Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Pet Carriers/Dog backpack carriers

Between now and Christmas I will be getting a French Bull Dog. I would like to take my companion out with me for short rides out. Any recommendations for motorcycle pet carriers/Dog back pack carriers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Cutest little face ever!!! Don't have any info on a carrier, but... adorable dog! Enjoy when your pet arrives.
    : )
    Gina J

Spyder Garage

Love your dog. Ours when young DSCN5732.jpg
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Kuryakin do some pretty good "pet palaces" in a variety of sizes, so there should be one to fit your french bulldog. As you should be able to see in my avatar pic, if you think about it a little, your furry friend may even be able to fit in a tank bag instead of in a box on a rack or ryding the pillion seat etc - the avatar pic shows my 'miniture Maltese' sitting in the Can-Am tank bag that was originally intended for use on the RSS/ST style Spyders, but a tiny adjustment to the straps allows the front 2 to go around the steering shaft, with the heavier centre strap at the rear being extended to allow it to stretch down between the seat & the glovebox, go around the main spar, then back up to the bag. It also provides a secure link inside the bag for his harness, so he is strapped onto the Spyder, but the harness & lead is short enough so that even if the RT flips, he's kept clear of the ground by the dash & handlebars up front & the RT Trunk behind!

That little tank bag doesn't allow him to be fully enclosed, but once he's got his harness & Doggles on he prefers to be out in the breeze anyway. (Do protect your dogs eyes while ryding, even the wind pressure at moderate speeds can do a lot of canine eye damage over time! Doggles should be available at most pet accessory retailers, often the same places you can get a pet palace.) Still, when we are touring or the weather's not so nice, we have a larger tank bag very similar to the Kuryakin offerings that is big enough for him to be fully enclosed & protected, even curl up & settle inside completely enclosed & protected from the elements; or the side, front, & top mesh covers can be opened in varying stages to let him simply enjoy the breeze or go so far as to stick his head & shoulders out to commune with nature as we ryde. No, not THAT 'commune with nature', he will tell us in no uncertain terms if he needs a stop to find some grass or a fire hydrant, altho a front wheel will suffice if he's caught short!

Here's to Enjoying your Spyder Ryding with your Furry Friend & co-pilot aboard!

Ps: do a search on Teddy & his Red Sled, he's a real character who we see far too little of here on the Forum these days!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Cute littel Frenchie

I always wished I could take Kaos with me on road trips. But he ( they all were ) just a little to big------- see avatair on the left.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Adorable face,/and ears.

I don't have suggests for a dog carrier.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Here's thanking Luvs2Ride, Haikanko, Lew L and Deanna777 for your comments. Peter Aawen loving the advice and recommendation you have given, I will certainly do my homework on the Kuryakin. Peter did you wait till your dog was an adult before taking her out for rides or did you take her out when she was a puppy? I want to make sure my dog will be happy with rides out and just wondering whether to take her out whilst she is a puppy so that she can get used to it and find out if she will like it or not.
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra

Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SAAEgJA3fD_BwE

Here's some ideas, not sure what's available where you are.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    Between now and Christmas I will be getting a French Bull Dog. I would like to take my companion out with me for short rides out. Any recommendations for motorcycle pet carriers/Dog back pack carriers?
    Cuter than the English Bulldog for sure

Spyder Garage

Thank you Highwayman. After doing my homework and getting advice, I am sold on the Kuryakyn Pet Palace Carrier. Thanks again for the advice.
    Product description
    Does your small pet like to ride? If so, we have the safest, stylish, & most convenient solution! Place your pet inside, strap it to the bike & you're ready to take your favorite pet on the safari of a lifetime. Equipped with more features than you can shake a stick at - A drink holder for you & a food dish holder for your pet. Also a removable washable faux fur comfort liner, built in leash, two large storage compartments & four mesh windows for viewing & ventilation. Dims: 18.5" wide x 15" deep (with pockets) x 13" tall Cubic inches: 2,126 (Inside only) Reflective piping for visibility Highly water-resistant fabric, no rain cover needed Top window opens allowing pet to pop its head out Internal frame and rigid bottom provides support Carrying handle for easy portability Bottom and top zipper open for easy cleaning Zip out drink holder and pocket for included food/water dishes Removable faux fur comfort liner & four mesh windows for viewing and ventilation Included items: Internal adjustable leash, two dishes, four metal stakes for securing to the ground, & adjustable straps for mounting to the motorcycle
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra

Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Cuter than the English Bulldog for sure
    Are you kidding - ….. Bullies are the cutest dogs & smartest & most lovable & toughest & most stubborn & &&& well you get it ….. ...………...jmho ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I always wished I could take Kaos with me on road trips. But he (they all were ) just a little to big------- see avatar on the left.
    Lew L
    Lew, on one of my longer trips, I saw a motorcycle with a trailer. Peeked inside and saw a large dog. I could see he had a food dish as well as water dish, a couple of toys, and doggie bed. He might have a dog spa in the back. His owner/driver told me that the dog went and stood by the trailer on a daily basis, hoping it was time for a ride.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Friend of mine went down on the freeway a couple of years ago and both he and his K9 passenger survived the crash. He rear ended a stopped vehicle and bent the frame of his bike so it was totaled. New frame, forks, tire wheel and so on and both he and his buddy are back on the road again and riding together today. So just be super careful out there and enjoy the ride and the company.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Lew, on one of my longer trips, I saw a motorcycle with a trailer. Peeked inside and saw a large dog. I could see he had a food dish as well as water dish, a couple of toys, and doggie bed. He might have a dog spa in the back. His owner/driver told me that the dog went and stood by the trailer on a daily basis, hoping it was time for a ride.
    ~Sandee~
    Thanks for the reply Sandee. I guess " large dog" is the operative term here. Searched a bunch of sites and " large dog" to them means70 to 90 lbs. Great Danes are twice that size. We even chose a SUV many years ago because our Dane at the time could sit up in the back. Living with Great Danes is like living with a 180 lb. 3 year old. But we've had 6 of them over the years----- loved them all.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Are you kidding - ….. Bullies are the cutest dogs & smartest & most lovable & toughest & most stubborn & &&& well you get it ….. ...………...jmho ….. Mike
    OK Mike, ya got me. There are exceptions. Your Bully is cute also
    Guess I still remember my buddy in Liverpool when we were teenagers. His bulldog had been in a few scraps and had a problem with flatulence

Spyder Garage

Default Pet Carrier

This is how we take our second child with us on our trips, she has logged over 10,000 miles in her personal RV, there is room for her water dish, there is 4 operable windows with screens, two locking doors, and it is insulated with ridged fiberglass foam panels and a operable air scoop on top.
    i phone photos 004.jpg Big Bear Lake 001.jpg Camping up on the Crest 4-19 001.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

........... Peter did you wait till your dog was an adult before taking HIM out for rides or did you take HIM out when HE was a puppy? ........
    Him, Darren; Him!! Fixed it for you tho!

Dunno why everyone thinks that such a tough looking fella like Max is a 'she', He's got a bikie jacket, doggles, & a beard 'n all... but people still call Him a her! Usually only once tho!

Not to worry tho, he's survived so far without having to savage anyone's ankle for re-offending!

You ask how old he was when he first came riding? Well, he's been riding with me & keeping me in line for 16 years so far, so I guess he can handle a little gender confusion. He came out on his first ride with me when he was about 8 weeks old, and enjoyed it heaps, leaning into the curves & showing off to his adoring public - so he's been riding & driving with me ever since. For a lot of his early outings, he was so small (fitted on the palm of my hand with room to spare!) that I usually insisted that he travel in my jacket pocket (I wore a Dri-z-a-bone with those deep square flap covered pockets back then, so it was the safest place for such a tiny fella!) & only really graduated to the tank bag & the small pet palace full time once he'd reached his fighting weight of 2.5 kilos. I was a little surprised at how well he took to riding, & how much he enjoyed it, but while he was small, he'd always been a bit of an adventurous type & was always the first of his litter to be out exploring & tasting new stuff. I probably should've realised he'd enjoy pretty much everything I did when we first met.... he was so young the paint hadn't dried yet, his eyes were barely open, & he was sooo tiny, but he was out exploring the room well outside his mum's reach when we arrived & he quickly discovered my boot. He checked it out first to get his bearings, then climbed aboard, savaged the boot lace for a bit, and soon went to sleep sucking on the lace end while the Missus & I finalised his adoption - he adopted us & has travelled with us ever since! In fact, we've literally just finished a 600 mile run, with Max supervising the whole way.... altho he does 'rest his eyes' a lot more on long trips these days than he once used to, but he still lets me know when I'm slowing up too much! He's just a bit of a speed freak!

I reckon Max knew exactly where he wanted to be & what he wanted to do from the set to, and he didn't need to expend too much effort in making his preferences known - I'd guess your new companion will very quickly let you know too Darren!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you Highwayman. After doing my homework and getting advice, I am sold on the Kuryakyn Pet Palace Carrier. Thanks again for the advice.
    I think that's your best solution, if you can get them in England.https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Per...gateway&sr=8-4
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Cute littel Frenchie

I always wished I could take Kaos with me on road trips. But he ( they all were ) just a little to big------- see avatair on the left.
    Lew L
    Lew...I'd love to see your GD on your Spyder
    Our Whippet, Jenny Latte, was dressed for the part, but alas, gone before the Spyder arrived.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Darren,
    The Kuryakyn Palace is a must. While ryding through the Dales don't forget to protect those eyes. We have used both Rex Specs (https://www.rexspecs.com) and Doggles (https://woof.doggles.com). We also had leather bomber helmet for our four-legged ryder.

Just as a side note - when looking at your signature I was missing Yorkshire. I lived in Lindley (Otley) for quite a while.

Enjoy the road with you new companion.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Lew...I'd love to see your GD on your Spyder
    Our Whippet, Jenny Latte, was dressed for the part, but alas, gone before the Spyder arrived.
    Well I would have loved to see Kaos on the . One of our other Danes was very lean and deep chested. Thin head and longish snout. He was a very fast Dane and loved to out sprint just about everything. My condolences on Jenny. They just need to live much longer.

" If dogs don't go to Heaven --- then I want to go where they go"

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Kuryakin and Saddlemen have offerings. You can find both at dealers, accessory stores, and online via Amazon.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Dog back pack carriers or pouches would be a last resort due to wind noise which could have an affect on their hearing. That is one of the reasons I stopped taking our second Yorkie with us.

Have a great time with your pup with whatever you choose regarding the carrier.

Spyder Garage

I guess " large dog" is the operative term here. Searched a bunch of sites and " large dog" to them means70 to 90 lbs. Lew L
    Used to have malamutes with the males pushing 200LBS and females about 150LBS. Never took any of them for a motorcycle ride.

One day I was in a road side rest area. Biker pulled in beside me with a pair of standard sized huskies in a trailer behind his ride. He gets out a water bottle and starts filling bowls. I had my motorhome with horses and trailer in tow and was out feeding and watering the horses. I said to him that it looks like we both spent the money on a trailer so we could bring our pets along - only size was the difference (price too, but didn't say that)!

Making a dog carrier that will rest on a rack. Have more RV sized dogs now that could go for a Spyder ride someday.

Regards,

Don

dje-F3-rack.jpg
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Oh this is an awesome thread. My mom is 70 and loves my spyder. She is also legally blind and will hopefully be getting a seeing eye dog soon. I kept joking that we should get a trailer for the dog so it can come to but now Im gonna actually look into it. Does anyone know a company that makes those bigger dog trailers? For a lab?