Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campkayakers717w View Post
    Let us know how it works. I stopped at my dealer looking for a modulator for my rtl. He said he never put one on a Spyker and was a little worried to attempt it
    Many modulators are plug and play simple to install. Put it on the low beam.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Here is a short video for a headlight modulator. This video starts out with a brake modulator that flashes 5 times then goes steady when the brakes are applied. This draws awareness of following drivers that something is happening in front of them. The headlight modulator draws attention to the bike coming at them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQcIGUy4CY
    Thanks for the video. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

My $.02. I had Diamond Star headlight and Back Off brake light modulators installed on my last bike. They absolutely work, saved my life a few times. I finally taped the sensor on the headlight off as I was embarrassed by people thinking I was an emergency vehicle and pulling off. I think they work so effectively because of the change or movement of the lights, front or rear. In this day of cell phone distracted drivers, some of them see the light change or movement when they're on video induced autopilot. Kind of drills into their subconscious.

Technical guys out there, let's take a swag at these questions;
    1. About 8900 miles after installing the modulator I lost my engine ECU. My bike had a halogen headlight, large amperage draw. I always wondered of the cycling of the headlight D/C amperage set up an undesirable A/C flicker in my D/C system, which can be bad for electronics. I did measure for that, and did see an increase of A/C present in the D/C circuit, just not technical enough to know. Though an appropriately sized capacitor would help.
    2. Legal implications of turning it off. I had considered adding a switch, but in such a manner as it could only turn the unit off, but not on. This should ease the problem of manual switching of the function. Mount the sensor as prescribed by the manufacturer, and add the switch to one leg of the circuit. This is based on the assumption that the ambient light sensor either sends a voltage reference or closes a circuit (NO circuit). Never did finalize the research on mine though. Procrastination is a terrible thing!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    1. About 8900 miles after installing the modulator I lost my engine ECU. My bike had a halogen headlight, large amperage draw. I always wondered of the cycling of the headlight D/C amperage set up an undesirable A/C flicker in my D/C system, which can be bad for electronics. I did measure for that, and did see an increase of A/C present in the D/C circuit, just not technical enough to know. Though an appropriately sized capacitor would help.
    I would say possible, but not likely. I never had a problem on my Goldwing and have never heard of pulsing of the headlight causing damaging AC.

2. Legal implications of turning it off. I had considered adding a switch, but in such a manner as it could only turn the unit off, but not on. This should ease the problem of manual switching of the function. Mount the sensor as prescribed by the manufacturer, and add the switch to one leg of the circuit. This is based on the assumption that the ambient light sensor either sends a voltage reference or closes a circuit (NO circuit). Never did finalize the research on mine though.
    Some modulators come with on/off capability to turn them off during daylight. None of them can be turned on in darkness, except if a street light is bright enough to activate it! That has happened to me a few times. The photocell works by closing the sensor circuit like a switch. The sensor circuit must be closed for the modulator to operate. You can add a switch to either leg of the sensor circuit so when you open it the sensor circuit stays open, or broken, and keeps the modulator from operating. That's what I did so I can turn it off when advisable to do so.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

RICZ the dealer was worried about the ecm picking up the modulation and throwing it off, he said the Spyker are too smart. He did look on this forum for guidance but didn't find anything definitive at the time
    2012 Rt limited , Lava bronze metallic

Spyder Garage

Here is a clip of the Spyderpops LED Bumpskid with the remote control. This setting is my basic daytime running, at night I set the remote to have the LED's steady on and drop the brightness to 25%.

I asked at the police office and they said as it just going bright to dim, not turning on and off, (i.e. not flashing) it is the same as a headlight modulator.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue