Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes, another tire question...........

After an extensive online search today..............
    Has anyone used these tires on a late model RT; I have a '17 RTL.
    OR does anybody see why they would NOT be an appropriate choice ??

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...num=755TR5H105

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=06HR5ENV

NOTE:
    A laser alignment helped my low speed stability a lot......but now it gets unstable above 60 MPH.
    Looks like tires is about the only "guess" left.
    Yes, I have done the sway bar; the problem always has been while going in a straight line.
    I am not a happy camper.

Spyder Garage

I don't have experience with the tires you are looking at. But I do have experience with your 60 MPH+ stability problem. If you look at my signature you will see all that was done to correct a very unstable bike. My bike was scary unstable above 60 after doing all the upgrades. The very last thing I did was to change tires. The OEMs LOOKED good. They were not. After I got rid of the crapola Kendas, my bike suddenly transformed into joy to ride with very planted stability at ALL speeds. I am not a tire expert but I previously rode a 2 wheeler that suffered tire seperation. What I was experiencing with the Spyder mimicked that tire failure. It was not visable to my untrained naked eye. All I can tell you is that getting rid of the Kendas solved the problems I was experiencing. Good Luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I don't have any experience with the tires that you looked at.

Good luck!
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I have not tried that brand, but for a little less $ you can get a higher rated tire that I am currently running on my F3

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5QT5&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WR5S&tab=Sizes

I will be replacing my rear with a 205/60R15 Quatrac 5, but I did have to order that one from another tire house.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dc8cappie View Post
    I found that to be an ok tire.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Easy Rider, a few people over here in Australia run those Hankooks successfully on the fronts of their Spyders, most being very happy with those tire's significant improvement over the Kendas in all respects! The only people not happy with them on the front of their Spyders were those who insisted on still running pressures more suited to significantly heavier cars, rather than runnng pressures more suitable for our much lighter vehicles - their complaints included tram lining, harsh ride, excessive wear in the middle of the tread, & poor wet road handling; all things that can indicate too much pressure in the tire & so, may easily be resolved by reducing the pressure to something more appropriate for the (lesser) load the lighter vehicle imposes on the tires.

The Yokohamas you linked aren't quite so readily available in Aust & I couldn't find anyone here who'd tried them, but generally, Yokohamas are a pretty good tire that can work well under a vehicle as light as our Spyders (if you run appropriate pressures)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Easy Rider, a few people over here in Australia run those Hankooks successfully on the fronts of their Spyders, most being very happy with those tire's significant improvement over the Kendas in all respects! The only people not happy with them on the front of their Spyders were those who insisted on still running pressures more suited to significantly heavier cars, rather than runnng pressures more suitable for our much lighter vehicles - their complaints included tram lining, harsh ride, excessive wear in the middle of the tread, & poor wet road handling; all things that can indicate too much pressure in the tire & so, may easily be resolved by reducing the pressure to something more appropriate for the (lesser) load the lighter vehicle imposes on the tires.

The Yokohamas you linked aren't quite so readily available in Aust & I couldn't find anyone here who'd tried them, but generally, Yokohamas are a pretty good tire that can work well under a vehicle as light as our Spyders (if you run appropriate pressures)
    Thanks Peter - proper PSI is key to better handling ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    After an extensive online search today..............
    Has anyone used these tires on a late model RT; I have a '17 RTL.
    OR does anybody see why they would NOT be an appropriate choice ??

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...num=755TR5H105

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=06HR5ENV

NOTE:
    A laser alignment helped my low speed stability a lot......but now it gets unstable above 60 MPH.
    Looks like tires is about the only "guess" left.
    Yes, I have done the sway bar; the problem always has been while going in a straight line.
    I am not a happy camper.
    That Hankook is nothing to cheer about and the Yoko is only slightly better ……...… My track record for picking the Best Spyder tires, is un-matched. ….. However I only recommend - not demand that anyone take my advise. ………. Over the course of many years - those who followed my advise were not dis-appointed ….. But any auto tire will perform at it's best with psi's of 15-front and 17-8 rear …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

i have over 37,000 miles of smiles on my Hankook VENTUS V4 ES H105, and i'm here to tell you that i have another 15,000+ to go...
    these tires are quiet, stable and grip like glue... when i had the OEM tires up front, my 'Nanny' would come on while on the zig-zags up in the Blue Ridge Mountains... since i put the HANKOOKS on, not once has my Nanny yelled at me....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    All I can tell you is that getting rid of the Kendas solved the problems I was experiencing. Good Luck..... Jim
    Thank you......I think.
    I WANT to love my Spyder but just haven't been able to yet.

If new tires fixes the problem.......which has been there since day 1......and two different dealers have said they can't see anything wrong.........
    I am tempted to ship the old ones to BRP with a suggestion as to where they can STICK them !!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you......I think.
    I WANT to love my Spyder but just haven't been able to yet.

If new tires fixes the problem.......which has been there since day 1......and two different dealers have said they can't see anything wrong.........
    I am tempted to ship the old ones to BRP with a suggestion as to where they can STICK them !!!
    LOL....you and everyone else here.....Kenda tires suck on the Spyder
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    LOL....you and everyone else here.....Kenda tires suck on the Spyder
    ……………… But from BRP's view ( the corporate bean counters ) they have a HUGH profit margin. …. Because of Sweet Heart deal they have with Crapenda ( I don't think BRP actually pays for the New tires that are put on at the factory ) Spyders will ALWAYS come with them …… ……………. Mike ...……….. The argument that BRP - " MUST use Motorcycle tires is HOOEY " … HD isn't REQUIRED to use Motorcycle tires on the TRIKES they sell. …. NOT even in Canada …….

Spyder Garage

The factories get what is called a "manufacturers discount" and it's a huge one. I used to work at a truck trailer mfr and us employees enjoyed the same discount from that brand, making our car tires very cheap.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Replacing the crap Kendas fixed the twitchy handling on my 2014 RT-S. Completely different machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Replacing the crap Kendas fixed the twitchy handling on my 2014 RT-S. Completely different machine.
    OK.....so what did you replace them WITH ??

I could swear that somebody in Central Florida said that one of the dealers nearby did "car tires" and even kept one brand in stock.
    Maybe I am having nightmares; the two dealers I called don't stock anything but Kenda and Arachnid.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK.....so what did you replace them WITH ??

I could swear that somebody in Central Florida said that one of the dealers nearby did "car tires" and even kept one brand in stock.
    Maybe I am having nightmares; the two dealers I called don't stock anything but Kenda and Arachnid.
    Go to a tire dealer. Changing the front tires is easy. I'm running Continental Conti Pro Contact, 165/60R15. The OEM Kendas had a constant pull to the right. After I changed them out at 13,000 miles no more pulling!
    Or go with the Vredesteins that Blueknight is strongly recommending. See post #4 above.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If this is any help just ordered these today http://simpletire.com/hankook-175-55r15-1009669-tires

And they have a 10% special discount on those tires 73.50 each final price!
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Peter can you please tell me what pressure they are running the Hankooks at?
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Even though you didn't take my suggestion on What tire to buy ,,, I'll tell you what I believe He will say …. Any auto tire used on any spyder needs a lot less air pressure than the OEM Kenda's …. to operate at their best …. I use 15 front & 17 rear …. and I love it. Auto tires are built way stronger than the Kenda's, so they don't need high PSI to remain stable, un-like the Kenda's ……

Spyder Garage

^^ Wot 'e says!

Sure can, those who are happy with the Hankooks in the dry AND the wet are running pressures like 14-18psi up front, with 16-20psi up the back, altho a few of the bigger fellas are going up to maybe 22.... but they are fairly large blokes! The people who run pressures any higher than those in auto tires generally complain about the harsh ride, rapid wear, &/or poor hydroplaning resistance in the wet!

It really is a matter of dropping the pressure for the lighter loading, and once you get those lower pressures right, it'll really make your Spyder feel like the ryde you wanted it to be!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this is any help just ordered these today http://simpletire.com/hankook-175-55r15-1009669-tires
    Think that's what I'm going with.
    But will be doing the back at the same time so I need to find a dealer willing to do it first.

Spyder Garage

Another tire question, sorry. I know that BlueKnight911 recommends the Quatrac 5 in 175/55-15.

Why not the 165/60-15 size. It is the same width, less difference in diameter, sidewall, and circumference than the 175/55. It will not have as big of a speedometer error. It also is available at TireRack.

Thanks for the help comparing before purchase.
    Dave

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Another tire question, sorry. I know that BlueKnight911 recommends the Quatrac 5 in 175/55-15.

Why not the 165/60-15 size. It is the same width, less difference in diameter, sidewall, and circumference than the 175/55. It will not have as big of a speedometer error. It also is available at TireRack.

Thanks for the help comparing before purchase.
    Dave
    The mph is from the rear wheel.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The mph is from the rear wheel.
    True. So any advantage for the 165/60 over the 175/55?