Spyder Garage

Default WOW... we were SOOOO LUCKY (not to be in BIG trouble)

Two years ago, I bought us a used aluminum trailer to haul our Spyder south in order to ryde in FL all winter. A friend had the trailer built to haul his own RT; he then got a toy hauler, and I bought his trailer for our F3L. It was in good shape, with decent rubber. He had made the return trip south 3 or 4 times; we have now done it twice. I always give the tires a quick view before heading out; I grease bearings at the same time. I thought we were in decent shape when we headed north on March 31st, on a planned 2-day 2300 km (1500 mi) drive back to Ontario. Tires seemed OK; a bit worn, but passable. One had a slow leak that I was monitoring/checking along the way. We arrived home safely on April 1. Turned out that we narrowly avoided catastrophe. No Joke!!!

The photos below explain how VERY, VERY LUCKY we were. Right side trailer tire went completely flat a couple of days later. When I removed to get it repaired, I was surprised to see the de-lamination that was starting. I checked the other side. It was still fully inflated, but had lost a sizeable chunk of tread. Amazing that neither tire suffered a blow-out on the Interstate. And, yeah, we were travelling along in the 'flow' at the limit (maybe even a bit more).

So, we were extremely fortunate. The agent at the tire shop where I have just bought two new tires suggested I should also be buying a handful of lottery tickets (seeing as how the 'lucky stars' were with us). All I can think of is: LET THIS BE A LESSON TO ME!!!

I pass it along to any others who might want to take more than a cursory look at their own trailer tires before setting out. I thought mine 'looked OK'. Obviously, they barely were. Curiously enough, these tires were 6 years old, and probably had no more than 35,000 km (22,000 mi) on them. Looks can be deceiving.
    20190409_105509.jpg flat.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update. Buy a lottery ticket. It cannot hurt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep, you dodged a bullet ...………. #1.- 6 year old tires …. that's getting close to OLD as far as rubber is concerned, #2.- were the tires covered so they weren't in the SUN ( UV damage will shorten tire life ).. #3. were the tires OFF the Ground, they should not be constantly getting wet & then dry ! .... Plus on the ground, can cause flat spots - that you might not see ….. #4. - there are about 7-8 grades of trailer tires - what were yours listed at ????? …………. Just things everyone that tows should consider ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

WOW! glad you were ok.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your insight Mike... very valuable advice, and much appreciated!!!
    I agree, tires were getting on; I was planning to replace. Should have done it sooner.
    Tires weren't covered, but trailer is stored in semi-shaded areas, and tires were up on paving stones rather than bare earth. Trailer is moved frequently when not in use towing. Tires were listed as having adequate weight bearing capacity, but not a lot to spare. Like many others, I see in retrospect that I was far too casual in my expectations; one reason for my post is the hope that my near mistake may help others avoid the same.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Wow!! you were very lucky and really glad that it is a lesson learned without serious consecuences....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I agree, tires were getting on; I was planning to replace. Should have done it sooner.
    Tires weren't covered, but trailer is stored in semi-shaded areas, and tires were up on paving stones rather than bare earth. Trailer is moved frequently when not in use towing. Tires were listed as having adequate weight bearing capacity, but not a lot to spare. Like many others, I see in retrospect that I was far too casual in my expectations; one reason for my post is the hope that my near mistake may help others avoid the same.
    Google …. E-Trailer.com ….. They are a well respected retailer , check out what they have for tires …. there is quite a range of Weight capabilities & number of PLIES …… you don't need to buy just get some good info ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Good on you for sharing ………….. Your thread was beyond what most Trailer threads are about --- but far more important ……. on another note , I ( and many others here ) have found that placing a HD ratchet strap ( or a med. ) over the tire in line with the TREAD ….. secure the strap to the trailer bed and crank it tight …. your Spyder won't move ….. I only use one strap but you can do one, two or all three wheels/tires ….. The car and truck haulers of High end cars use this same method when they transport cars/trks. …. Nothing can get scratched or bent and thew veh's don't move inside the truck …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Good on you for sharing ………….. Your thread was beyond what most Trailer threads are about --- but far more important ……. on another note , I ( and many others here ) have found that placing a HD ratchet strap ( or a med. ) over the tire in line with the TREAD ….. secure the strap to the trailer bed and crank it tight …. your Spyder won't move ….. I only use one strap but you can do one, two or all three wheels/tires ….. The car and truck haulers of High end cars use this same method when they transport cars/trks. …. Nothing can get scratched or bent and thew veh's don't move inside the truck …… Mike
    Agree; tie-downs are crucial to safe trailering. In fact, I use 5 separate straps for my Spyder. Some would call this 'over-kill', but I believe in 'fail-safe' systems. Taking the extra precaution only adds a few minutes time. I have a separate strap for each wheel, through the bottom of the rims (using a lamb's wool sheath to prevent any rubs); these each have a ratchet lock mounted on the trailer and are firmly snugged down. In addition, I use two separate single rachet straps, one at front, another at rear, as 'back-up' or safety straps; these go through sturdy part of Spyder frame to different part of trailer frame and are just barely tightened - no heavy stress on bike; only enough to prevent escape if the rim tie-downs fail. I may be anal, but my load ain't going anywhere unintended if I can help it. Personally, I wouldn't rely on only one strap. I always use several. And, I check the tension at every opportunity along the way. I have seen straps wear through, fray, separate over time. Figure having an extra one in place costs less than any repair bill.

Thanks again for your input.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Agree; tie-downs are crucial to safe trailering. In fact, I use 5 separate straps for my Spyder. Some would call this 'over-kill', but I believe in 'fail-safe' systems. Taking the extra precaution only adds a few minutes time. I have a separate strap for each wheel, through the bottom of the rims (using a lamb's wool sheath to prevent any rubs); these each have a ratchet lock mounted on the trailer and are firmly snugged down. In addition, I use two separate single rachet straps, one at front, another at rear, as 'back-up' or safety straps; these go through sturdy part of Spyder frame to different part of trailer frame and are just barely tightened - no heavy stress on bike; only enough to prevent escape if the rim tie-downs fail. I may be anal, but my load ain't going anywhere unintended if I can help it. Personally, I wouldn't rely on only one strap. I always use several. And, I check the tension at every opportunity along the way. I have seen straps wear through, fray, separate over time. Figure having an extra one in place costs less than any repair bill.

Thanks again for your input.
    The method you are using Absolutely works ………. However imho … the people who move $1,000,000 + vehs. have the best way nailed. … The people who own these veh's won't allow even the undercoating to get scratched ……. What I do is show the way - whether that works for you is your decision …… Back in 09 it was considered absolute Heresy to suggest you can use Auto tires on a Spyder …. I put them on my 08 and next two had/have them, I recommended the General Altimax RT43, and thousands of members here began using them …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I agree with Mike, thanks for sharing, the average person gets comfortable with marginal tires. Another thing is I have always bought a tandem axle trailer as I like the comfort of the extra tire on the pavement. That was a good heads up post.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant