode came on the last 100 miles of our return trip from Sierra Vista. Very ironic because Jane's bike was doing the same on the way to Sierra Vista so we had Sierra Cycles look into it. Stuck brake position switch was the diagnosis. I had my bike serviced (oil change and brake service) while there, but it wasn't throwing the code then of course.

If it's a warranty issue, I need an authorized dealer check it out. I presently have an appt at MotoZoo in St. George for tomorrow.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Last time I was at my local dealer here in Greenville, they only had RT's and Ryker's on the floor. no F3's
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Last week when I picked up my spyder(out of hibernation) at my dealership they had 2 Rykers on the sales floor. And had sold several.

1 of them had a "Sold" tag on it.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look at it this way: they couldn't have been much of a Dealer; if they couldn't make money on Spyders...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had one Service Manager at a Can-Am dealer tell me he "hates Spyders" Even though they are a dealer, he wished they weren't. There's a positive attitude for you..... I won't name the dealer because the Manager could have just been having a bad day. But, it is a dealership that I will not Ride into Now. I guess some dealers with multiple lines find dealing with BRP to be too onerous to maintain a good relationship. Bad for customers and BRP..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are an excellent dealer actually. It's just that the local market doesn't support the sales numbers for trikes or bikes that Can-Am requires
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I had one Service Manager at a Can-Am dealer tell me he "hates Spyders" Even though they are a dealer, he wished they weren't. There's a positive attitude for you..... I won't name the dealer because the Manager could have just been having a bad day. But, it is a dealership that I will not Ride into Now. I guess some dealers with multiple lines find dealing with BRP to be too onerous to maintain a good relationship. Bad for customers and BRP..... Jim
    Spyders and Rykers should be sold and serviced by independent motorcycle dealerships, like Sierra Cycles.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of dealerships are having financial problems and it has nothing to do with Spyders. Several Yamaha and Harley dealerships have closed in my area and the biggest spyder dealer in my area has merged with a Yamaha dealership so they can both stay afloat. People just don't have the money anymore for luxury items. That being said the Spyder dealer has sold all the Rykers and have others on back order

Spyder Garage

how can a dealership not make money selling motorcycles and spyders that cost as much as cars do? Our HD dealership had a "kick a$$ weekend" I went several times, the new bikes are in the 30-40K range, the CVO's more than that.... Heck we spent 27K on our Spyder. whats the markup on these things? good lord....
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I went to Daytona this past weekend for vacation and thought I'd stop by the Can Am dealership thinking it would probably be a big dealership being Daytona and all. I was wrong. It was no bigger than our Panama City dealership. They had one F3 and one RT in the new orange color which by the way looks awesome in person. They also had a couple Rykers. Now the Harley dealership was huge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    how can a dealership not make money selling motorcycles and spyders that cost as much as cars do? Our HD dealership had a "kick a$$ weekend" I went several times, the new bikes are in the 30-40K range, the CVO's more than that.... Heck we spent 27K on our Spyder. whats the markup on these things? good lord....
    You kind of answered your own question, didn't you? I have absolutely zero history as a motorcycle rider or buyer before getting my Spyder in 2017, but I've got to believe that many people think of motorcycles as a *cheaper* alternative to a/another car. When they find out they're not...

Dealers can obviously make money selling them to the remaining segment -- but not as many of them.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    You kind of answered your own question, didn't you? I have absolutely zero history as a motorcycle rider or buyer before getting my Spyder in 2017, but I've got to believe that many people think of motorcycles as a *cheaper* alternative to a/another car. When they find out they're not...

Dealers can obviously make money selling them to the remaining segment -- but not as many of them.
    there a truck load of new bikes on the road around here. , I'm seeing more spyders on the road now, than I ever have. Saw 3 just today. The dealers must be doing good in this neck of the woods...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2019 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Than I ever have, not every....
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

The dealer for Catalonia (Spain) is in the coast. In fact is in a leisure port.
    Their main bussiness are the sea doo's and boat's motor but they sell and
    service Spyders and Rykers. In fact I think they are the dealer that sells
    the most in Spain.
    We have very few points that provide workshop service in the country and
    if we need to visit the workshop during a trip, depending on where you are,
    we have to make large trips.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

When I was in Suncoast Motor Sports (Clearwater, FL) a couple months ago, they had about a half dozen new Rykers, 0 new and 1 used Spyders, and 0 F3s. I wanted to test drive an F3 while my Spyder was in the shop for maintenance. No joy. They did have a ton of SeaDoo's. You have to look at the entire BRP line-up and the geographical market of a dealership to understand why decisions are made. Many mfg's approach dealer agreements as a one size fits all, take it or leave it proposition, because some dumb-ass with an MBA thinks life works that way. This is true across many types of retail in the recreation sector. It usually happens with new product intros and the mfg tries to force their dealers to buy tons of the "new" thing without regard to the dealer's unique customer base, sales records, local differences in demand, available inventory space, or even existing inventory. I've seen brands CRASH because of this several times in fishing tackle, ATVs, RVs, and firearms. DUMB!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    The last part of your statement is the question that I have also. "What's the markup on these things?" I am certain that the markup must be large. But I know from experience that you can save 25-30% off the sticker price on a spyder by waiting until the next years models are released. In 2014, I bought a $22,950 spyder for $17,500. And in 2017 I bought a $26,000 spyder for $20,500. So, with that being said, I would also like to know what the cost is on these things. I have no problem letting someone else have the first bike on the block, especially when I can ride the same bike, 6 months later, and save $5-6k.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the one in Kamas, UT where I purchased the Platinum bike. Fortunately I found this out before taking the bike back north for the summer.

It started throwing VSS code and the Limp Home mode came on the last 100 miles of our return trip from Sierra Vista. Very ironic because Jane's bike was doing the same on the way to Sierra Vista so we had Sierra Cycles look into it. Stuck brake position switch was the diagnosis. I had my bike serviced (oil change and brake service) while there, but it wasn't throwing the code then of course.

If it's a warranty issue, I need an authorized dealer check it out. I presently have an appt at MotoZoo in St. George for tomorrow.
    Well, I took the RT down to MotoZoo in St. George today to have them check on the codes. They told me to leave the bike for a few days until they could get to it. They are crazy busy there, but not with Spyders; their main business is ATVs and the new line of jeep-like vehicles from Roxor. Their small parking lot was jammed with inventory and mostly ATV's in for service. I had zero confidence in them doing things to my satisfaction so brought the bike back to figure out my next move.

Joe Meyer, you have the BUDS system; any chance you can check it out for me?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Spyders and Rykers should be sold and serviced by independent motorcycle dealerships, like Sierra Cycles.
    Thumbs up for Sierra Cycles. Bought my B.E.S.T. extended warranty from them. Great to deal with.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue