Spyder Garage

Default Few Q's about servicing

Hello friends, a few questions about my 1st 3k service. I bought a new 2017 RT limited and rode most the winter. I am ready for my service and would like to just do it my self. No issues for me to do the oil change. But would like to know a few other things.

1 If I get the BRP kit from my dealer does this get added to my maintenance records?

2 Is there anything else I need to get for the first service ? Or any recommendations.

3 Should I get the connections to do the software upgrade and tune my bike?

4 Any thing magical they do at the dealer that I can not do myself?

5 Any real downside for my bike doing it myself?

Thank you all in advance !
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey / Chrome

Spyder Garage

The hours between last service will not be reset on your bike. Meaning, from a BRP perspective it will not look like you have serviced your bike. If you do it yourself make sure and keep your purchase records so you can show service has been completed if you have a problem. The other option is your dealer may reset your service hours counter if you ask them. I suggest you rely on your dealer for SW upgrades as I don't know if you can get the BUDS application and connector for doing this on your own. I've done my own services up until the 30K service which I had the dealer do as it's a big service and I wanted someone else's eyes on the bike besides mine.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I have always had the first service done by the dealer and then do my own after that. Do keep your receipts for the purchase of the oil and filters with a dated record of when performed as well as the mileage. You may need to prove that it was done incase of a warranty claim.
    For software updates I bring it to the dealer.
    Nothing magical about servicing the Spyder, and it's a great way to get to know it!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree with having the dealer do the first service. Although it may be no problem for you to do the oil & filter change I think it wise to have the dealer check everything else on the inspection list per your operator's guide. Have them certify on the inspection page in the OG. Pick the technician's brains too about anything you want to know about your machine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had some warranty work done on my 14 RT …… I have NEVER had ANY dealer servicing ….. That was never discussed …….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've had some warranty work done on my 14 RT …… I have NEVER had ANY dealer servicing ….. That was never discussed …….. Mike
    Same here with my dealer, but sadly not all dealers operate this way, so better to have and not need!

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't know about the USA dealers regarding warranty if you service yourself, but here in OZ I do all my own servicing then take it to the dealer with oil/filter/o-rings receipts. I ask them to check the oil so they know it's been changed. Also tell them not to touch the belt alignment/tension. I let them check the usual ie lights/brakes/indicators etc. which I know are working perfectly. They take it for a test ride & i'm charged $50. I only do this as the bike is now on record as having been serviced. When the warranty runs out, the dealer probably won't see the bike again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papadukes View Post
    Hello friends, a few questions about my 1st 3k service.
    When I bought mine, they told I need a 600 mile “break-in” service.
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

Spyder Garage

Small update, I did work it out with the dealer and got my 1st service completed for less then 300 ! I was able to do that and only took about 1 1/2 hrs all and all was a good experience
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey / Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSpyder View Post
    When I bought mine, they told I need a 600 mile “break-in” service.
    You need to find a dealer who knows what he's doing. First service on yours is at 3000 miles.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I do the same thing I do with all my vehicles. I keep a box for each with all of the receipts in an envelope, all of the used, replace parts in a labeled ziplock, including oil filter in a second ziplock. I keep these until I get rid of the vehicle. Nice for resale to have every receipt and proof of fuel pump, timing belt, or AC clutch replacement for example. A receipt for 5gal of oil and 3 Spyder oil filters doesn't prove I did the job. Perhaps all that oil went into the Golf TDI or the F350 PS.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

Change your oil and filter, keep the receipt(s) and a record for service....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue