Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Using in iPad Mini for Navigation, etc?

After posting this thread, I did a little more thinking (Not a good idea - I know )

I already own a Bluetooth iPad Mini which would do everything I want (GPS, Music and FOBO Monitoring) while ryding without having to buy an iPhone - and the screen is bigger (easier to read). So, I'm wondering whether anyone here rydes with an iPad Mini? If so, do you use a RAM Mount to secure it, or something else? (And where would I find a large enough Ram Mount for it, if that's the case)?

Also, which GPS app would you recommend for it? (Note: My Mini has Wifi only, so no data plan....)

If this is a workable solution for consolidating most of my devices, I just have to figure out how to transfer my iPod Touch's music to the Mini and then I would be good to go.

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I believe you need Wifi + cellular to have an active gps in any iPad.

Spyder Garage

If you do decide to go that route, and don’t have a cellular iPad mini, you can check this add on out. https://bad-elf.com/

I’ve also looked into, the iPad mini route. Just had too much wobble for my liking. I have the ram mount and bad elf on the shelf and if your interested I’d let them go reasonably.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    After posting this thread, I did a little more thinking (Not a good idea - I know )

I already own a Bluetooth iPad Mini which would do everything I want (GPS, Music and FOBO Monitoring) while ryding without having to buy an iPhone - and the screen is bigger (easier to read). So, I'm wondering whether anyone here rydes with an iPad Mini? If so, do you use a RAM Mount to secure it, or something else? (And where would I find a large enough Ram Mount for it, if that's the case)?

Also, which GPS app would you recommend for it? (Note: My Mini has Wifi only, so no data plan....)

If this is a workable solution for consolidating most of my devices, I just have to figure out how to transfer my iPod Touch's music to the Mini and then I would be good to go.

Thanks!
    I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0. Ram has a mount that uses a base unit plus adapters to fit various tablet sizes. Check them out on the Rammount site. From this post on https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...l=1#post779861 shows what I did. It's a little outdated since it shows the 2013 RT I had and the previous tablet and holder.

I use Sygic GPS app. You download all the maps you need state by state via wifi and no data connection is needed while on the road. I have a BT receiver plugged into the Spyder audio GPS input and connect my tablet to it. That transmits the tablet audio without using a cable. The only cable I have plugged into the tablet is from a USB charger.

Do a search for GPS and tablet or GPS and ipad. You'll read until your eyes get bleary!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sidecarrick View Post
    Thanks. After researching that unit, I came across this.

Cheaper and perhaps more practical (?) since there's no physical connection which might break. My only question then is which iOS GPS apps provide turn-by-turn navigation...
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Thanks. After researching that unit, I came across this.

Cheaper and perhaps more practical (?) since there's no physical connection which might break. My only question then is which iOS GPS apps provide turn-by-turn navigation...
    Doesn't the iPad mini have GPS built in? How many BT connections can you have at one time? With this GPS device BT connected to your iPad will you then be able to listen to audio from the iPad?

Sygic gives you turn by turn directions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Doesn't the iPad mini have GPS built in? How many BT connections can you have at one time? With this GPS device BT connected to your iPad will you then be able to listen to audio from the iPad?

Sygic gives you turn by turn directions.
    Nope - Mine is WiFi only, unfortunately.

Thanks.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I am confused here. Granted I do not know much about the istuff world. Are Ipad mini specs so bad that they do not have gps chip built in? Almost everything does. Why not the ipad. My galaxy tab tablet. I paid $150 for it new. Does not have cellular capability. Does not need it for my use. For the hell of it when I got it new 2 or 3 years ago. I tried it as a gps using the google maps apps. It worked just fine as a gps. No cellular connection. No wifi when I got away from the house. Just had to download the map before hand.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am confused here. Granted I do not know much about the istuff world. Are Ipad mini specs so bad that they do not have gps chip built in? Almost everything does. Why not the ipad. My galaxy tab tablet. I paid $150 for it new. Does not have cellular capability. Does not need it for my use. For the hell of it when I got it new 2 or 3 years ago. I tried it as a gps using the google maps apps. It worked just fine as a gps. No cellular connection. No wifi when I got away from the house. Just had to download the map before hand.
    Yep, that's the case. After I posted my question I decided I should just Google for the answer. Unbelievable, but the iPad mini non-cellular does not have GPS capability. The reason may be Apple's marketing strategy. Apparently the cellular version uses cell location services to to send initial location info to the GPS so the GPS will latch onto satellites very quickly. Fast response, an Apple mantra. Without cell service the GPS has to hunt for the satellites before it can lock onto them, which sometimes can take an ungodly long time to accomplish, you know, like maybe 10 to 30 seconds!! It looks to me like once again marketing trumps functionality!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Yep, that's the case. After I posted my question I decided I should just Google for the answer. Unbelievable, but the iPad mini non-cellular does not have GPS capability. The reason may be Apple's marketing strategy. Apparently the cellular version uses cell location services to to send initial location info to the GPS so the GPS will latch onto satellites very quickly. Fast response, an Apple mantra. Without cell service the GPS has to hunt for the satellites before it can lock onto them, which sometimes can take an ungodly long time to accomplish, you know, like maybe 10 to 30 seconds!! It looks to me like once again marketing trumps functionality!
    WOW it's lucky I did not join the Apple cult back when I did not know any better!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    No wifi when I got away from the house. Just had to download the map before hand.
    Does it recalculate once you miss a turn, like a regular gps unit does? Or, do you have to re-enter where you are currently at, and your final destination?

Spyder Garage

newbert,

Let us know what you finally end up with; maybe a regular gps, or paper maps, or multiple devices connected to your iPad mini? I guess we could wait for another of Idaho's Leonardo da Vinci inventions. Idaho, you are very inventive. I especially liked your.......... I'd better stop b/c I'll be getting way off track, and don't want to be kept after school.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Does it recalculate once you miss a turn, like a regular gps unit does? Or, do you have to re-enter where you are currently at, and your final destination?
    I don't see why it would not recalculate just like a stand alone gps unit. As long as the map for the area is stored on the device. That was a couple years ago that I tried it out and don't remember if I even tested that function.

I just downloaded the biggest map that google would allow. It included most of southern ontario, part of michigan, and part of new york. It was 392 MB and took 3 or 4 minutes to download. Tells me it will expire May 16, 2019. So 1 month.

When I get the chance I will try it out again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    newbert,

Let us know what you finally end up with
    ; maybe a regular gps, or paper maps, or multiple devices connected to your iPad mini? I guess we could wait for another of Idaho's Leonardo da Vinci inventions. Idaho, you are very inventive. I especially liked your.......... I'd better stop b/c I'll be getting way off track, and don't want to be kept after school.
    Well, I keep going back and forth over this. Now I'm leaning towards just keeping what I already have .... separate (TomTom) GPS and old iPod wired to my Sena. (GPS and Sena link via Bluetooth). The only thing I lose is real-time FOBO monitoring -- Right now I check the FOBO pressures before heading out, using my iPad Mini. If I'm taking a LONG trip, I bring the iPad Mini with me and occasionally check the air pressure when I take a break from ryding.

A bit clunky, but it works. Consolidating all of these functions into one device would be nice, but now I'm not sure whether that's worth the effort and expense.

Thanks all!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

So I just went for a drive. Took along my tablet and phone. Put both of them into airplane mode. So no data connection to anything (cell, wifi or bt). Both the tablet and phone gave turn by turn directions and rerouted when I missed a turn or turned the opposite way using google maps. Just like how a stand alone gps would work. Tried waze on both and would not work on either. But would work on my phone when airplane mode turned off. I did not preload any maps and don't know if it's possible. Just don't know waze well enough. I would guess that I likely could. Also tried genius maps maps on my phone, was not installed on my tablet, It worked just fine too with the phone in airplane mode. As it is advertised to do.

2018 F3 LIMITED