Spyder Garage

Default I'm thinking about new shocks

Hi All,
    I have been riding my 2013 STL since 2015. I bought it used with 285 miles on it; now it has 13,000 on it. I replaced the original sway bar with a Baja Ron sway bar. It made a big difference in the handling. I have also had the front end aligned. It rides and handles well, but I'm considering upgrading the shocks. For those of you who have experience on this generation of ST and RS Spyders, what are your recommendations on shock upgrades? What kind should I buy, and where should I buy them?
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Shocks for an ST

I have a 2013 ST that has a BaJaRon sway bar. I initially added spring preload adjusters and felt a handling improvement.
    The ST is notoriously undersprung. Finally at Spyderfest I had stage 2 Elka shocks and springs (from an RT) added to replace my stock shocks and springs. The Elka's made an amazing improvement in stability and highway high speed tracking. No more dive in cornering or issues with cross winds or truck passing. New shocks and springs are my best farkle so far.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Our factory shocks were the Fox shocks but the springs were way too weak. So with some help of the member spacetiger on here I was able to upgrade just the springs to Eibach springs with a higher spring rate. That made a world of difference for only about $100.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering where and what part number for that set of springs that ran around $100.00. I have 2016 F3T and not sure if the same will work, but a little help as to your source and maybe I can take it from there.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Our factory shocks were the Fox shocks but the springs were way too weak. So with some help of the member spacetiger on here I was able to upgrade just the springs to Eibach springs with a higher spring rate. That made a world of difference for only about $100.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

We have a '13 STL and added the Bajaron sway bar '14. Really helped in turns but the thing was obviously WAY undersprung. Being as cheap as I am, we put off doing anything until '17 at Spyderfest we bought a new set of Elka Stage 2, front and back. Way expensive but let me tell you on the first ride I thought I stole someone else's bike. In every respect. Having shocks with some rebound was unbelievable. The OEM suspension on that '13 was junk to start with and after 4 years of 2 up riding it was really sacked. If you can afford it, I would recommend the Elkas. Just the fronts if you ride 1 up most of the time, or all around if 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Is this the shock only or shock with springs/assembly? Is the set up different for a F3T model? You got it at a rally, where on the 'net?
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    We have a '13 STL and added the Bajaron sway bar '14. Really helped in turns but the thing was obviously WAY undersprung. Being as cheap as I am, we put off doing anything until '17 at Spyderfest we bought a new set of Elka Stage 2, front and back. Way expensive but let me tell you on the first ride I thought I stole someone else's bike. In every respect. Having shocks with some rebound was unbelievable. The OEM suspension on that '13 was junk to start with and after 4 years of 2 up riding it was really sacked. If you can afford it, I would recommend the Elkas. Just the fronts if you ride 1 up most of the time, or all around if 2 up.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

What we purchased was the full Monte. Shock and spring complete. As a matter of fact, when we ordered them through the dealer, we filled out a rather complete questionnaire about our weights, riding style and one vs two up styles and percentages. They came pretty well preset for us. After having them for about a year, I have taken one more turn on the front spring adjustment but overall we are still pretty satisfied with the settings. The available settings on the Stage 2's are preload and rebound.

Hope all this helps. I know these are considered rather expensive suspensions and I can't offer any comparison to other brands but perhaps others can help along this line.
    I will tell you what we paid back then via a PM if you are interested.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    I'm wondering where and what part number for that set of springs that ran around $100.00. I have 2016 F3T and not sure if the same will work, but a little help as to your source and maybe I can take it from there.
    Buckskin
    Sorry for the delay, I sent you a PM.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin