Spyder Garage

Default How many miles is too many?

I live in Wisconsin so our riding time is very short! Unfortunately as soon as the weather started cooperating the dealers jacked up the prices a good $2000 to the point that I think I am better off just getting a good deal on a leftover '18 model. I did come across a used 2015 RT limited today through a private owner. Couldn't believe he had 79,000 miles on it. Most of the used models I see here are 20-30,000 and I really don't know what the expectancy is of the RT's or where they start having problems. He did have all the maintenance records through a dealer.
    Any help would be appreciated, any high mileage riders or or anyone with knowledge of a specific range where more problems seem to pop up your advice would really help.

Thanks guys,
    Paul

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 14 RT with the same engine as the 15 RT …. I EXPECT to get at least 250,000 miles from it ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I am conservative. I would not buy a used bike with over 50K on the odometer. Always get the history on the particular used bike you buy. Any dealer can run the VIN. You will be able to see if it had "usual" maintenance or extra repairs because it had issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Only you know if it is right for you. I would say if you don't put on a lot of miles, its your first spyder, you want to try riding one for awhile, and the price was real low, then go for it; the mileage should not be a problem. Now if you want to ride long trips putting on a lot of mileage, know an RT is what you want get the left over 2018 with the warrantee and upgraded equipment. is what I think you should get or should I say I would get. In the end its your call
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

We traded our 2014 RT in with 84,000 miles. It runs great so I would expect no less then 200,000 miles from it.

If the one you are looking at has been maintained then it still has more then 1/2 it life left. That being said I would not pay more than $8,000 for it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Regarding the comment, "I would not pay more than $8,000 for it" bothers me. I have a 14 RT. I have upgraded it so much, like about $9K. So when I sell it, someone is going to go to a source like NADA and they will quote the proper price is.... So what do I and any other potential seller do? Just eat all of the upgrades. Serious upgrades, not cosmetics and lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Regarding the comment, "I would not pay more than $8,000 for it" bothers me. I have a 14 RT. I have upgraded it so much, like about $9K. So when I sell it, someone is going to go to a source like NADA and they will quote the proper price is.... So what do I and any other potential seller do? Just eat all of the upgrades. Serious upgrades, not cosmetics and lights.
    Upgrades are worth nothing really. They are worth something to you because you paid for them and wanted them but when it comes time to sell the upgrades are only worth something to a buyer if they actually want and see value in them. NADA, KBB,, etc are all just guides on values. Ultimately something (anything you sell) is worth what someone will pay you for it. If you want to re-coop the cost (or some of the costs) of your "upgrades" you're going to have to find a specific buyer that also sees value in them.

That or remove the upgrades and sell separately from the bike.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Upgrades are worth nothing really. They are worth something to you because you paid for them and wanted them but when it comes time to sell the upgrades are only worth something to a buyer if they actually want and see value in them. NADA, KBB,, etc are all just guides on values. Ultimately something (anything you sell) is worth what someone will pay you for it. If you want to re-coop the cost (or some of the costs) of your "upgrades" you're going to have to find a specific buyer that also sees value in them.

That or remove the upgrades and sell separately from the bike.
    100%. When you spend a lot of money on upgrades, you really need to intend on keeping the bike. If not, you will be looking at a loss. Upgrades on the bike are only worth about 25-33% of their value, and if you take them off and sell, they might be worth 50% of their value. As for pricing and milage, you have to decide if it is a purchase that you plan on keeping, or selling. If you think you might sell soon (in a couple of years), then you need to get it at a killer deal. Because the next buyer might not be willing to pay as much for a higher milage vehicle. I try to pay around trade in value for a used vehicle. I will never pay more than private party value for a vehicle. And when someone talks about it NADA, KBB, or other values like that, I just walk away. I will never pay close to that, even for a new vehicle.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

A bike with higher mileage sometimes is a good buy vs. a bike that is say 10 years old with 10K miles on it. Just like a car, if it sits around most of the time things tend to gum up in the engine. I would rather buy a 3 year old vehicle with 70K miles on it that has been driven everyday by a salesman than a 10 year old car with 20K miles that has been driven by a little old lady from Pasadena.

Now if the plan is to keep the bike for a long time, then a new carryover model would be my choice.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Now if the plan is to keep the bike for a long time, then a new carryover model would be my choice.
    AND.....if you can find one, a '17 would be even better.
    No electronic dashboard that requires a smart phone.

Does that dealer carry Rykers ??
    I wonder if his price would change any if you mention that you are looking at a Ryker at another dealer ........for a price of, what, maybe $15K less ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    A sorry fact about farkles on a , as well as other motorcycles. One usually never gets their money out of upgrades. The farkles make it your bike...but not necessarily the other person cup of tea. The horrible reality is that farkles are worth between 50% and ZERO...depending on the winds at the time of the trade or sale.

A lot of people trying to get their money they invested in upgrades fall very short when they try to re-sell. The going resale price seems to be somewhere between wholesale and suggested retail...which is inflated usually by a couple $K.

We see many ads here where there are five hundred lookers and no takers. They have it priced to high by putting a high value on the farkles. The site is full of bargain hunters and they know when something is overpriced.

Farkles and upgrades should be looked at as a "sunk" cost.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-11-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

With proper maintenance, the ROTAX engine should outlast the rest of the Spyder. I've had my pilot's license since 1972 and owned my own airplane at one time. With required aircraft engine maintenance like 100-hour inspections, etc, aircraft engines last for decades. Can-Am uses the ROTAX engine, which is a variation of the same aircraft engine used in airplanes from that manufacturer. With proper routine engine maintenance, the wheels should fall off your Spyder long before the engine fails. So if you don't neglect the maintenance on the REST of your Spyder too (don't let the wheels fall off it), you should be fine for well into the 6-digit mileage numbers. That's one of the reasons I decided on a Spyder instead of "triking" something like a Gold Wing or a Harley. It's the equivalent of a motorcycle with an airplane-quality engine in it...if you take care of it properly.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I saw the one you are looking at in Wiscosnin. He is a little over priced. You can find dealer new 2017 and some 2018 for $4 to 6 thousand more. If he came down a few thousand, it might be worth it, depending what shape it really is in.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    AND.....if you can find one, a '17 would be even better.
    No electronic dashboard that requires a smart phone.

Does that dealer carry Rykers ??
    I wonder if his price would change any if you mention that you are looking at a Ryker at another dealer ........for a price of, what, maybe $15K less ??
    Well I have to disagree with there. There is no reason not to buy a 2018 because of the new dash display. It is likely because you do not have 2018 or 2019 model that you do not understand how it works. There is no need or requirement for a smartphone for the dash to work. It works just fine without anything paired to it. Just like 2017 and earlier models. But if you do want to BT pair a phone and your helmet(s). It works very well. Can't do that with a 2017. If you do have a smartphone. Then you can plug it into the dash and display some apps right on your Spyders screen. That does not work so well. But you still can't do that at all on a 2017.

To sum up the new dash on 2018's and later is still better then the older dash. Even if you use it without anything paired or plugged into it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Speaking of recovering your costs... some years ago I was buying a Suzuki SV650. A nice low-mileage example a couple of years old popped up just down the block. I looked it over, rode it, everything was great. Then it came to price.. the owner was asking MORE THAN LIST Price for the equivalent new bike. He explained that he had bought an extended service plan, jacket, and helmet etc. and rolled it all into the loan - so he had to get more than new price out of the bike so he wouldn't lose money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Well I have to disagree with there. There is no reason not to buy a 2018 because of the new dash display.
    Along with the new "display" came many other changes that makes it harder to get a completely integrated audio system.
    No integrated GPS available.
    No passenger intercom.
    No integrated CB.
    If you want those things, you have to worry about compatibility with a smart phone, for instance.

And yes, I know how those kinds of things work.
    I have refused to buy cars where they advertise all kinds of fancy features, only to find out that getting them to work requires you to download an app. to your smartphone.......with no guarantee that it will work.

I am glad you like yours.
    I would not have a Spyder if that was the only option available when I was shopping.