Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 98
  1. #51
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,933
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post

    That safety pin looks like a joke to me, and according to the guy Texas BRP doesn't give you a lug nut socket with the tool kit; what's up with that? Smells cheap to me $$
    The socket (65mm) is too big for a motorcycle tool kit. Even if they did give you one, there is no room on the bike for a 250 ftlbs torque wrench / breaker bar. Nope, these are shop use tools. Flat tire = call roadside service if it cannot be plugged and filled. Pretty much the case for all motorcycles.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  2. #52
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,395
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    My F3 is my summer snowmobile, and coming from the sled world you know going in on a new model that you're going to be a consumer guinea pig, it is what it is. You just hope that no one gets hurt.

    That safety pin looks like a joke to me, and according to the guy Texas BRP doesn't give you a lug nut socket with the tool kit; what's up with that? Smells cheap to me $$
    The safety pin is more than adequate. I don't think you're going to see any wheel issues with the safety pin as long as the wheel is installed correctly. But you're going to have issues with any wheel if not installed correctly. I lost a rear wheel on my 86 Ford F-250 on a windy road because the tire shop that installed it did a very poor job.

    As far as the tool set needed to replace a wheel. You're looking at well over $200.00 for the BRP socket and a decent 3/4 drive torque wrench that will do the job. I know you're just asking for the socket. But without the torque wrench, it is of no value. Where are you going to store a 2 foot plus torque wrench on a Ryker? And how many people do you think will actually use it? Even with a long handled torque wrench you're looking at some pretty stout effort.

    Like JT said. Not only is it not practical. It's a bit much to ask BRP or a dealership to throw in.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  3. #53
    Member ChicagoSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The socket (65mm) is too big for a motorcycle tool kit. Even if they did give you one, there is no room on the bike for a 250 ftlbs torque wrench / breaker bar. Nope, these are shop use tools. Flat tire = call roadside service if it cannot be plugged and filled. Pretty much the case for all motorcycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The safety pin is more than adequate. I don't think you're going to see any wheel issues with the safety pin as long as the wheel is installed correctly. But you're going to have issues with any wheel if not installed correctly. I lost a rear wheel on my 86 Ford F-250 on a windy road because the tire shop that installed it did a very poor job.

    As far as the tool set needed to replace a wheel. You're looking at well over $200.00 for the BRP socket and a decent 3/4 drive torque wrench that will do the job. I know you're just asking for the socket. But without the torque wrench, it is of no value. Where are you going to store a 2 foot plus torque wrench on a Ryker? And how many people do you think will actually use it? Even with a long handled torque wrench you're looking at some pretty stout effort.

    Like JT said. Not only is it not practical. It's a bit much to ask BRP or a dealership to throw in.
    I'm not talking about riding around with a breaker bar, but the socket itself would be great in and when the event happens where you get a flat and a broken bead bombing around on back country two track with the closest Bombi dealer being 200 miles away, with the socket you can get to any Joe's Garage and get your tire repaired.

    BRP is advertisng the machine as an offroad vehicle and at the very least IMO BRP should provide or at least offer the socket at a reasonable price for the offroad rider, I know if it was me riding a Ryker offroad I would have the socket just to avoid a blown day driving to a Can Am dealer

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0gKBvXZgs

  4. #54
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    114
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    I'm not talking about riding around with a breaker bar, but the socket itself would be great in and when the event happens where you get a flat and a broken bead bombing around on back country two track with the closest Bombi dealer being 200 miles away, with the socket you can get to any Joe's Garage and get your tire repaired.

    BRP is advertisng the machine as an offroad vehicle and at the very least IMO BRP should provide or at least offer the socket at a reasonable price for the offroad rider, I know if it was me riding a Ryker offroad I would have the socket just to avoid a blown day driving to a Can Am dealer

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0gKBvXZgs
    The point others are trying to make is it's torqued to 221 Ft lbs. (Corrected sorry!!!) That is why they reference a torque wrench / breaker bar. You would never be able to get that nut off torqued that high with any standard ratchet you would have with you on a Ryker. You need something with significant leverage which would be way to big to keep on a Ryker.

  5. #55
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lakehills, Texas for now
    Posts
    135
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I carry a very large hex wrench 1/2" socket for my FJR's front axle but no 1/2" breaker bar. A couple years ago I blew out a front tire valve stem just after crossing the Mississippi River into Wisconsin. The closest tire shop was about 3 miles away but a phone call brought the owner's wife and a 1/2" breaker bar so I could get the tire off and taken to his shop. THAT is why I would carry the 65mm socket on the Rally. When you do find a shop to fix the tire, they or you will need it along with THEIR breaker bar and/or torque wrench. I would not hesitate to ride with a nut tightened with just a breaker bar and a cheater if no big torque wrench was readily available, at least until I could torque it properly.

  6. #56
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    114
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    I carry a very large hex wrench 1/2" socket for my FJR's front axle but no 1/2" breaker bar. A couple years ago I blew out a front tire valve stem just after crossing the Mississippi River into Wisconsin. The closest tire shop was about 3 miles away but a phone call brought the owner's wife and a 1/2" breaker bar so I could get the tire off and taken to his shop. THAT is why I would carry the 65mm socket on the Rally. When you do find a shop to fix the tire, they or you will need it along with THEIR breaker bar and/or torque wrench. I would not hesitate to ride with a nut tightened with just a breaker bar and a cheater if no big torque wrench was readily available, at least until I could torque it properly.
    I see your point (and ChicagoSpyder). I must not have caught onto the type of situation being explained (Sorry for that).

    I might just choose. to call AAA though sounds like your waiting either way. Maybe a plug type repair kit would make since like the one I carry on my ATV's that even has 6 co2 cartridges in the kit. The kit takes up very little room.

  7. #57
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    196
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    This torque spec seems to be going up with every post, it's 221 ft. lbs. + or - 11 ft. lbs per the owners manual, not 250

  8. #58
    Active Member Zoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    41
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    This torque spec seems to be going up with every post, it's 221 ft. lbs. + or - 11 ft. lbs per the owners manual, not 250
    Yeah, somebody was talking about needing a special torque wrench, and I just commented that 250 ft-lbs is fairly standard for a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

  9. #59
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    196
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Yeah, somebody was talking about needing a special torque wrench, and I just commented that 250 ft-lbs is fairly standard for a 1/2" drive torque wrench.
    Yep, my 1/2" digital Craftsman goes to 250. It's gonna take some muscle to torque it for sure.

  10. #60
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    6,247
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    BRP is advertisng the machine as an offroad vehicle and at the very least IMO BRP should provide or at least offer the socket at a reasonable price for the offroad rider, I know if it was me riding a Ryker offroad I would have the socket just to avoid a blown day driving to a Can Am dealer]
    Minor correction. BRP advertises the Ryker as an "off pavement" roadster, not an "off road" one. Huge difference. Nevertheless I share your concern. I would like to get a Ryker to ride the many mountain gravel roads in Idaho. A tire problem on one of those could be a real inconvenience since I could easily be 50 to 100 miles away from a tire shop, let alone a dealer!

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  11. #61
    Member Hartster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Elizabethtown Pa.
    Posts
    19
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Straight from the manual.
    Center-Lock-Wheel-Nut.jpg

  12. #62
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    6,247
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I just got to wondering. No one has said anything about holding the wheel so it doesn't rotate while torquing the nut. How do you guys do that, or plan to do it? I'm sure the weight of the Ryker isn't going to be enough to simply rely on tire to floor friction to hold it against 221 lb-ft of turning torque. I sometimes turn the tire on the Spyder breaking the lug nuts loose!

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  13. #63
    Active Member poli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    45
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    There's a place on the back of the front wheels to run a steel bolt through to hold it. Just make sure it's a quality bolt, bent the first one I tried.
    Spyder RTS
    Ryker Rally

  14. #64
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    Posts
    47
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    A large allen wrench works great to hold the wheel from turning and is hard so it does not bend.

  15. #65
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,395
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    I'm not talking about riding around with a breaker bar, but the socket itself would be great in and when the event happens where you get a flat and a broken bead bombing around on back country two track with the closest Bombi dealer being 200 miles away, with the socket you can get to any Joe's Garage and get your tire repaired.

    BRP is advertisng the machine as an offroad vehicle and at the very least IMO BRP should provide or at least offer the socket at a reasonable price for the offroad rider, I know if it was me riding a Ryker offroad I would have the socket just to avoid a blown day driving to a Can Am dealer

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0gKBvXZgs
    You don't see any true off-roading in this video. As mentioned before. BRP calls the Ryker Rally an 'Off Pavement' vehicle. Everything in that video is an improved road surface or equivalent. I highly recommend not using any Ryker as a true off road vehicle. I think you are going to be quite disappointed, and probably out a good deal of money in repairs if you do.

    If you are worried about flats, use Ride-On or similar. There are so many myths and wives tales about tire sealant/balancers it's hard to get past the smoke sometimes. But I use Ride-On and I like it. Could easily save you from getting stranded or paying a tow bill. And even if you never need it to seal, you'll still have the balancing affects.

    So don't buy your 65mm socket from BRP. Get this one for about $28.60 on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CT4013-65mm...oAAOSwoZlb2C5F
    That's what I did. Works great! For about $10.00 more you can get one shipped from a US based vendor if you want it quicker. A decent torque wrench will cost you a bit more. And, if you get a 1/2 drive torque wrench you'll also need one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Female-...4AAOSwpLxcdpKF

    When I and others mentioned a 250 lb. ft. torque wrench, it was not because the wheel nuts on the Ryker require this amount of torque. But because to get to 211 lb. ft. torque you will need at least a 250 lb. ft. torque wrench. A torque wrench tends to be less accurate at the lower and upper limits of their capabilities. But being about 30 lbs. away from the upper limit, a 250 lb. ft. wrench is going to be quite accurate enough, as long as you get a decent tool and you don't abuse it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  16. #66
    Active Member Tslepebull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    298
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I have had my 65 mm socket for some time but it occurred to me that it is much more likely that the shop on the road will have a 1/2 drive torque wrench than 3/4. Therefore I had just ordered the 3/4 to 1/2 inch adapter when I saw your post. Timely

  17. #67
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,395
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I have had my 65 mm socket for some time but it occurred to me that it is much more likely that the shop on the road will have a 1/2 drive torque wrench than 3/4. Therefore I had just ordered the 3/4 to 1/2 inch adapter when I saw your post. Timely
    Now that you can definitely carry on your Ryker!
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  18. #68
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    196
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    That 65mm socket from FleaBay may work but it is definitely not the correct one. If I'm torquing to 215 ft. lbs I definitely want the correct socket. I do think BRP should supply this no charge because no one but a Can Am Dealer will have one if you need a flat fixed. I guess I will bite the bullet and buy one when I pick up my Rally.

  19. #69
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,933
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    That 65mm socket from FleaBay may work but it is definitely not the correct one. If I'm torquing to 215 ft. lbs I definitely want the correct socket. I do think BRP should supply this no charge because no one but a Can Am Dealer will have one if you need a flat fixed. I guess I will bite the bullet and buy one when I pick up my Rally.
    Why do you feel the 65mm socket (normally used on some Ford Transit Connect vans) is the incorrect one? There are a wide range of quality in tools but there are some well made ones available. 65mm 12 point socket is a universal size. There is nothing special about the one from BRP other than its from OEM Tool and marked up several times as it passes through the supply chain. Its a quality socket but nothing special.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  20. #70
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,395
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    That 65mm socket from FleaBay may work but it is definitely not the correct one. If I'm torquing to 215 ft. lbs I definitely want the correct socket. I do think BRP should supply this no charge because no one but a Can Am Dealer will have one if you need a flat fixed. I guess I will bite the bullet and buy one when I pick up my Rally.
    I have removed and torqued a wheel nut with this socket. It is not of the finest quality, but it works perfectly. Not sure how the BRP socket will do any better. I did use a thin piece of plastic over the nut to protect it. But I would recommend doing this with any socket you choose. 211 lb. ft. of torque is bound to leave a mark if you don't.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  21. #71
    Active Member Tslepebull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    298
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    If I was a dealer technician and was going to be working on Rykers every day I would probably buy the BRP socket. But to me the Ebay 65 mm socket and 1/2 to 3/4 adapter will be stashed on the bike and were purchased as "get home" quaity items. That being said I will test them in the garage before I venture out so that I do not have a false sense of security.

  22. #72
    Active Member poli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    45
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have had my front off and on several times using an "eBay" socket. It's not a perfect fit but if you cover it with a plastic bag like Bajaron says, it takes up the slack and makes a perfect fit, along with protecting the nut.
    Spyder RTS
    Ryker Rally

  23. #73
    Active Member Tslepebull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    298
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Poli, I'm not sure if you have tackled the rear wheel yet but it appears the socket will need an extension so that the torque wrench clears the tire. I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Not so much with the breaker bar because it can be angled away from the tire. And I have to admit to being a bit of a tool wh..e

  24. #74
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    196
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Why do you feel the 65mm socket (normally used on some Ford Transit Connect vans) is the incorrect one? There are a wide range of quality in tools but there are some well made ones available. 65mm 12 point socket is a universal size. There is nothing special about the one from BRP other than its from OEM Tool and marked up several times as it passes through the supply chain. Its a quality socket but nothing special.
    Because the one on Fleabay isn't even shaped properly to fit the nut, that's why I think it is incorrect. The one on Fleabay is rounded where the BRP tool is more straight cut and a star pattern. Use what you want. all I'm saying is it isn't the correct one.

  25. #75
    Active Member poli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    45
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Poli, I'm not sure if you have tackled the rear wheel yet but it appears the socket will need an extension so that the torque wrench clears the tire. I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Not so much with the breaker bar because it can be angled away from the tire. And I have to admit to being a bit of a tool wh..e
    I've checked torque on rear wheel. I have a 1/2" torque wrench and with the 1/2 to 3/4 adapter, it works without any extension.
    Spyder RTS
    Ryker Rally

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •