Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

We once trained a Yorkie to sit in a tank bag on the motorcycles. I don't know how big you fur buddy will get, but seems having him/her up front like that would be preferable over them behind you. Either way though, I would start getting your pet used to what ever device you choose in the house first and gradually transition to being on the Spyder, then a running Spyder sitting still and finally short rides initially and making longer rides each time until you are certain they are happy with the situation.

In training Teddy (the Yorkie) we started out by teaching him to stay in the tank bag sitting in the living room floor and would extend the time with each session until he would obediently sit in the bag for up to an hour while we watched TV. This required lots of patience and lots of treats. He eventually got it. Next we went through a similar process to get him used to the doggles (needed to protect their eyes from wind damage). Once he was tolerant of the bag and doggles, I would sit him on one of the bikes in the bag and gently rock it around a little to get him used to leaning and not going into full panic mode resulting in an emergency exit. It only took a few sessions like that before I would start and run the engine for just a couple of minutes for a few more sessions. By the time I decided to actually take him for a ride of about five minutes, he was a happy camper at getting to go.

As a side note; I did install small diameter bungee cords in the bottom of the bag that were then attached to a D-ring on the bottom of his harness for extra insurance against him jumping out. They were just long enough to allow him to stand, but that was it. He eventually got to go on rides of several hundred miles over two or three days and seemed to love every minute of it.

Good luck and good on you for wanting your pet to be with you more.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I did buy Kurakyn Pet Palace and trialled it out with Teddy on the Spyder (beforehand introduced him slowly to sounds of Spyder etc) Teddy liked it, but I wasn't so sure after a period of time, I prefer him being in front of me. I have now bought a PoochPouch front carrier from Outward Hound. Getting him used to sitting inside it with doggles at home before slowly introducing him to the Spyder again. Teddy is a 4 month old Miniature Poodle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Teddy now uses Kurakyn Pet Palace has a play den at home. Attached pictures of Teddy in Kurakyn Pet Palace on Spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Rode inside my motorcycle jacket when I first got him. At first he would just stay inside and then after a while it started poking his head out. Now Da Murph just rides like a regular passenger. If I have to stop a little fast he just puts his head in my back. Never had a problem. Well that’s not necessarily true because in the winter time he’ll jump on the bike now the trike and wine because he can’t go for a ride. So I’ll start it up and let it run for about 10 minutes and that seems to satisfy him. Kind a like taking a fussy baby for a car ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    Here's thanking Luvs2Ride, Haikanko, Lew L and Deanna777 for your comments. Peter Aawen loving the advice and recommendation you have given, I will certainly do my homework on the Kuryakin. Peter did you wait till your dog was an adult before taking her out for rides or did you take her out when she was a puppy? I want to make sure my dog will be happy with rides out and just wondering whether to take her out whilst she is a puppy so that she can get used to it and find out if she will like it or not.
    I would start them out on the bike as soon as possible after toilet training.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I would start them out on the bike as soon as possible after toilet training.
    Dogs, unlike humans, don't go to the bathroom where they sleep, in this case a dog carrier or pouch. If they do go to the bathroom where they sleep, they are more than likely sick.