Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For Those Ryding with an iPhone -- A Few Questions, Please

After many years of resistance, I'm finally considering getting an iPhone. Believe it or not, ryding my Spyder has pushed me to this rash decision. Right now I have a Sena 20S, TomTom Bluetooth GPS, a very old non-Bluetooth iPod (that I use for music), and a super-basic flip phone.

The thought occurred to me that I could finally enter the 21st century, and consolidate all this stuff into one device - an iPhone. But I have a few questions......

1. Which GPS app do you use on your iPhone? And does it incur data charges?

2. How is the iPhone screen glare-wise when using it as a GPS? Is there an easy solution to making it more "anti-glare"?

3. Does anyone use Spectrum Mobile as their service provider? Their advertised monthly charges seem good, but I'm not sure how reliable their coverage is.....

4. Finally, which iPhone model would you recommend? FWIW, I'm cheap and like to save $$$ where possible.

Please don't try talking me into getting an Android phone instead. Since I'm already deeply committed to the iOS eco-system with numerous iPads. So, Apple it is.

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Hi Bert. My GF uses an iPhone on her Spyder and uses Google maps and Waze for GPS duties, both free apps and Google owns Waze. The glare just depends on the angle of light hitting your screen. I use a ram mount and adjust the angle of my phone if needed. Research I have done in the past indicates spectrum mobile actually runs on the Verizon network. Hope this helps some.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I use the GPS program that cones on the IPHONE and have no trouble seeing the screen. There are some things that i like better in Google maps but I cannot get the volume to go high enough on it through my Sena 20S

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    2. How is the iPhone screen glare-wise when using it as a GPS? Is there an easy solution to making it more "anti-glare"?
    An anti-glare screen protector will help a lot, but it does reduce the sharpness of the screen image a little bit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses everyone! I've since given it a little more thought and am now considering this. Wondering what you think about that option?
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I pretty much match your setup -- I have a Sena 20S and use my iPhone for both music and navigation. (Well, in-town/commute, just for music; I check traffic on it as I head out the door and choose my route.)

I use Google Maps almost exclusively. I've tried some of the other apps, both paid (free trial) and free, and am fine with Google Maps. I've got to install Pierre at CanAmSpyderAccessories' USB charger gadget before I'll be fully enabled for longer hauls -- Google Maps (or any app that uses GPS/location services heavily) in combination with Bluetooth will suck your battery dry faster than you would tend to want. I typically go 5 years between cellphone upgrades, so my current iPhone is a 3.5 year old 6S, which replaced a 3. I'm not real keen on the facial recognition concept on the latest models, so would personally choose a 7 or below if buying at the moment. I may not have a choice on my next upgrade cycle, but we'll see.

A point of frustration with it is work-related -- I had to enable passcode protection in conjunction with a new security standard (not suggesting it's a bad idea, it's just not one I needed) and it's really a pain to deal with unlocking it on the bike if I'm not using Maps, which keeps the screen engaged. (Note: if you're going to fool around with the iPhone or whatever is mounted, either pull over or do it at a stop. Great way to mess up your day if you do it at 60mph.)

That aside, it's a reliable, simple, effective way to go. My iPhone has all of my tunes, so I just leave it on shuffle and listen to all sorts of goodness through the headset, or when i'm going somewhere reasonably remote, will hook it up to the connector in the top case (I have a 2017 RT) and go with the built-in speakers. Cows, squirrels and dogs love The Cars, while horses seem to be more into jazz...
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

What bike do you have? Might be more options if an RTS. I have a GS/RS with a ram mount that clamps on the handlebar on the right side, in that 1/2" or so gap. I had to do some work that involved popping out the center console, so I tied in a USB module and ran the cable out of the dash. Wish I had put in a real cigarette lighter socket though. On my RTS I used the open cable for the GPS and plugged in an extension cord and ran up the dash, so i could play through the sound system if I wanted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Google Maps (or any app that uses GPS/location services heavily) in combination with Bluetooth will suck your battery dry faster than you would tend to want.

A point of frustration with it is work-related -- I had to enable passcode protection in conjunction with a new security standard (not suggesting it's a bad idea, it's just not one I needed) and it's really a pain to deal with unlocking it on the bike if I'm not using Maps, which keeps the screen engaged
    Regarding first statement, your screen is what burns up most of the power. Your screen will power down after a few minutes of nonuse. Also, you don't have to leave Google Maps active when you are going long distances without turning. If you are going 100 miles before your next turn, turn off your phone.

Regarding second statement, IF you do what Apple wants, it is a major PITA. Apple is doing this because so many apps want you to access your bank account, send money, log in to Twitter, Facebook, etc. etc. However, if you don't use your phone for that stuff, you don't need all that &^%$ security and thankfully you can deactivate all of it. I have an iPhone XR (pretty close to latest model) and when I got it, it wanted to see my face first and/or enter a code. Screw that, I use the phone for my PHONE and the occasional text and my maps. I don't EVER use my phone for anything involving money or all that social media cr@p and there is nothing else sensitive on it. If somebody steals my phone, the big loss is the phone itself. There's nothing else on there that can't be replaced. I think this stuff is all turned off through Passcode but I don't have my phone right in front of me now. Once it's deactivated, lighting up the screen requires only one touch anywhere on the screen (on my wife's iPhone 8, you have to press the home button, that's all).
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Regarding first statement, your screen is what burns up most of the power. Your screen will power down after a few minutes of nonuse. Also, you don't have to leave Google Maps active when you are going long distances without turning. If you are going 100 miles before your next turn, turn off your phone.
    All true, but (a) GPS and location services are also reasonably significant drains on the battery, and (b) most of the rides where I need Maps active, I need it active. I agree in that I go without when I don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Regarding second statement, IF you do what Apple wants, it is a major PITA. Apple is doing this because so many apps want you to access your bank account, send money, log in to Twitter, Facebook, etc. etc.
    As I mentioned, it's a work thing -- I'm not doing what Apple wants, I'm doing what my employer wants, and that involves using a small set of apps for work-related activities ranging from authentication to collaboration. I don't want to carry multiple phones/portable devices, so for the convenience of one device, I have to comply with a few policies that check the right SOC 2 boxes and keep the auditors happy. The only reason I mentioned it was to note that having a passcode on your phone is indeed an impediment to using it on the move (and indeed one of the reasons I keep Maps active when I'm using it is so that I don't have to reauthenticate very often).
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Speaking of GPS, if you add power up front somewhere for a USB port, be sure to get a 2.1 Amp or higher adaptor (higher the better). Using GPS will still drain battery using the cheap 1 Amp adaptors and kill the phone! I use Amazon Prime music and GPS and battery stays 100% charged.

Spyder Garage

Not gonna be much help, but I recently went from old flip phone to larger smart phone for the same reasons. Can have camera, music, phone, etc, etc in one device.

I went to an Android Phone, mainly because it is Linux based and I use a Linux OS on my computer.

You may be able to keep some of the glare down by using a mounting case that has a sun shade over it. Some of the water-proof handlebar mounts for GPS have a sun shade over the display.

Read to find size to see what your phone will fit in. Most will come with filler foam to make up width differences. Phone don't need to fill the whole case. The filler will keep it steady.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

On my side, I'm using my iPhone with MyRouteApp and MyRouteApp.

The first one is an iPhone app and a web site where you can plan your route in every possible ways. There's a lot of possibilities and configuration.

MyRouteApp-Nav is the Navigation app on the iPhone that is a true GPS turn by turn indication and it is linked with the web site to show you all your planned route. You just have to load the app once you're on a WiFi (or with data plan) and it can load all the routes that you can, if you want, use them in offline mode without any data usage.

My iPhone is held by an X-Ram mount and I have installed a USB cable from my glove box (Spyder F3T) directly to my phone.

You can look at post #3 in this link to see my setup.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ndle-bar-mount

As long as you are plugged and the Nav app is ON, the iPhone will never turn it's screen off.

And regarding the sun glare, it's just a matter of angle with the Ram X-Mount.

Hope this Helps !
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have I phone 8s She has Waze on hers which is great for keeping you from getting tickets.I have Google maps,Rever,and Scenic.Rever and Scenic are ride planning Apps that you can chose from hundreds of rides already run by other users or you can plan your own ride and if you want share it with others.They also work as a standard GPS also with the added benefit of working in areas of low/no cell signal.My 17 RTL came with a Zumo gps which is awesome but for me learning how to use Garmin Basecamp to program a ride was tough and had to be done on my laptop at home,not on the fly.My phone sends Bluetooth to my Sena 20s on helmet and I get turn by turn also.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE