Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder head light modulator

I saw some had posted there are no headlight modulators. Kisan makes one and it has a special harness for the spyder. The number is the same as the TENERE (P115W-T4) but the harness is different and it's not listed on the websight. Call them for the special harness.. same price as the TENERE. I ordered one, I'll say how it works after install.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Watching
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pro's and con's out there, but it's a personal preference. Mine is, it is a total distraction in my rear view mirror, but that's just me and it really doesn't matter in the big picture.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Head Lights

Keep us in the loop....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I've been using a modulator on my Valkyrie for years. I can't say for sure if it has saved me from any wrecks, but I haven't had any. When I'm riding in a group and not leading, I turn the modulator off. I haven't put one on the Spyder simply because I just haven't got around to it.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

A few years ago where I live (SW Missouri/NW Arkansas) a car driver pulled out in front of a motorcycle. Luckily no injuries from the accident, but when asked, the driver said, "I saw him, but he flashed his lights for me to go." He mistook the headlight modulator as a signal, common in this area, that the rider was going to slow down to let the car go ahead of him.

Instead of the headlight modulator, we got the Spyderpops bumpskid with LED's and the remote control for the LED's. The remote lets us set the brightness, flashing mode, flashing speed and to turn the LED's on or off. During daytime normal driving we have it set to brighten and dim just like a headlight modulating. I set the lights to steady on and decrease the brightness to 25% at night.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I recall reading about a study that was done somewhere in the midwest in the early 80's. In this study, they had 300 motorists pull up to a stop sign, they were instructed to keep their eyes straight ahead, not to look either right or left. Two motorcycles approached the intersection, one from the right and one from the left. One of the motorcycles had a headlight modulator, the other had only his high beam on. The approach of each of the motorcycle was shifted at random. Each of the drivers looked in the direction of the motorcycle with the modulator every time. Since then, I have installed a modulator in every one of my two wheelers. I do remember going home from work one day and was approaching a side street when I noticed a driver stopped at a stop sign, he gave a cursory glance in the direction of the approaching traffic and started to pull out of the side street. I then saw him stop and look directly at me. He pulled up beside me at the next traffic light and said: "There's something wrong with your headlight and it made me stop and look at it". I told him that that was the intent of the modulator and that it had just payed for itself.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you leave the headlights on an RT on low beam the bouncing shutters will make it appear the lights are modulating.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Have LED headlights on my and am wondering how a headlight modulator will effect their longevity . I had modulators on my V-Max and Valkyrie---- they do get drivers attention.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have used headlight modulators for decades, but I snip off the photocell and install a switch and place it on the left handle bar. That way, I can choose when it is going to be on. I have it off when group riding and at night. When confronted with a left lane bandit at night, I flick it on and they move over pronto.
    There are different modulators for halogen and LED bulbs. If you have one for halogens and switch to LEDs, they will flash on and off, not 100% - 30% as intended.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

those things are just annoying

Spyder Garage

Question:

What does a headlight modulator?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Question:

Deanna
    It pulses the headlight from full bright (100%) to dim (30%) to garner the attention of cagers.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    And that's the point - to be noticed. When the laws first came out that motorcycles had always on headlights bikes stood out. More and more 4 wheelers now have always on headlights so the motorcycles get lost in the lights behind them. The modulators make the light stand out and draw attention that there is something to pay attention to there.
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Question:

Deanna
    Here is a short video for a headlight modulator. This video starts out with a brake modulator that flashes 5 times then goes steady when the brakes are applied. This draws awareness of following drivers that something is happening in front of them. The headlight modulator draws attention to the bike coming at them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQcIGUy4CY

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    but I snip off the photocell and install a switch and place it on the left handle bar. That way, I can choose when it is going to be on. I have it off when group riding and at night. When confronted with a left lane bandit at night, I flick it on and they move over pronto.
    You just better hope the car coming toward you isn't an LEO. You could end up paying a hefty fine, especially if he learns you have the photocell disabled.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    I would much rather have a driver see me and be pi**ed off than not see me and run into me. Most of the time it is best to turn it off while in a group ride.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

If you have one for halogens and switch to LEDs, they will flash on and off, not 100% - 30% as intended.
    Kisan makes modulators for both LED and halogen. Others might make them for LEDs now also but a few years ago Kisan was the only one. The LEDs do kind of look like they flash. When I installed mine I was sure the lights went all the way off so I took a video of them. When I played it back frame by frame I could see they did drop to about 20 to 30% brightness and not all the way off.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You just better hope the car coming toward you isn't an LEO. You could end up paying a hefty fine, especially if he learns you have the photocell disabled.
    Headlight modulators are DOT legal in all 50 states.

USA - Department of Transportation:

FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in Section S7.9.4.

Title 49 USC 30103(b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108. No State or Local ordinance shall usurp the authority and enforcement of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
    S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the
    upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser
    intensity, provided that:
    (a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 [plusmn]40 cycles per minute.
    (b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70
    percent of each cycle.
    (c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17
    percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
    (d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam
    filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
    (e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam
    remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
    (f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its
    sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation
    shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament
    light operating at 3000[deg] Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 footcandles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux
    (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The
    light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at
    the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray
    Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface
    in testing downward pointing sensors.
    (g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9,
    the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test
    conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater
    than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard
    after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
    (h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam
    function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either
    the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
    S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as
    original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum
    wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally,
    each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when
    connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the
    minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam
    functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
    Rules Regarding Motorcycles and Motor Driven Cycles
    (b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the
    light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road
    surface, and orientation with respect to the light.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 04-14-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Additional Clarification

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I ran modulators that way (switched) since they hit the market in the late 70s. I also ran a device that turned the amber rear signals into running / brake / signals and never got cited and that is clearly illegal. My guess is cops are tolerant of riders trying to save their butts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Headlight modulators are DOT legal in all 50 states.
    Yes, I know that. I guess I should have made it more clear I was responding specifically to this part of RICZ's post:
    but I snip off the photocell and install a switch and place it on the left handle bar...... at night. When confronted with a left lane bandit at night, I flick it on and they move over pronto.
    The regulation, as you quote above, states:
    (f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its
    sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation
    shall cease whenever the level of light....
    As soon as you cut the photocell off of the modulator it no longer conforms to the rules regulating modulators. That means the modulator is no longer legal. Note that the regulation uses the word "shall". That means it is mandatory, not optional. Why? The sensor is required so that the modulator WILL NOT operate at night. By making the on/off operation dependent solely on a switch you have defeated that restriction. So, again, as soon as you turn your modulator on at night to get a crowding driver to move over, you have violated the regulation.

It's because of these violations of the regulations controlling the operation and configuration of the modulator that I said RICZ had better hope the oncoming driver isn't an LEO. Use it ONLY during daylight and you'll be OK.

BTW, you can add a switch into the photocell wire to turn the modulator off during the daytime. Just leave the photocell in the circuit so it'll turn the modulator off at night and you'll be OK.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

My guess is cops are tolerant of riders trying to save their butts.
    Don't count on it. A year ago last fall an Idaho State Trooper gave me a ticket for flashing lights. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...o+state+police. The prosecuting attorney had the judge dismiss it. Last fall a local yokel stopped me and asked about it. After some discussion he went on his way. I told the chief about it and he did the research and found out I was correct. I asked him to make sure all his officers were made aware of modulators.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

To clarify; I only switch the modulator on briefly at night on urban freeways to shoo a slow poke out of the fast lane. Oncoming LEO would have to go to the next exit and come back on in my direction, so if any have seen me, they opted to pass on it. FYI; Traffic enforcement in Portland is as lax as enforcement on illegals and those concrete campers.

Spyder Garage

Let us know how it works. I stopped at my dealer looking for a modulator for my rtl. He said he never put one on a Spyker and was a little worried to attempt it
    2012 Rt limited , Lava bronze metallic

Spyder Garage

It pulses the headlight from full bright (100%) to dim (30%) to garner the attention of cagers.
    Thanks for the answer. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue