Spyder Garage

Default Stebel Nautilus horn install 2008 Spyder RS

Hi All.. This has probably been done- BUT I thought I would post my version of adding a Stebel Nautilus horn on my 2008 RS. I found the stock horn a bit wimpy and no one even bothers to look up from their darn cell phones! So I figured the Stebel may make them take notice.
    Very simple install just behind the power panel fuse box.. the sound horns point toward the Left "nostril" and the wheel well. Simple bracket using a 1" U bolt and a 5" steel strap from hardware store (the U bolt matched the holes in the bracket) Had to ream out the top hole for the Stebel mount bolt. Swapped the nuts on the U bolt to lock nuts. The U bolt fits the frame rail perfectly.
    Wired right back to the battery- Relay is where the old horn used to be.
    Its LOUD.. Hopefully will keep things a bit safer and heard! After this install I was advided the Stebel needs the compressor vertically mounted.. so I reworked the mount- same location same sound!
    Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I'm wanting to do the same thing to mu F3L, but I can't locate where the OEM horn is located. If any F3L owner is lurking, would you please enlighten me? And is there a relay on the horn circuit?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats...

Should work well there. The oem does sound wimpy at best.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It’s just one horn so no relay required as not a lot of load. Mine was located under left nostril panel. Toot the horn and listen and feel vibrations to locate it? A relay in needed for sure on the Stebel.

Spyder Garage

Looks like the horn on the F3 is on right side under A arm need to take bottom cover off. Lots of Yourube vids showing where. Cheers

Spyder Garage

I have an F3-S and the factory horn is located on the right side. I installed a Bad Boy horn from Spyderpops and it went in on the left side. I connected to the same wiring as the factory horn. It was a pretty easy install.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Love the Nautilus. I put one on my V-Strom a few years ago. Roughly a cross between a diesel locomotive and a semi truck.

Just take my word for it... don't test fire it in the garage.

Spyder Garage

I have one one the cage, plus one of the OEM trumpet horns. The dual tone is very penetrating and gets immediate attention.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MoDZuKi View Post
    It’s just one horn so no relay required as not a lot of load. Mine was located under left nostril panel. Toot the horn and listen and feel vibrations to locate it? A relay in needed for sure on the Stebel.
    I installed my Stebel there as well on my '08 and I did use a relay.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

It's probably the same place as a standard F3, right side, bottom of the bike near the forward peg. I had to buy the service manual to find it when I replaced my horn.

Spyder Garage

A horn install will be the first electrical add-on and since there may be others, I will install a fuse block and run power to it from a relay. That way, everything I connect to the block will be relay + fuse protected and isolated from the bike's wiring.

Spyder Garage

So an UPDATE! I was advised the Stebel needs to have the compressor mounted as vertical as possible!. Since I mounted it horizontal- I rejigged the mount and added a longer mount arm (fancy bending) so its now pointed down toward the wheel well in the same corner!basically rotated it 180 degrees and back 90.
    Still fits well.. I'll update the pics.IMG_6974.jpg

Spyder Garage

I ordered this 6 terminal fuse block from Banggood.com for 1/4 the price of a lower quality one that O'Reilly's had. It will mount under the right side fuse box in the frunk area. I'll wire it per post #11. More after the fuse block arrives.
    https://www.banggood.com/DC12V24V32V...r_warehouse=CN