Thread: ECM Went Crazy

Spyder Garage

Default ECM Went Crazy

I went out to start my Spyder RT SE5, and once it was running, I got all kinds of errors flashing at me! Check Engine, ABS Issue, Limp Home, and many more (seemed like all them!). I had ridden it the day before with no problems, so I didn't know what was going on. I shut it down, and checked the usual things...oil, brake fluid, anti-freeze mix, tire pressure, the belt, any foreign objects, etc. I added about 1/4 cup of oil, and a couple of tablespoons of brake fluid, just to top them up. Didn't need any coolant at all... Everything else checked out fine. I turned the key, and started it up...NO ERROR MESSAGES AT ALL! I've ridden it several times since this incident with absolutely no problems or error message, warnings, etc. I have no clue why it went "crazy" that one time. Seems like everything is fine now...runs like it should (and always did). What the **** happened???

Spyder Garage

How old is the battery?
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Best guess.... Adding those couple of tablespoons of brake fluid was what your Spyder was screaming to you that it "needed"..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    How old is the battery?
    Right. Or, battery terminal connections. It's helpful to tighten them at the start of each season. On mine, the positive post always needs re-tightened..... even with star washers...but they definitely help.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    How old is the battery?
    Less than a year old,,,replaced at the Can Am dealer in Chesapeake, VA...its been on a battery tender throughout the winter (not taken out of the bike), so I don't think it was a battery issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Right. Or, battery terminal connections. It's helpful to tighten them at the start of each season. On mine, the positive post always needs re-tightened..... even with star washers...but they definitely help.
    I'll check the terminals and leads, and make sure they're snug. The battery is less than a year old, and hasn't had any problem starting the bike throughout the winter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Best guess.... Adding those couple of tablespoons of brake fluid was what your Spyder was screaming to you that it "needed"..... Jim
    Yup, that might have done the trick...I usually check fluids, tires, etc. once a week, but hadn't checked the brake fluid in awhile. I'm surprised that adding so little satisfied the "brain"... :-) But it worked, and the "brain" knows better than I do. LOL

Spyder Garage

Default Connections....

I agree that it would seem that there was a momentary loss throwing all the codes out. This could be a loose ground frame connection or battery connections. Check battery charge as well as charging output. I call those sudden codes glitches as many go away and never return but you should keep an eye out cause if they do return it can be an issue.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I doubt your oil orbrake fluid levels were low, the 1330 doesn’t consume oil and if your brake fluid was low you would gave gotten a Brake Failure warning that shows low fluid in part of the message. Like the others have said it is likely a battery issue. Niw that you have it running again you should check the oil with the engine hot to see if you have overfilled it

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I went out to start my Spyder RT SE5, and once it was running, I got all kinds of errors flashing at me! Check Engine, ABS Issue, Limp Home, and many more (seemed like all them!). I had ridden it the day before with no problems, so I didn't know what was going on. I shut it down, and checked the usual things...oil, brake fluid, anti-freeze mix, tire pressure, the belt, any foreign objects, etc. I added about 1/4 cup of oil, and a couple of tablespoons of brake fluid, just to top them up. Didn't need any coolant at all... Everything else checked out fine. I turned the key, and started it up...NO ERROR MESSAGES AT ALL! I've ridden it several times since this incident with absolutely no problems or error message, warnings, etc. I have no clue why it went "crazy" that one time. Seems like everything is fine now...runs like it should (and always did). What the **** happened???
    Yep, I have them 'Brain Farts' also. Some people call them 'Senior Moments' and it becomes a problem when they get consecutive especially on a Spyder.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Yep, I have them 'Brain Farts' also. Some people call them 'Senior Moments' and it becomes a problem when they get consecutive especially on a Spyder.
    I agree. During the boot up of the computers, the process missed a bit or two of data and failed the bootup. The second time you tried all worked as normal. Most likely won't happen again IMHO.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I agree that it would seem that there was a momentary loss throwing all the codes out. This could be a loose ground frame connection or battery connections. Check battery charge as well as charging output. I call those sudden codes glitches as many go away and never return but you should keep an eye out cause if they do return it can be an issue.
    It was a glitch for sure! :-) Never had anything like that happen before, and I'm hopeful that it never happens again. Once the rain lets up, I'm going to check EVERYTHING I can, including the bettery terminal connections. The Spyder spends its life outside (no garage), but my battery tender has always kept a decent voltage level in the battery, and the battery is only a year old...bought from and installed by a Can Am dealer. If I find anything "suspicious", I'll post my findings in here. Thanks for your kind words!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    I agree. During the boot up of the computers, the process missed a bit or two of data and failed the bootup. The second time you tried all worked as normal. Most likely won't happen again IMHO.

=bob=
    God willing and the creek don't rise, it will never happen again! :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I'm hoping that this was a singular event...it scared the hell out of me thinking about the potential costs for getting all those "faults" corrected. LOL Its running like a top now, so maybe, just maybe it was an ECM "senior moment". :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I doubt your oil orbrake fluid levels were low, the 1330 doesn’t consume oil and if your brake fluid was low you would gave gotten a Brake Failure warning that shows low fluid in part of the message. Like the others have said it is likely a battery issue. Niw that you have it running again you should check the oil with the engine hot to see if you have overfilled it
    Mine is a 998...2012, so not the 1330...but it's never shown any signs of burning oil. Yet it does have 50,000+ miles on it, so maybe its burning a little but with no outward signs. I normally check the oil level after I've ridden it at least a mile or two (up and down my road), to make sure the engine is hot enough. Never got a low brake fluid warning...just enough red error lights indicating that if I tried to ride the bike, I would surely die. LOL