Spyder Garage

Default LED headlights in a RSS

Has anyone put the new style LED's in an RSS - I have to replace one of the halogen ones and wanted to upgrade unless there isn't enough room under the gage
    thanks
    ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

Have not done a extensive search but so far I have not found a kit or set for the GS,RS,RSS models. If you find one let us know....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have not done a extensive search but so far I have not found a kit or set for the GS,RS,RSS models. If you find one let us know....
    I fitted leds to the lower lights ln a 08 gs today.they are hb3 in Australia. Any hb3 will fit.i use jw speaker here in aus.dont be tempted to buy cheapies

Spyder Garage

Got LED's in high/low, fog and running lights, got them from a company I used to work for CarId. Love them direct fit 20161124_165343.jpg20161124_165343.jpg
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I just fitted LED's to my 2008 RS TODAY I'll post a tutorial on how to do it! Theres some tricky things about the rertainers that need to be addressed!..
    Cheers Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I replaced mine with HID, I ended up pulling cougar head off.
    Just not enough room in there... I bent the flimsy metal holder on my first RS also when I did that one too.
    Bulb size is h7 and I would think any h7 led replacement could fit but most vendors do have physical dimension listed.
    Also, I think I’ve seen a vendor here have them.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

banggood.com for direct fit replacement
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I replaced my low beam and high beam globes with LEDs and then did the 4 eyes conversion so that when I switch from low to high beam the lows get turned back on. Well worth the money.
    2014 RSS , 4 eyes conversion for headlights, 12v socket, 2x USB Ports, CTEK Charging Port. Black and White

Spyder Garage

Working on my 08 today, 2nd attempt at LED headlights. 1st one I bought a style of bulb that would not work with the power connector.
    Now got Mercedes style clips but had a very hard time trying to put them in place. Might have to take the whole head off, space is too tight for my hands.
    Foglights were easy to change, but got "limp home mode" after installation. It's weird how sensitive the computer is to LED lights. Had same problem with the tail lights but solved it today adding 2 sockets and keeping the halogen lighs tucked inside.

Anyone had the Limp problem with LED headlights?

Spyder Garage

LEDs are a pain. Here are the pictures of my process putting LEDs in my 08 GS.Spyder3.jpgSpyder1.jpgSpyder2.jpg

Spyder Garage

I personally would find it extremely helpful if those of you who find a direct fit LED replacement for the H7 headlight bulbs on our GS, RS, RSS models would please give the part # and supplier/link for them

I don't find it at all helpful when a post says: Amazon or Banggood has them as the choice is huge

Also, if you need to buy a pair of clips for them, I find stating 'Mercedes clips work' is not enough info. Exactly which model Mercedes would help as well as part #, supplier, link.

Thank you, rant over. Have a nice day!
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jayallday01 View Post
    LEDs are a pain. Here are the pictures of my process putting LEDs in my 08 GS.Spyder3.jpgSpyder1.jpgSpyder2.jpg
    How do you get the dash up like that? I'm 100% new to motorcycles, bought the Spyder in December, will be registered this week, now that weather will get somewhat better.

Also, have you had any problems with Limp Mode after the LEDs installation?

Spyder Garage

In the middle picture there is that square bracket in the center. There are 2 10mm bolts that hold it down. They are not easy to get to, unless you have a swivel socket and lots of patience. you may have to trim the plastic piece right behind there to wiggle the console out. Once you get it it out, access is much much better.
    So far I have not had any issues with limp mode.

Spyder Garage

My HID Xenon Kit arrives tomorrow, figured I need to pull the gauge cluster to do my bar risers, so I might as well get these done. I found a nicer set that are not returns for 114 dollars, and bought them, I think there are two more sets on FleaBay under 200. One of them looks like a return item, and I cant stand when people send stuff back after giving up on a project. Anyway, I hope it goes well, the stock H7's suck.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RSS and I just removed the dash cluster and fitter the LED globes in through the hole easy as.
    2014 RSS , 4 eyes conversion for headlights, 12v socket, 2x USB Ports, CTEK Charging Port. Black and White