Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Another tire question, sorry. I know that BlueKnight911 recommends the Quatrac 5 in 175/55-15.

Why not the 165/60-15 size. It is the same width, less difference in diameter, sidewall, and circumference than the 175/55. It will not have as big of a speedometer error. It also is available at TireRack.

Thanks for the help comparing before purchase.
    Dave
    I'm the Quatrac 5 guy ….. The difference between those two are infinitesimal ….. just DON'T tell them it's for a SPYDER …. they probably won't sell it to you …. Discount tire has a ban on selling the Kumho Ecsta tire, to Spyder owners …..because so many people told them they were for their Spyder..... I fear this is going to be the fait of the Quatrac 5 ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Had Federal tires recommended for front by dealer on OBT in Florida

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    OK.....so what did you replace them WITH ??
    Kumho Solus KH16s. Back when I bought them (Fall 2016), they were well regarded.

I've noticed that different tire brands seem to rise and fall in/out of favor over time at this website. Tire development is obviously pretty dynamic. You might be well advised to disregard any recommendations more than two years old.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm the Quatrac 5 guy ….. The difference between those two are infinitesimal ….. just DON'T tell them it's for a SPYDER …. they probably won't sell it to you …. Discount tire has a ban on selling the Kumho Ecsta tire, to Spyder owners …..because so many people told them they were for their Spyder..... I fear this is going to be the fait of the Quatrac 5 ...... Mike
    I'm ordering from TireRack so it should go through. I also got the Kumho Ecsta for the rear awhile ago and it is working well but I'm no expert.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bkniters View Post
    Had Federal tires recommended for front by dealer on OBT in Florida
    Would that OBT mean Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    I'm ordering from TireRack so it should go through. I also got the Kumho Ecsta for the rear awhile ago and it is working well but I'm no expert.
    …………. The Kumho is preferable to a KENDA ….. however, I have read on this Forum from numerous members, that they were dis-appointed in how soon the Kumho lost it's Wet Weather capabilities..... comments like " I have lots of Tread left, but the Rear end looses traction in the rain " …………… there are more than a few, better Wet road tires to choose from. The Ecsta has been around for a long time( without tread formula improvements ) and Tire Science has moved well beyond what the Ecsta provided. …… Mike

Spyder Garage

I am using the AVID Envigor on our 2014 RTL. Now have a little over 4600 miles on it and it has been rock solid all the way. I chose the Envigor over the S-Drive because of the UTQG rating (slightly softer compound) and got it in 205/65 to achieve a correction on the speedometer/odometer. My speedometer is now within 0.4mph when checked against GPS at 75mph.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ordering tires today from Tire Rack.
    Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105, 175/55R15 for the fronts.
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 for the rear.

AND.....much to my amazement, my local Ride Now has decided that they WILL mount them for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Ordering tires today from Tire Rack.
    Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105, 175/55R15 for the fronts.
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 for the rear.

AND.....much to my amazement, my local Ride Now has decided that they WILL mount them for me.
    Please let us know about your experience after you have a chance to try the new tires. Aaaaaaand..... It is surprising to see R.N. agreed to mount them. Maybe they are taking a new direction. Hope so, and hope it affects all their stores..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Hope so, and hope it affects all their stores..... Jim
    I'm not holding my breath though.
    The SAME GUY who told me a bit over a year ago that they would NOT do it........today told me that they always have done it if the customer signs a "waiver".

AND.....I forgot to ask him if they could balance them too. That can be important.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Please let us know about your experience after you have a chance to try the new tires. Aaaaaaand..... It is surprising to see R.N. agreed to mount them. Maybe they are taking a new direction. Hope so, and hope it affects all their stores..... Jim
    Neither of those tires have a good performance rating ............ the absolute best is the " Vredestein Quatarc 5 " front or rear sizes ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would only be concerned with the front tires and placing the RED dot at the valve stem, may work without any weights .....I haven't balanced my last 4 rear tires - and haven't had any issues ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

The front Kenda tires on my 2014 TRL are cupped bad and I am replacing them.
    The Kenda size is 165/55/R15
    I want Vredestein Quartac 5 175/55 R15
    Is this a good replacement as far as the size difference and will it have a bad reaction down the road?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

The front Kenda tires on my 2014 TRL are cupped bad and I am replacing them.
    The Kenda size is 165/55/R15
    I want Vredestein Quartac 5 175/55 R15
    Is this a good replacement as far as the size difference and will it have a bad reaction down the road?
    I see you found My choice in tires ( and lots of others here lately )….. I study tires, and currently this is the best rated tire I have found ….. Mike …………. A lot of the folks here who have also chosen this tire have used that size

Spyder Garage

Ooo central Vt. I’m not too far in upstate NY.
    Thanks for the info.
    Now on to alignment questions and how to wade through them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see you found My choice in tires ( and lots of others here lately )….. I study tires, and currently this is the best rated tire I have found ….. Mike …………. A lot of the folks here who have also chosen this tire have used that size
    Mike, I'm about to order 4 of these (2 for each 2014 RTL) from TireRack.com and just want to verify the size is correct. Thanks.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=755TR5QT5
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Ooo central Vt. I’m not too far in upstate NY.
    Thanks for the info.
    Now on to alignment questions and how to wade through them.
    about 150mi. ….. Are you coming to the HUGH SpyderQuest event in Lake George …. Sept 4-7 , 2019 ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Mike, I'm about to order 4 of these (2 for each 2014 RTL) from TireRack.com and just want to verify the size is correct. Thanks.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=755TR5QT5
    Yep that's what Most are using ( and Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooving ) …. their are sellers that might be cheaper ….Simple tire … Vulcan tire ….. But even at $87.00 they are a bargain ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep that's what Most are using ( and Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooving ) …. their are sellers that might be cheaper ….Simple tire … Vulcan tire ….. But even at $87.00 they are a bargain ….. Mike
    Done. They arrive next Tuesday. Then, to find an installer. What's the latest on whether or not to balance them?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Done. They arrive next Tuesday. Then, to find an installer. What's the latest on whether or not to balance them?
    Well in the recent past I have mounted quite a few Auto/trk tires on various size rims ….. using the Red Dot next to the valve stem theory, I have only had ONE tire /wheel that didn't balance 100% ( maybe 90% )….. I just received my Balancing device so I will check that tire …. Front wheels/tires on Spyders fit 90% of all the machine oprs. that I know of …. A few might not have the small cone needed for a Spin balancer …. But you can tell if it needs balancing the first time you get above say 60 mph ….. If it isn't balanced you will feel it …. Then get them balanced with some type of balancer ….. or just have the installer balance it while you wait ….. Non KENDA tires are of much higher Quality ….. the tire might balance using the Red Dot method …..jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I am running these on the front of my F3s and today I rode over 150 miles in rain and high wind and these tires handle better than any others I have tried. No hint of hydoplaning at all and I was running between 65 and 70 most of the way. I am running them at 16# pressure.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I am running these on the front of my F3s and today I rode over 150 miles in rain and high wind and these tires handle better than any others I have tried. No hint of hydoplaning at all and I was running between 65 and 70 most of the way. I am running them at 16# pressure.
    ......That's great to hear, I was pretty sure everything I read about them as a great wet road tire, would be born out by folks riding in the rain ….. Thanks for sharing …………......Mike