Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    canceling my plans to purchase a Ryker until this problem is resolved! This is not my idea of riding my bike until the wheels fall off. Can-am needs to step up and resolve. It is not the owners responsibility. Dlr should pickup bike and fix or refund purchase price to owner.
    Actually, you'd probably cancel any plans to purchase any vehicle based on this protocol. There isn't a mechanical device yet made that hasn't had grave issues somewhere along the line.

In reality, I do not think there is a problem here beyond bad assembly at the dealership. We've had 1 issue like this and the only information we have about it is a likely misdiagnosis by an owner. I don't mean to demean the guy. And I am not saying he doesn't have a serious problem. But he is more mad than meticulous and gives out some obviously bad information in the video I saw.

Everyone should do what they think best. It's your money and your decision. If it were me, I'd get the Ryker as soon as possible and happily ride off into the sunset. I just wouldn't get it from the same dealership that this guy unfortunately did.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Actually, you'd probably cancel any plans to purchase any vehicle based on this protocol. There isn't a mechanical device yet made that hasn't had grave issues somewhere along the line.

In reality, I do not think there is a problem here beyond bad assembly at the dealership. We've had 1 issue like this and the only information we have about it is a likely misdiagnosis by an owner. I don't mean to demean the guy. And I am not saying he doesn't have a serious problem. But he is more mad than meticulous and gives out some obviously bad information in the video I saw.

Everyone should do what they think best. It's your money and your decision. If it were me, I'd get the Ryker as soon as possible and happily ride off into the sunset. I just wouldn't get it from the same dealership that this guy unfortunately did.
    Exactly, bad dealer delivery and 1 bad experience doesn't make for a rash decision. But, some of this responsibility definitely falls on the owner for not doing pre-ride inspections.

Spyder Garage

I think you're right. This most likely was a torque issue at the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I think you're right. This most likely was a torque issue at the dealer.
    I'm never going to torque this myself. Do you think this would be covered by the dealer (gratis) if I just wanted them to test the torque strength? I've only got 300mi myself but would this be a good preventative measure, "just in case"? Are any of you considering having your dealer check?
    2019 Can-Am Ryker 900 RE
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    I'm never going to torque this myself. Do you think this would be covered by the dealer (gratis) if I just wanted them to test the torque strength? I've only got 300mi myself but would this be a good preventative measure, "just in case"? Are any of you considering having your dealer check?
    Just put a mark from the hub nut to the hub. If the hub nut starts to back off at all you'll be able to tell. But truthfully, if the wheel gets lose at all you're going to have very noticeable issues with the front end long before a wheel actually comes off.

I fear that we are making a mountain out of a mole hill here folks. To me it is a dealer mistake combined with a rider who was not paying attention when things started to go south. I don't think his wheel actually came off (for a number of reasons). And I am not convinced that it would come completely off anyway.

What we have here is a great deal of speculation based (frankly) on statements made by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't mean to be harsh. The poor guy has gotten a raw deal, no doubt. But it isn't anything more than that. If you're worried about getting a raw deal from your dealer, that's one thing. But to say the Ryker has a major safety issue based on this guys problem is a mistake.

Spyder Garage

He said his dealer was in San Angelo that is west Texas. The Woodlands is near Houston and is about 350 miles from San Angelo. Unlikely to be the same dealer.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 04-14-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling hard!
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

He also pointed out his hand guards were loose. Kind of points to bad dealer assembly all around to me.

Spyder Garage

canceling my plans to purchase a Ryker until this problem is resolved! This is not my idea of riding my bike until the wheels fall off. Can-am needs to step up and resolve. It is not the owners responsibility. Dlr should pickup bike and fix or refund purchase price to owner.
    Just don't buy from his dealer. Sound like you were not ready to buy anyway. There's a lot of Rykers on the road having good time. Don't let 1 dealer change your mind. This is not BRP's fault. It is the dealer. Wheel did not fall off while riding.

Spyder Garage

Just for grins, I checked my existing 1/2" drive torque wrench. It has settings up to 250 ft-lbs. I don't think that is out of the ordinary. I certainly wouldn't expect any decent dealer shop to need a different torque wrench just for Ryker hubs.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yes that is the part I was referring to. If the french to english translated parts diagram is calling it an axel then so be it. That part is referred to as a hub on other vehicles. I did not look up the part name in the BRP system.
    At the risk of being accused of being anal about something that really doesn't matter, I'll respond. It's a case of two entirely different physical configurations of the parts at the center of the wheel. With the Spyder, and most all other vehicles, the wheel is mounted on the hub. The hub rotates on the spindle which is an integral part of the steering knuckle. With the Ryker there is no spindle, only a big hole in the steering knuckle. The axle (really a stub axle to my way of thinking) is fitted into the bore in the knuckle. It is the rotating member of the assembly. To my way of thinking with the Ryker the hub would be the center portion of the wheel that directly fits onto the axle!

I believe the part names are different because the parts are not even similar.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Can-Am did nothing wrong. They created a fantastic machine that uses centerlock hubs like a Formula 1 car. Just because this guys idiot dealer cant grasp the concept of 225ft/lb of torque on a lug nut, and this guy (being a dealer himself) refuses to blame his dealer, he is creating a nonsense conspiracy.
    2017 F3-T SM6 (his)| BajaRon Sway Bar, Lamonster Bright Ryder
    2019 Ryker 900 (hers) | Sport Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Rear Spoiler, Wheel Inserts/Decals

Spyder Garage

Based on this video the wheels come in the crate with the tires mounted but the dealer mounts the tire and wheel to the hub and torques it.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C&&FORM=VRDGAR

Spyder Garage

I also found photographs of Rally front and rear wheels on an "un-named" auction. The alignment pins in the front wheel appear to project the same distance from the wheel and have a groove in the distal end. The rear wheels appear to be threaded and likely bolt to the disk.

ryker wheel.jpg

ryker rear wheel.jpg

Spyder Garage

the smoke vlog talks about these wheels falling off he says dealer did not put them on right https://youtu.be/X5DoKOj3GgE

Spyder Garage

Now i see i thought the pins were in the rotor ,makes sense now.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Based on this video the wheels come in the crate with the tires mounted but the dealer mounts the tire and wheel to the hub and torques it.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Exactly! Which puts the issue squarely on the assembly process. To me it is pretty cut and dried. Some ham fisted person who should never have been left unsupervised did this poor customer a great disservice. It didn't help matters that the owner went sideways with little or no understanding of the event. I understand his being upset. But he'd have been better off getting some facts before making the videos.

Spyder Garage

Exactly! Which puts the issue squarely on the assembly process. To me it is pretty cut and dried. Some ham fisted person who should never have been left unsupervised did this poor customer a great disservice. It didn't help matters that the owner went sideways with little or no understanding of the event. I understand his being upset. But he'd have been better off getting some facts before making the videos.
    I concur.

Spyder Garage

It is worth noting that -- at least in the video -- the rear tire/wheel come mounted from the factory and are presumably torqued. I have heard no reports of looseness in the rear wheel. Hopefully what comes from this is a bulletin from BRP to the dealers about insuring the correct torque at assembly. Yes, it is in the owners manual but....

Spyder Garage

I am getting mine on the 27th from the dealer. I just let the dealer know if they can torque them on correctly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Winnex3 View Post
    the smoke vlog talks about these wheels falling off he says dealer did not put them on right https://youtu.be/X5DoKOj3GgE
    Thats it, I need life insurance. The world is coming to an end. Dogs are lying down with cats. Its the end of days.....cannot believe Smoak published a tech vlog I actually agree with.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    It is worth noting that -- at least in the video -- the rear tire/wheel come mounted from the factory and are presumably torqued. I have heard no reports of looseness in the rear wheel. Hopefully what comes from this is a bulletin from BRP to the dealers about insuring the correct torque at assembly. Yes, it is in the owners manual but....
    Honestly, I think the dealerships are well aware of the proper assembly procedure. My salesman took me out to the shop for the un-crating of my Ryker. This was last December.

As the tech was getting my Ryker out of the crate the salesmen was telling me how thrilled the tech was that he had a Snap-On torque wrench that went to 250 lbs. He said that the other Tech's had given him grief in the past about having a torque wrench with settings well beyond what he would ever need. And now he feels vindicated.

So yes, they are well aware. I don't think this was a case of BRP not doing their due diligence. I think it was a case of negligence, neglect, incompetence, lack of proper tools or a combination of all 4. Bottom line, absolutely no excuse.

I just hate to see BRP or the Ryker product get a black eye over this. It is completely undeserved.

Spyder Garage

I just hate to see BRP or the Ryker product get a black eye over this. It is completely undeserved.
    Agreed. The guy got a raw deal for sure. However, he has really caused a huge ruckus and I'm quite sick of seeing the huge amount of re-posts on the forums and facebook groups.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If nothing else he has made the importance of correct wheel nut tension recognised.It's a new model there'll be stuff like this,design is only on paper till the unwashed get hold of it.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Cool

In this video Smoak clearly shows the Ryker wheel assembly and how its put together.
    Did you notice how easy the lug nut safety pin came off? BRP could make the safety pin a bit more rigid.

https://youtu.be/SFs5t95pL2k

If torqued properly and safety pin stays in place, the lug nut will not unscrew.
    I am zip tying mine for peace of mind

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    If nothing else he has made the importance of correct wheel nut tension recognised.It's a new model there'll be stuff like this,design is only on paper till the unwashed get hold of it.
    My F3 is my summer snowmobile, and coming from the sled world you know going in on a new model that you're going to be a consumer guinea pig, it is what it is. You just hope that no one gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Groot View Post
    In this video Smoak clearly shows the Ryker wheel assembly and how its put together.
    Did you notice how easy the lug nut safety pin came off? BRP could make the safety pin a bit more rigid.

https://youtu.be/SFs5t95pL2k

If torqued properly and safety pin stays in place, the lug nut will not unscrew.
    I am zip tying mine for peace of mind
    That safety pin looks like a joke to me, and according to the guy Texas BRP doesn't give you a lug nut socket with the tool kit; what's up with that? Smells cheap to me $$
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome